Reward Charts For Toddlers – How To Make Them Work For You

Discussion in 'Kinacle Blog Posts' started by Kinacle (Bot), Mar 12, 2018.

1. Kinacle (Bot)

Kinacle (Bot) Member

2. ABlessed

ABlessed Member

I think using a reward chart is a great idea, but as with so many other things, it all depends on the parent. It is a simple way to teach a child about the type of system that we live in, in the world. Most adults go to work because they want to make money, not necessarily because they just love their job so much. Some people go because they love their work, but most people go to work for the paycheck that they get. A reward chart is a simple way to teach a child from an early age that certain actions (not behaviors) are rewarded.

The chart can be changed from the child receiving stickers to the child getting a small allowance as the child gets older. If the parents are diligent and keep up with this type of thing, the child will in many ways be ahead of the game as far as learning how our world economy works. Starting kids off young with good practical lessons about life can pay great dividends.

Elsa likes this.
  3. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

This is a very interesting article and a great way to bring one's child up in good way. I'm definitely getting this little piece of information to all my family members to incorporate it into their child upbringing.
    Thanks for sharing, it's really helpful.

Elsa likes this.
  4. Mika

Mika Active Member

I am aware of Reward Chart system which is good way of encouraging toddlers work better and keep them in discipline. I agree that some children behave better in order to get those rewards but I personally feel that praising your children for their good behavior is as good as giving them stickers. In fact, I have never used this method while my daughter was growing up but I always encouraged her with appreciating her for her behavior and other good work.

Elsa likes this.
  5. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Yes, I totally agree with what you said about starting them young on practical lessons. That would teach them a lot about the value of hardwork and money. These days, kids do not appreciate how hard their parents work so they could have money for them because they got it easy, without doing anything. A good reward system should give them a good idea which would be useful in the future.

6. Elsa

That's great to hear! Thank you for sharing these really helpful tips with your family and friends.

7. Elsa

Kind words and praises are also great in helping kids learn discipline. They don't have to be rewarded with material things all the time. Children are still 'shallow' and are able to appreciate praises for good behavior.

tallulah and Mika like this.
  8. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I suppose that it is worth a try and certain kids respond to certain things, so if there is that ability to customize it a little bit than all the better. Just don't be so quick to give out those rewards though as you will want some sort of challenge, but I guess it also depends on what the rewards are. In short, I like the flexibility.

Elsa likes this.
  9. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

Took the words out of my mouth! You don't have to reward your child with toys and gifts all the time. You can raise up great children by just affirming their strengths, and praising them and encouraging them. Children flourish under these conditions more.

Elsa and Heatman like this.
  10. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

You are absolutely right about that, kids also enjoy praises and a pat on the back for doing well or something good. It serves as a good motivation for them to do better and get more of such recognition from their parents. Although care should be taken not to do it too often because it may put in them the spirit of pride.

11. Mika

Mika Active Member

In fact children become demanding or at least they expect something every time they do something. I would go to the extent that in most cases children become greedy. If you fail to provide them a gift for their good work they don't take interest doing what is expected of them.

12. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

My granddaughter was a bed wetter and we used the reward chart to try and encourage dry nights. It didn't work at all but that was probably down to the fact that it was outside her control. She was wet until she was nearly 8 years and then she had the chance to go to Disneyland, Paris, with the Brownies. That was the turning point, she became dry and has never ever had a wet night since in 4 years!

Reward charts are good for other issues though, good behaviour, eating vegetables (my sister encouraged her son to eat then with a star chart). If it works for you, go for it, there's no harm.

Elsa likes this.
  13. ABlessed

ABlessed Member

I agree, especially in today's world where kids see YouTubers making crazy videos, and making more money than their parents have ever made. Cell phones, the Internet, so many conveniences.
    I've heard at least a couple of adults say that if they would have learned about money when they were younger, they would have been much better equipped for the real world. It is so interesting to me that financial literacy is not really taught in grades K through 12.

Elsa likes this.
  14. Elsa

Yes, I think so too. Financial literacy taught at an early age should be incorporated in classes as soon as kids are able to comprehend the value of money. It would teach them to be wise about money early on, and not become spendthrifts in adulthood.

15. Elsa

I totally agree! :)

16. ABlessed

ABlessed Member

I very much 100% agree with this. I was raised well, but did not learn all that much about money. Money is such an important part of society that I'm very surprised that it is not taught in schools on a regular basis from kindergarten on. As someone who has had challenges throughout my life because of not being financially literate to the degree that I needed to be, I am very much a proponent of children learning about money early, the earlier the better. That way being financially savvy becomes second nature to them.

Elsa likes this.
  17. Elsa

You can definitely customize the rewards anytime. Sometimes, it would also depend on the child. Parents know their child better than anyone else so they will know what the child would like the most and use that as a reward. Some kids also get inspired by simple words of encouragement and praise alone :)

18. Elsa

Yes, I agree with you that the reward system only applies to certain things like good behavior, etc. It will definitely not work for circumstances that are beyond a child's control like bedwetting as you mentioned.

littlewitch66 likes this.
  19. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

Looking back it was a bad move on my part because she used to get so disappointed when she couldn't earn a star. However, live and learn, she became dry in her own time and we have never looked back.

Elsa likes this.
  20. Elsa

Yes, we do have hits and misses as parents. We could only hope and pray that some of our bad moves do not have ill or lasting effects on our kids' personalities. Somehow, they would be able to overcome it as they start to understand and get a better perspective on things :)

littlewitch66 likes this.
  21. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

This is a good way of nurturing a good behavior from the toddlers. By practice we do praise our kids for doing good, for achieving something for the first time and encourage them to keep doing that.

Sometimes we give them a treat. We bring them to their favorite snack house. Or sometimes we bring them to the public plaza and let them play as a reward for b