Breast feed !!

Discussion in 'Babies' started by trebor2017, Sep 10, 2017.

1. trebor2017

trebor2017 New Member

What are the benefits of doing breast feeding to feed the baby. And what age of the baby should we stop giving him breast feeding. Hope you can give me your opinions it would help me and my family. Thank you in advance.

Risa likes this.
  2. HazelDJ

HazelDJ New Member

Mother's milk is the best for the baby. It contains natural vitamins and minerals. It boost the immune system. It keeps the baby healthy and away from sicknesses. It promotes bonding between the mother and the baby.

3. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Breastfeeding is very essential for a baby's development especially at such a young age when the practically depend only on breast milk for their sustainance and survival.

I think a year and 6 months is a good timing for one to breastfeed her child as it would definitely help in ensuring that such child doesn't lack any nutrients required for its growth and well being.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

The first benefit in breast-feeding a baby is the bonding that the mother creates with her baby. I believe that a breast-fed baby has more confidence in life when he grows. Another benefit is the nutrition since mother's milk is the best and no formula milk can duplicate its nutrients. And to think that formula milk for babies are expensive nowadays, think of the money that you can save for 1 year of breast-feeding. But the downside is the time that the mother can give to the baby.

kaka135 and Risa like this.
  5. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Breastfeeding has a lot of benefits for both the mom and the baby. For the post-partum mom, it helps her go back to her ideal weight, minimize the abnormal bleeding tendencies, and helps her bond with her baby like no other.

For the baby, breast milk is the best source of nutrition. It is full of vitamins and minerals, helps the baby grow at optimum speed and boosts his brain development too.

Breastfeeding is very cost effective, you get it for free and the milk doesn't expire on a certain time. You will not be needing to clean and sterilize a lot of bottles too! A great relief for moms!

It is recommended for babies up to 2 years of age. Exclusive breastfeeding up to 6 months of age and you can add up supplementary feeding when the baby reaches 6 months, onwards. Hope this information helps.

xobe likes this.
  6. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Breast feeding your baby is the best gift a mother can give to her baby. By breast feeding the baby, you are protecting your baby for his whole life as mother's milk is the best nutrition for the baby and it also helps the baby to become immune against a number of diseases. It is actually believed that continuing to breast feed your baby until he is 1.5 to 2 years is actually a very good idea, mother's milk in addition to other foods and drinks, fruits, veggies etc. will help baby grow stronger and healthier. However, now that most mothers are working, it is not possible to breast feed the baby until so late but it should be continued at least until the baby is minimum 6 months old.

7. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

It is nature's way the moment a mother delivers she has milk to feed her baby. We see that in the animal world. We can learn from animals. They breast feed their little ones until they are ready for outside food. A mother can start feeding outside food when she no longer produces her own milk.

nangk08 likes this.
  8. xobe

xobe New Member

9. xobe

xobe New Member

Well said sis! breastfeeding is still the best for babies and it helps the growth of our little ones rapidly. The process of taking care of a baby is very challenging because they are very sensitive and typically a mom would easily get panic when her baby cries. Don't know what to do, and for some, they proactively feed their babies through breasts. Mother should be responsible on her health before and after pregnancy because the baby will still look for them. Let's support breastfeeding rather than instant milk for babies.

10. madara1114

madara1114 New Member

Breastfeeding is one important things in ones child to nourish its physical and mental abilities, but most of our generation preferred instant milk to avoid saggy and also time.

11. Miches

Miches Active Member

In spite the many advances in formula milk, breast milk is still best for babies up to two years of age. A breastfed baby has stronger protection against bacteria and viruses and is less susceptible to allergies, asthma, diarrhea, respiratory diseases, and infections. It is also easier to digest. In addition, there are less occurrences of SIDS in babies who are breastfed. For all its benefits to a baby, breastfeeding is also cost-effective and beneficial to the mother as it can help regulate her weight and reduce risks for breast cancer and ovarian cancer.

12. elyy

elyy New Member

Breastfeeding is the absolute best thing you could do for your baby. Not only does it empower mothers but it also protects against so many diseases and health problems not only in their childhood but also in their adult lives. It reduces the chances of childhood leukemia, obesity, diabetes, and could even prevent heart disease in their adult life. Not to mention that breastfeeding also benefits the mother with a better and faster postpartum healing process and helps with postpartum weight loss and those are only two among so many other physical and emotional benefits. I personally have breastfed for about a year now and I am so glad I made the decision to breast feed. I have such a strong bond with my baby boy and he is so healthy and chunky, I love it.

James McAllister likes this.
  13. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

14. tyche

tyche Active Member

15. Julhian

Julhian New Member

I am a first-time mom and my little one is currently 8 months old. I am proud to say that I am a breastfeeding mom. At first, some of my relatives were against it because I could easily just give my daughter formula milk. But after studying the benefits of breastfeeding our babies, I have decided that I would breastfeed my baby.

I thought things would run smoothly at first, but it was not. It took me three days before my milk finally came out and that was the time I was able to breastfeed her exclusively.

Breast milk is called "liquid gold" for it has all the nutrients our babies will need. It contains antibodies to help our babies fight off bacteria and viruses. It also lowers the risk of our babies having illnesses such as asthma or allergies. One thing I could personally share about my breastfeeding journey is, my baby had a high fever recently but it only lasted a day and she was all well the next day. Breastfed babies can still get sick but because they have stronger immune system.

