Prolonged labor and forcing the baby to come out

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Heatman, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Good day to all you my lovelies here, you are all aware that not long ago my kid sister put to bed using cesarean but something happened before she had to give birth making use of such means.

She had a prolonged labor for over 24 hours, which even led to the doctor trying to force the baby to come out by giving her castor oil and still no way until it was decided that it's cesarean.

Have anyone experienced such before, especially about drinking castor oil or other things to help force the baby to come out?

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

My brother's first born suffered a sort of injury to the head caused by that situation. The doctor was forcing the baby to come out using forceps. The attempt was successful after several tries so my sister-in-law was spared of a caesarian section. But my nephew had an elongated head that the doctor said was a temporary condition due to the use of forceps. But the long head lasted for years.

Heatman likes this.
  3. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Jeez that's very bad, the things women experience during child birth are horrible. My own mother narrated her ordeal with my junior brother, he was tied my the cord, if she pushes, the cord would draw him back in, until one experienced doctor came and noticed what was going on. He had to go inside with one arm and a cutter and cut the cord. That was the only way my brother was able to come out, but he had blood flow down to his head because of the struggle. Although the blood later cleared.

4. Mika

Mika Active Member

There are very few cesarean in my family or friend circle. Actually, it's very rare where I live currently as the doctors prefer it natural unless they think that a normal delivery is not possible. I have seen women going and coming to the labor room every 2-3 hours but doctors not convinced as they insist on natural delivery. However, if they think it could be risky for mother or the child they allow it. Back in my home country cesarean is common as neither the doctors or the patients have enough patience for a natural delivery.

Heatman likes this.
  5. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

There are many suggestions out there which are supposed to bring on labour and castor oil is a very old one. To be honest I don't know if it works or not. I googled it and this is what I found:

"Castor oil is not recommended for bringing on labour as it can cause nausea and diarrhea. Having a tummy upset is the last thing you need during labour. ... The theory behind it is that it may act as a powerful laxative, which when it stimulates your gut also stimulates your womb (uterus) to start labour."

I'm glad I didn't have this! I didn't have prolonged labours with either of mine as my first was an elected c-section and the second induced with a suppository due to high blood pressure. I can imagine it is really exhausting to have the pain for so long and I would probably have tried anything had I been in that position.

6. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I gave birth to five kids but never heard of castor oil as something that could help in an easy delivery. I Googled it and found that it is likely castor oil (1 to 2 tablespoons) can induce labor. Here's more information through this link: https://www.healthline.com/health/pregnancy/castor-oil-labor#4

Mika and Heatman like this.
  7. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Thanks for taking out time to get be informative article about this. I was really surprised when the doctor called for the oil to be taken by her but still nothing happened, and she still had to make delivery using cesarean.

Elsa likes this.
  8. Mika

Mika Active Member

Yes castor oil is one of the methods mostly used by village mid-wives during delayed delivery. Some of these even overdose oxytocin injection which is a human hormone but used during labor for the sole purpose of inducing labor. This injection is fine if used in a limit but the quacks do it bring the result faster.

9. Elsa

You're welcome. It's sad that she was not able to deliver the baby through normal birthing, but the important thing is, they're both safe and healthy. I do think castor oil will not work for everyone.

Heatman likes this.
  10. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Yeah, you are very correct. It was a sad thing, she even refused to entertain going through cesarean but she had no choice because she was told her baby is getting weaker as hours passed and it's not good for both their health before she now had to agree. We were all glad both of them were later safe and sound.

Elsa likes this.
  11. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

@Mika This is actually the first time in the history of our family generation for any of our mothers to deliver using cesarean. It really gave my father a huge concern when he heard her daughter was going through a cesarean to deliver her baby.

The only time any member of our family has been under a knife was my mother around 2008 when she had fibroid surgery.

12. to7update

to7update Active Member

I never heard about a doctor suggesting castor oil! Thing is, the baby needs to come out, and if it doesn't come the natural way a cesarean is necessary, as it's a matter of life and death. My 1st kid was over 12 hours to be born, and it wasn't an easy process...

Mika likes this.
  13. Mika

Mika Active Member

@to7update That's right, doctors don't suggest use of castor oil but quacks do (doctors suggest castor oil in case of constipation though). I still believe that if the cesarean could be avoided the better since once a woman delivers a child by this method the chances are that she will deliver her next with same way which is serious risk for her. In some countries doctors suggest that natural is the best way where as in some countries doctors have no time to wait and in some cases even the women are not prepared to tolerate the pain.

14. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Hmm, I would really categorize the doctor as quack because from all indications and all the research I have read through including the link sent here to me by @Elsa, it's obvious that castor oil is used to induce labor and it actually works in some cases but not all. So everything depends on the body make and the baby's will in the stomach.

15. to7update

to7update Active Member

In the stomach? In the uterus you mean right @Heatman? Yeah, pretty sure it was not a regular doctor @Mika. We need to be fortunate enough to come across good healthcare, and sometimes we simply cannot achieve it, endangering ourselves and those we love.

16. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Thanks so much for this input @littlewitch66, it matters a lot that you have time to get such research about the use of castor oil. As a man, all these things are still alien to me but with my involvement on this forum, I have come to amass a great deal women, babies and toddlers.

Elsa and littlewitch66 like this.
  17. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

I think those doctors have pretty good idea of what they are doing, because if not I doubt if there would be anywhere written that castor oil is used in anyway concerning pregnant women. I think you should read up more about castor oil and pregnancy labor.

18. to7update

to7update Active Member

I am not saying you're not right @Heatman, all I said was that I never heard of it. I am pretty sure medicine and the way doctors deliver babies changes a lot in different regions of the world, and according to the available resources and facilities.

19. Elsa

I do think most OB-Gyns prefer to have babies delivered the normal way so if they think the mother can do it without posing risks to the baby and herself, they encourage normal delivery, otherwise a C-section is recommended. Others who can't seem to bear the pain of childbirth go for a C-section over normal delivery despite doctors' advice.

Mika likes this.