Are the New Age Kids Getting Matured Too Soon?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by moondebi, May 21, 2017.

1. moondebi

moondebi Member

Be the onus is on technology, upbringing or environment, new age children are more mature than their earlier counterparts. For time pass, they're more dependent on virtual world than peer playing or physical games. This advanced thought building has positive as well as negative impacts. Many parents seem concerned about this.
    They think that the childhood of their children are getting stripped off too early. :(

Do you have a similar opinion?

2. tyche

tyche Active Member

I can't fully understand what you're trying to say, but new age usually deals with spirituality and the metaphysical, so that's like a separate branch of knowledge or topic as compared to maturity which is completely a case to case mental basis. Maybe you mean to say "modern" kids? Well my answer still remains the same, technology and being knowledgeable about it at a young age has nothing to do with maturity.

3. Taliska

Taliska Active Member

If you are talking about the effect of technology on modern kids, I don't think there's any harm in them learning to use it. However, they need to be supervised or have their use restricted because there are many things online that could be dangerous to them or make them grow up too early. It's a parent's job to manage that, just like it is our job to manage real world threats.

4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

A lot of them, yes... They are maturing very fast. I confess I've been surprised by many of them. Either by the way of speaking, or by thinking about certain subjects. They can really surprise us. :eek:

I've already talked to 11-12 year olds about politics... Can you imagine that? I'm an adult and I can barely talk about it with another adult (ok, I hate politics... and that helps a lot).

I think some years from now the children will be born talking and running. :p

5. derf

derf New Member

Really technology doesn't make a kid grow up fast or mature faster it is what they are seeing on the certain technology that is. I don't really think kids are going to grow up faster because of technology. What they are going to grow up fast is what the information being presented to them is.

6. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

If you think they're overly-immersed in these virtual worlds now, just wait until you see what their children will be like 15, 20 or especially 30 years from now.

Technology is developing and accelerating in development so rapidly that we can't even fathom how different life is going to be for people that have access to it.

Anyway, you're absolutely right. Children are exposed to much more of the world through the internet, can seek out and learn about topics on their own. It's a good thing that information is so readily available, although we've got to be careful because there are obviously some things children shouldn't be exposed to early.

For example (and this is just my personal opinion) kids really shouldn't feel the need to worry about all the political propaganda and fear-mongering that's shoved down our throats through media outlets - especially since children are often so ready to accept whatever they read as fact and not talk to anybody to validate or question it. Should kids really be worrying that terrorists are going to attack our country or that North Korea is going to nuke us? Probably not. But they may read this somewhere, not say anything about it to parents, and spend too much of their precious childhood worrying about it.

I remember when I was little my mother used to watch crime shows. I spent countless nights worried somebody was going to break in and hurt us while we slept. There's so much more on the internet than there ever was on TV, and it's not difficult to stumble upon it while browsing online, even for a child.

7. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

The internet has surely brought with it good and bad but as long as a child's usage is monitored I don't think there is anything to worry about.

My 10 year old granddaughter uses it for her homework, to play games with her friends and to read about things she is interested in. She knows about terrorist attacks as we live in the UK and have had several in Manchester and London recently. You can't protect them from everything, she hears it on the news and talks about it with her friends at school. If she asks questions I try to answer them without frightening her. It's the world we live in and she is bound to find out it's not a perfect one.

She also goes out to play with her friends in parks and is not glued to a computer screen. The key is moderation, let them play on the computer but make sure they get enough time away from it. Of course the teenage years will bring new problems and my main concern will be cyber bullying but I will deal with it when the time comes and hope that she never has to be a victim of this.

nangk08 likes this.
  8. Mika

Mika Active Member

I am really scared about the coming generations. Most of the 5-6 years old do not want to leave the gadgets and I have seen some of them getting violent if persuaded to stop their activity. I am really surprised to see how the present day parents are allowing their children to stay with gadgets in order to keep their own activities going on social media. I think they will soon have to mend their own ways in order to save the coming generations becoming total slave of so called technology.

9. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

This is definitely true because gadgets,google and social media sites like facebook are causing kids to mature much faster today,and of course a lot of this is caused by peer pressure. The kids today go unsupervised and I am talking about 12 and under and this really has parents quite worried -and it seems like their friends and celebrities influence the kids more than the parents do?

10. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Yes they are. But I wonder if it should go like that. I mean learning those new things is good, but because of that they are forgetting play grounds and all. So I will only suggest that parents should keep those technology away as later on they are going to use. But when they are kid they should spend more time with other important things than those phones and other things. That's what I think.

11. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

I do not see any children around. They are all grown up mentally thanks to what they get to learn on their own through social media and other technological devices. I am not happy about it. Those were the days when my nieces and nephews looked forward to my arrival fighting to sit next to me at the dining table whenever I visited them and that is history now with their kids.

12. Mika

Mika Active Member

I know children today know far more than what we knew in their age but at the same time I believe that however much they know they are still children in their mind and heart. I know a 6 years old child closely who watches superheroes and acts like them, talks like them and believes that baddies should not exist in this world but when someone says jokingly that he met a baddy then he doesn't want to believe that baddies really exist in this world. He always says that baddies are not real but fake.

13. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

I'm surprised my 8 year old cousin is a lot more aware of life than i was at 10 years old. I am always surprised by what she knows. You're right, though, it is technology. She always watches mature videos and such. She then implements what she sees in her life.

14. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Yes, today's kids are much more mature than we were at their age now. Of course it is all due to the lot of information that is available to them through TV, computers, phones etc. and also through schools. Nowadays, stress is given too much on information through various channels such as newspapers in schools and a separate subject for general knowledge and current affairs etc. Kids now are more aware than ever of topics such as violence - physical, sexual etc., terrorism and so many things undesirable. It is up to us as to how the kids interpret them and process them. So we should keep talking to the kids and see that there awareness is of a healthy kind and they do not take such knowledge in a negative manner.

15. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

I can't actually call them mature. Though technology makes them use stuff that are way advanced this doesn't make them mature. In fact, I tend to see kids nowadays as much more of whiners than mature. Back in the days when I was still a kid, me and a lot of my friends helped out our parents in a lot of ways like doing household chores or saving our school money so we learn how to save money at a young age. Kids these days do not do that, all they know is play video games or play with their phones, ask for money so they can buy non sense things, and most of all they complain a lot and talk back to their parents.

nangk08 likes this.
  16. kamai

kamai Active Member

Yes I do notice that a lot most kids here are left to play alone outside for hours so that can be one of the reasons. Also technology has a lot to do with it as I have seen very young children owning their own phones and of course many have internet where they can learn more mature stuff.

17. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Yes that is true. The kids these days are not mature that way, I mean emotionally. Most of the kids are too aggressive, constant whiners about little things and cannot accept a no to their demands. But at the same time, too much junk food, lack of exercises, exposure to a lot of chemicals in food, plastic items that are used daily for eating etc. has somehow tweaked the natural hormone cycles and the kids are attaining puberty too early. Girls as young as 8 and 9 are getting periods. Boys develop sexual maturity too soon etc. But the kind of maturity that is expected, the way you mentioned is indeed missing.

workingbuck likes this.
  18. Natasha0717

Natasha0717 New Member

I think you're right.
    Kids that are 7, 8, or 9 seem like teenagers to me. Not only the way they act, but also in appearance. They just seem taller and speak in a much more mature way than I did when I was that age. It's kind of strange. At 13 years old, I was still walking around with my favorite baby doll, and so was my friend! :D I had absolutely NO interest in guys or boyfriends, I was still playing with dolls and 100% immature. But nowadays, I don't know, at 13 years old, girls (and guys) are not only dating, some are even having children of their own, experimenting with drugs, just doing the things that most parents worry about when their kids are more in the late teens and even early 20's.

