Should a teenager study or work?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Jason76, May 10, 2018.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Should it be something in-between? Well, anyway, I am referring to real jobs, not chores around the house.

So what would be some pros and cons of working vs studying? Well, for one thing, a lot of work can be bad because it steals time away from homework.

Kieranlewix likes this.
  2. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

In my opinion, they should study and work. They can never go wrong with studying, but when they opt to work full-time when schools are closed, there may be two outcomes. Having a real job works great for most teens and actually makes them closer to their parents because they get to understand the hustle their parents put in to provide for them. It also makes them much more responsible and dependable. On the other hand, it can have a negative impact on your kid. When they are working and earning a couple of bucks, they may start to feel too independent. This may drive a wedge between the parent and the kid when he/she starts to feel they no longer need you. They can buy themselves whatever they need so they don't have to listen to you. This is actually how most teenagers get money to buy drugs.

Jason76 likes this.
  3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I had experienced working while still a student. Although the work was just part time, I would say that it is a diversion from the studies. A professional student is the best status because you can focus on the studies and maybe you can even aspire for honors. Having a job for a student is one difficult situation that's why most colleges here give preference to the working students by being lenient to them when it comes to homework and extra curricular projects.

4. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

They should do both, that will teach them the value of time management as well as of the money. However, In India, the teenagers are dependent on their parents for everything and so that is not an issue here. But for teenagers who work while they are studying, it proves to be a good lesson for them and also can give pointers to their career ahead.

5. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

In the US, I know a lot of professors grant favors to military people taking courses.

I guess you'd have to examine the personality of the teen. But how well do parents really know their kids?

Kieranlewix likes this.
  6. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Well, in my opinion if the work isn't something that would be too stressful for the teenager to handle, regardless of age then I see nothing wrong with it.

I had a poultry job maintenance when I was 17 years. I was managing a farm for my uncle and was getting paid. I had to breed my own birds at home as well.

7. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I always think it's good to let the teenagers to experience the real life work, not really to earn money, but to let them learn more life skills and might also build up their confidence, responsibilities and other good characters too. Moreover, while working, they will get to know more people who are older and more mature than them, and they might gain wisdom from others too. Moreover, working might allow them understand better what they really want to do in their life, instead of just studying in school.

I don't think teenagers should drop the school and concentrate on work only, but I think it's good to let the teenaged students experience the real world working life and learn more. I think kids should always be learning, but not just studying the text books and preparing for the exams.

8. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

I would think that there would be pros and cons to this situation- and some good things about working in high school- is that the teen would gain some good communication skills and also learn how to work with others towards a common goal. Also it teaches the teen a work ethic and the value of a dollar as well. Some cons would be, increased stress while going to high school-and while dealing with things at work, you also have to deal with courses and exams and that could be tough sometimes.

nangk08 likes this.
  9. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

That is so true. Working while studying also teach the students to handle pressure and deal with difficult situations and problems quite well. Teens who do not work while studying may not learn these things and so find it very difficult to handle pressure as well as adapt to different conditions while working later on.

10. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

I think that it is best for a kid, especially in High school to spend much more time studying and less time working. It is good to give them just a little taste of work and salaries because once they feel that money is sweeter than books, that's how kids become dropouts. In other cases, the kid becomes an absentee in school and sneaks off to work a part time job.

11. cmoneyspinner

cmoneyspinner New Member

When I was growing up my mother received government assistance (welfare), charity from family and friends, and she worked. My father worked but he got sick, so it was all on her. Even though money was tight, when I approached her about getting a part-time job to help out, she put her foot down. ABSOLUTELY NOT!! She did agree to allow me to work a summer job. But during the school year, working was out of the question. She said it was more important that I FOCUS on my education. She said that when I graduate, I'll become an adult, and I'll have plenty of time to work … if I live. (Wise and true words.)

When I had my own kids, I followed my mother's example. I didn't encourage any of them to work. I wanted them to focus on their education. However, one of my kids did find part-time employment and I didn't stop him from working. He was a very responsible child, he kept his grades up, and worked part-time. What was really great was that sometimes, he brought him free pizza! His brothers and sisters loved that! LOL. :emoji_grinning: