Particular movie that has big impact on you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jasmin Cottontail, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Trixen

Trixen New Member

I know this is a tragic movie and story, but Schindler's List has a great impact on me. Imagine your whole life being taken away and all you can do is survive because crying or fighting doesn't work. The life you once had wherein you felt discontent and wanting more is actually the best one you have. The movie also shows the cruelty of war and that it should never be a solution to anything.

Jason76 likes this.
  2. Zero

Zero Member

12 years a slave, i would recommend everyone to give this a movie a try, the plot and the historical events in regards to slavery that are displayed in this film will make a lot of impact on you.

Jason76 likes this.
  3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

There are so many, I could mention a huge list here (don't worry... I won't do that :D), but one of the movies that I can speak that leaves me speechless even today is "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial". Many people say it's a werid choice, but to me it has a very special meaning.

The reason? Because it's the movie that brings me the best memories of my childhood. :)

4. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

I have been watching a lot of the old movies lately and have found them quite entertaining-like a movie with Spencer Tracy in it called "The Mountain"- I watched not to long ago. This is a outdoor adventure movie and Tracy plays a veteran outdoor mountain guide,and comes out of retirement when a passenger plane crashes on a high mountain. The younger brother played by Robert Wagner is hoping to recover the valuables though, from the high mountain plane crash -so it makes for a interesting movie.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Jason76 likes this.
  5. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Harold and Maude is the first one that jumps to mind for me, in terms of having a good meaning and something that has stuck with me. I would also throw Big in there, and especially as a kids movie, sort of.

6. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Hi Jasmin, if you have seen Schindler's List, then I recommend you also watch the 'Life is Beautiful' by Roberto Benini. It is a very beautiful and touching movie. The way Roberto (yes, he also played the main role in this movie) resorts to his funny nature and the antiques he plays with his 5-year-old son to protect him from the cruelties of a concentration camp, making his son believe that they are just playing a game, in which the winner gets a real tank as the prize, is just too heart rending. The climax is awesome, and will leave you in tears and smiles at the same time. Other war movies that you might also like is The Longest Day, All Quiet on the Western Front etc.

Jasmin Cottontail likes this.
  7. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

The movie that had the most impact on me is 'The boy in the striped pyjama. This movie is hauntingly sad and not one you can forget in a hurry. It ended with a horrible twist that is so shocking and is bound to leave the viewer so helpless and wishing they can help.

8. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

Wow! Thanks a lot for the recommendations :) I've heard about the film Life is Beautiful, it's the Italian one right? There are a lot of good reviews about the movie and I will definitely put it on my watch list. Including the two movies you've mentioned. If you're into war movies as well, I would suggest the movie Brotherhood of War (Tae Guk Gi), Welcome to Dongmakgol and JSA (Joint Security Area). All of them are Korean movies and some of the best I believe :D

nangk08 likes this.
  9. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Yes Jasmin Cottontail, its the Italian movie, but made in English! I will certainly try to watch the movies you have mentioned, although they may be a bit hard to find for me as not many Korean movies are aired in India. I have never watched them, I bet they are great! :)

10. Jasmin Cottontail

Yes most of them are great! Now that you've mentioned you're from India, I remember some of the Bollywood movies that I've watched and my all-time favorite is 3 Idiots :D I bet you've already seen it because if not, you are missing a lot :) I really believe that Asian movies are the greatest!

nangk08 likes this.
  11. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Oh yes! I have seen 3 Idiots, I am glad you like it too! Are you from India btw??
    My son too is a big fan of 3 Idiots and we have to watch it during his holidays, so I must have watched it at least about 6 times until now! :D:D

12. Jasmin Cottontail

No I'm not from India but I love Bollywood films since I've watched 3 Idiots :) The first Bollywood movie that I've ever seen was Slumdog Millionaire which was another great film. Then 3 Idiots and it was a masterpiece :D From then on, I always check out Bollywood films since most of them are great ones. I don't really remember how many times I've watched 3 Idiots because I always watch it from time to time :)

nangk08 likes this.
  13. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I have seen a lot of good movies, but what immediately comes to mind is "Pursuit of Happyness". It's a heartbreaking story to watch as he goes through his struggles. It's really tough to raise a child and not have money, but you just can't give up. Your child is your reason to keep going! And so he did until he finally made it.

14. Rock1987

Rock1987 New Member

Two movies "Rocky" and " The pursuit of Happiness" has a big impact on me. Oscar winning movie Rocky is an all time classic. It shows how a common person can achieve great success if he works hard when given the opportunity.

The pursuit of Happiness also provides a similar kind of meaning. Hard work and perseverance will help me achieve anything I desire.

Elsa likes this.
  15. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Well I'm kind of "wholesome" and child-like so the Disney movie "UP" has a great impact on me. It had me on my tears actually, when the wife passed away.

Anyway, it is an animated movie for the kids, though it reflects lots of life lessons for sure. The main plot is about reaching your goals and aspirations whatever it takes. It also talks about love and contentment, as well as adventure.

I liked the moral lesson of the story which is based on the goals of the husband and wife. They share the same dream, and took a lifetime of effort to achieve it, though they failed. The husband felt so depressed when the wife passed away without achieving this goal that they have both promised and knowing that he failed his wife. However, he'll discover on his journey that the wife has been very much happy with the life they have lived together and that there is nothing to compare to what they have shared through the years.

Elsa likes this.
  16. johnny666

johnny666 New Member

Too many to mention but if I had to choose only one, I'd pick the one with sci-fi action content. Prometheus probably the movie that has a big impact to me. Imagine halfway to nowhere you found something fascinating but at the same time horrible. Curiosity satisfied.

17. Rock1987

Rock1987 New Member

Bollywood are great if you are a fan of dancing, romance, emotion and action. 3 Idiots is a super hit film starring Aamir Khan. It was widely received not only in India but the whole world. It broke many box office records in India. Most of Aamir Khan's movies are excellent. Movies of another Bollywood superstar Salman Khan are brilliant. His movies are full of emotion, romance and super duper action.

18. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

.Ii've been reading the comments here and the movie "Harold and Maude" keeps popping up. I'm definitely intrigued. I will look for that movie. I hope I still find a movie site that offers it.

19. Rock1987

Rock1987 New Member

12 years a slave is one of my favorite movies. The movie is quite emotional and dramatic. The acting by Chiwetel Ejiofor is simply brilliant. The emotions and hardships shown by the actor are amazing. The acting of Brad Pitt as a supporting actor is also amazing.

20. Kammy

Kammy New Member

I love the movie the "Life o Pi". It is a very inspirational movie with lots of interesting twists and turns. It talks about faith and sticking to what you believe in. It has the best effects. I totally recommend it

21. KloeRinz

KloeRinz Member

Garden of Words quite impacted me. It was a guy who wanted to be a shoemaker and would cut classes on rainy days. Then he meets a lady who's always drunk and eating chocolates. At some point, he finds out that older woman was a teacher in his school who was bullied. She's coping badly and is unable to go to work. This reminded me of my old life when I still could not overcome my depression back in high school since I would just walk around heading nowhere.

22. penslinger

penslinger New Member

"The Grave of the Fireflies," I remember this watching with my two sisters and all of us three cried in the end and it hurts a lot. We were a little bit young before. I am the eldest and a teenager that time and this story spiked thru our heart. Being the only guy in a broken family is quite challenging and the struggles and pain of life are clearly depicted in this movie. We don't talk too much while we were all watching this movie but we all know the reason why we cried at the end without discussing it. This movie made us feel like as if we were looking in a mirror. Life is tough and this animated story struck our young hearts that time.

23. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I think the movie that had the biggest impact on me was the Shawshank Redemption. I've watched it over and over and it still gets to me. It brings home to me the fact that people do get wrongly imprisoned and spend years in jail for a crime they didn't commit.

24. to7update

to7update Active Member

Lately I am pretty much into documentaries, just yesterday I was seeing a documentary about placed advertising on the movies, and it was impressive to see how manipulated we are.

On the other hand, tomorrow I'll be seeing Star Wars VIII, so that's pure entertainment! :)

25. tyche

tyche Active Member

I think the movie Shutter and The Exorcism Of Emily Rose are the movies that had a particular impact on me just because I got scared watching them, since the plot of those movies can possibly happen in real life.

26. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

Like you, I'm a big fan of movies and one particular movie that has a big impact on me was Forrest Gump, the award winning 90's film which stars Tom Hanks as a slow witted, sickly kid that through focus, determination and some luck became a successful businessman, accomplishing so much by sheer determination and action. Although it is fiction and not a biopic, the film and story was so inspiring that whenever I'm having some troubles in life and in my professional career, I would always watch this movie to inspire me.

27. cmoneyspinner

cmoneyspinner New Member

There were two movies that I think had a major impact in that they contributed to my personality development during my early years. National Velvet and The Wizard of Oz.

National Velvet was a wonderful movie about a young girl who had a dream. One would think that she had robbed of her dream. She wanted to race a horse that she loved because she knew that horse could win. She entered the race and the horse did win. She was disqualified when the judges discovered that she was a girl. They took the award and gave it to a male rider. But she didn't care. She knew her horse they would win the race. They won! That was all that mattered to her. That was her dream. The awards, the praise from others? Who cares? That wasn't part of the dream. Elizabeth Taylor played the part of the little girl and she really made an impression on me.

The Wizard of Oz, also a musical movie about a young girl, who ended up in the Land of Oz, but dreamed of returning home. All of the characters in the movie were memorable. But the most memorable memory was Judy Garland singing “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”. Many people have sung that song over the years. But nobody sang that song like Dorothy (Judy Garland). That song and those red shoes Dorothy wore were magical!

Both of these girls had the power to achieve their dreams. Dreams are life!

28. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Of the more family oriented ones, well maybe not now that I think about it, would be Harold and Maude. It is a love story so it counts for me, but regardless it is a classic that I can watch whenever I need a pick me up.

29. mynameisshieldler

mynameisshieldler New Member

A Thousand Words. That movie has a really good moral lesson. Because of that movie, most of us learned many things. And I would highly suggest that movie for everyone.

30. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

One movie that inspires me in a different way was Stephen Spielberg's low budget masterpiece, E.T., it was a masterpiece in its own right, the way it was made and the emotions it made movie goers go through made the film an unexpected hit. To me its a testament that it's not the budget that matters or the stars but how you tell the story and how the moviegoers emotionally perceives it.

And I used this this in my work countless of times, it could be applied in Sales and Marketing, Advertising and a lot more.

nangk08 likes this.