Expectant Mom Gifts

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by thisnthat, Dec 6, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Do you buy gifts for an expectant mom that are just for her, or do you just give baby stuff? While it's great to get lots of nice things for your new baby, I think it's still nice for Mom to have something for herself as well. I try to do a little of both at showers and stuff, as well as for holidays.

Do you have any ideas to share? What kinds of gifts do you buy for pregnant moms?

Elsa likes this.
  2. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

In my country, many Chinese would like to give Chicken essence, wine or some herbs for the mothers as they believe it's good for the mom's health after giving birth. Many would give red packets (with money inside) for the family to buy whatever they wish too.

thisnthat likes this.
  3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Over here, the celebration of baby shower is usually a surprise for the expectant mother. It is arranged and prepared by friends with the husband as an accomplice. For the gifts, the most common are baby items but the mother receives toiletries, clothing items, or personal accessories. And with the digital camera now, expect the posting of pictures in social media for all to see.

thisnthat likes this.
  4. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

That's interesting, @kaka135. I'm not sure what chicken essence is or does, but I like learning about other customs. The red packets with money inside sound like a good gift too. That way, they can choose what they want.

@Alexandoy, your customs sound very similar to ours here. It just seems like most of the gifts are for baby. I like to get something for mom too, at the shower, and at Christmas and stuff as well.

5. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

It is funny for me to think about how these have changed since I was in the habit of having to get them for friends. I see a lot more automated diaper related things now, which I guess is a good thing.

Elsa likes this.
  6. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

The first month after giving birth seems to be a really BIG thing for Chinese, but more attention or care actually gives to moms, we call it confinement period. If I am not mistaken, Chinese believes if the woman takes really good care of her health in that month, she will be able to heal her body, if there's any issue. Hence, there are always special recipes for the moms in the confinement period, and there are "rules" as well. Rules are like the mom is recommended to lay on the bed as much as she can, not to drink plain water but some herbal tea, not to touch tap water, but only boiled water, not to wash the hair, not to eat many kinds of food which are said not good for mom's health, etc.

I have heard that many Chinese don't really enjoy the confinement period because of these rules. Though I am Chinese, I didn't really follow these as I don't really believe or "care" and I preferred to enjoy those precious moments with my baby, as some recommend the mom shouldn't really take care of the newborn baby otherwise she'll be too tired.

I actually prefer to give red packet with money inside, especially after I have become a mom, as I usually already bought whatever I needed for my baby and myself before I gave birth, so those gifts might not really needed though they are really nice. :)

7. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I also often give baby items as gifts. Next time I will have something for the mommy, too. If she's just a few months pregnant, a maternity dress might be good or a nursing bra perhaps.

8. Elsa

Yes, I believe automated diaper changing items will soon become a necessity because they lessen the hassle of diaper changing especially for soiled or poop-filled diapers, haha.

9. remnant

remnant Member

As far as gifts are concerned, its a treacherous road to navigate in my opinion since you might offer something that won't suit the mother's tastes. To this end, cash gifts are the best option and anything the mother buys with the same wall attribute it to you.

10. Elsa

Yes, that is true. Cash gifts or gift cards do seem to be the safest and practical gift for expecting mothers because they will be able to buy what they really need or want. Or sometimes, we could discreetly ask what the mother has already bought and what else she needs to buy. This will give us a better idea of what to give :)

11. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I suppose it's nice to have a surprise but when I was pregnant with my second child my sister took me shopping and asked me what I liked so I could choose it for myself. I suppose it's a bit different when it's someone you don't know that well.

I always bought baby vests and all in one suits in white for expectant mums because as I quickly learned babies are messy little creatures and you can never have too many.

12. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Well I always did not mind getting gifts for this occasion as at least they are somewhat easy and you know what sorts of things to get, but still these days there are a lot of options for products so it might be difficult in another way than before. I did just see a news story on a diaper app that alerts you when they need changing.

13. tyche

tyche Active Member

I haven't tried doing it yet