nangk08 likes this.
  19. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

That is so true Natasha! I had a comforter that my mother had made out of her old saree, it was so soft and so cozy, that I even carried it with me when I went over to my friend's home! when I think about the days when I was a child, I realise we were so much more innocent than kids of that age now are. Physical development of the kids now can be attributed to more nutritious foods as well as junk foods. The kind of stress that is now given on food and nutrition was hardly of a much important matter back then. We ate when we were hungry. Period. We ate what was served on the plate. No arguments. Compare that with fussy eating now, so many calories, portions from all food groups etc. Plus the exposure to too much information! :rolleyes:

20. AmieBotella

AmieBotella Member

For me, I still think it still depends on how a kid was raised. When I compare myself when I was nine to my son now, I can say that I've been more mature than he is now. I mean when I was at his age, I go home from school by myself. Riding a public utility vehicle twice to reach my home every day. have to cross 2 roads too. But with my son, I still accompany him to and fro in school. Why? Because it's not that safe anymore. With cases of kidnapping happening, you get paranoid. Now with regards to exposure to technology and what they watch these days, I still feel the maturity of a child will be taught on his experiences and not on what he can watch. Physically though, there is a huge difference with physical development during my time and the kids these days. I don't know why but it must be because of the food these days too.

21. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Many of the kids are tech-savvy. However, though, they're also growing up, at least in the US, in a bad economy, one near the very bottom. In that case, the technology seems to be a really good escape, one the Great Depression generation didn't have.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  22. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Honestly it was such a joy having those old school of thought kids around us.
    They were great to be with but today's kids are cat's whiskers and I do not enjoy their company

23. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Kids in the 2000s weren't so bad. The net was in existence, but the technology wasn't so much. I think cellphone and tablet usage has gotten over-the-top.

24. remnant

remnant Member

I followed an article on the BBC and heard that this could be as a result of improved nutrition but also a pointer to evolving trends where kids are being exposed in more complex lifestyle settings than before. There is also this research pointing to the fact that IQ increases by a certain factor in every generation. But this doesn't tell the whole story, there are a lot of imbalanced souls out there who don't know what to do with life.

25. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

I think so too, kids nowadays are getting to advance for their age, it's the side effect of modern technology specifically the internet. internet ready devices like smartphones, phablets, tablets and wearables like internet watches and the like are helping kids to mature faster by giving them too much knowledge and information too soon. Some people are saying that it's a sign of development and progress but for me, I want my kids to enjoy their childhood in a normal, old fashioned way, I don't want them to mature sooner than they have to be.

nangk08 likes this.
  26. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

I agree with you Kakashi. I think every stage should happen in its own natural way and not before time. Even though kids are getting more mature now, they are still unable to handle crisis situation or face difficulties and hence, depression among young kids also is on the rise. A bane of the modern times.

Kakashi2020 likes this.
  27. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

I think we are at a time of transition from the old generation to the new one and we really don't know what will happen, if this kind of modernization is good or has bad side effects on our kids. More and more kids nowadays are sacrificing offline friends and play time outdoors for online games and online friends, I think this could have negative social effects for kids in the future.

nangk08 likes this.
  28. mynameisshieldler

mynameisshieldler New Member

I don't think so. What I only know and believe is that, you will be just once so embrace it. You have to enjoy it and treasure it.

29. mildredtabitha

mildredtabitha Member

Its true children of this new generation are growing up so fast.I see nowadays children as young as a 8 year old having phones and they know how to use them.its good for your child to have some skills in technology but what's bad is that there are adult contents which is not good for them.

30. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Yes the kids are maturing too fast! Good nutrition, exposure to chemicals in various forms, too much information exposure, mobiles, computers etc. is causing the kids to mature very early. And it is not just emotional maturity but physical too.