16. Rmarsh1984

Rmarsh1984 New Member

Breastfeeding is very important, though not necessary. I personally chose it for both of my children, however with my first, being uninformed as well as not having much in the way of family support or advice, I only was able to nurse for around 4 months. My second, I nursed him until he was 2.5 years old. He never took a bottle, even if it was my own freshly pumped milk!
    I had originally wanted to let him wean himself when he was ready, but we got into a cycle where he was waking in the night far too often to nurse (when at that point it was mostly a comfort thing than nutritional), and it was negatively affecting both his sleep and mine. I felt a little bad at first, but after two weeks he was sleeping again! And so was I! It was glorious.
    In a few weeks I'll have baby #3 and I plan to nurse her as well. I don't know how long, but I don't think I will try and wait out the self weaning again. I don't want to end up stuck in that cycle again, however, all babies are different.

Regardless, breastmilk contains everything your baby will need nutritionally until they start solids. Then it helps supplement their new limited diet of solids. It provides immunity, and comfort on top of being baby's first food. Best of all, it is FREE!
    That said, it doesn't always come naturally or easily to women or babies. It is something you have to work at. Sometimes, despite all the trying in the world, you may end up turning to formula in the end. THAT IS PERFECTLY FINE. It doesn't mean you failed. As long as baby is fed and happy, you will be doing a great job whichever method you choose.

kaka135 likes this.
  17. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I breastfed both my children, one for 10 months and the other for 8 months. The benefits are enormous but the time a mum wants to stop is a very personal thing. I have a friend who fed her daughter until she was almost 3 and there's nothing wrong with that although I personally wouldn't want to feed that long. The odd thing is she's always off school ill now that she is older!

My son was hard to wean as he was very attached to me and hated the rubber teat of a bottle but my daughter weaned herself and lost interest when she reached 8 months. I'm glad to say that both my children have always been very healthy but so was my nephew and he was bottle fed from the start. People shouldn't feel bad if they can't or don't want to breastfeed because formula these days is very nourishing.

18. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I guess you have already read many benefits from all the replies here. I just wanted to add that, it can be easier for the moms to breastfeed instead of making the milk from the milk powder. I weaned off my first child when he was around 2.5 years old, as he still wanted to drink milk, so we decided to buy him formula milk. I had to get up in the middle of the night, or early morning to make him the milk. When I was direct breastfeeding, I just turned to him, nursed him and I could still continue to sleep. I needed to prepare the milk bottles, wash them, sanitize them, and also prepare the hot water. While breastfeeding, I didn't need to prepare all these, and I just needed to get myself ready. When we went traveling, it was so much easier too. I just needed to be there, and I didn't need to bring anything else. To me, it's actually less tiring to breastfeed. For my second and third child, we didn't let them use milk bottles at all, and even when my second child was weaned off, she started to use mug to drink milk from the milk powder, so it's so much easier for us and saving more money too.

According to WHO, it's good to breastfeed the kids up to 2 year old or beyond. I stopped breastfeeding my first two children when they were around 2.5 years old as I was planning to get the next kid. Now that I am still breastfeeding my youngest, and I am not sure when I will wean him off. Perhaps I'll just let him naturally wean off.

@Rmarsh1984 I had the same experience with you for my second child too. She woke up too frequently even though she was already 2.5 years old, and I also think it's affecting her sleep and mine too. I suppose you are busy taking care of the #3 now. Congratulations to you! ;)

19. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

WHO (World Health Organisation) has advised that babies be fed breast milk exclusively for the first six months of life, then baby foods like puree, mashed potatoes can be introduced but breast-milk should still be given up till a year and half old. Breast-milk contains special ingredients that is essential to help babies build up a strong immune system.

20. Maizzah

Maizzah New Member

I have a baby and he is turning 1 year old on march 9. For the first 6 months, i gave him exclusive breastfeeding which means no other liquids given, just the milk from me. After 6 months, I gave him water already since he is already eating. I still breastfeed up until now. Breastfeeding is very important for babies because it gives them a lot of nutrients. You wont worry if their milk is still safe to drink. Their immune system is very good. Its true because my baby doesnt experience any type of sickness since birth. There are lots of benefits from breastfeeding not just for the baby but for the mother also. If your going to ask me when to stop breastfeeding, maybe if your baby is already 2 years old and above. But for me I'll keep on breastfeeding because its good for both of us.

21. Rmarsh1984

Rmarsh1984 New Member

Thanks. Yes, she was born January 17th. She is a very good eater lol. Never had any issues with her at the start of nursing her. She was born over 10 pounds and has only gotten bigger! It certainly is easier to breastfeed, no bottle prep to worry about, and the diaper bag is much lighter without having to bring all the extras to feed her on the go.

I'm glad I weaned my son when I did though. We were finished for only a month before I discovered my youngest was on the way. Both my son's sleep and mine greatly improved after we were done, which couldn't have been timed more perfectly as pregnancy is exhausting! Haha. I'm not sure how long I'll nurse this little one for either. I am going to start pumping milk for her so we can try bottles for her so she can be left with someone else should the need arise. That was something my son never allowed me to do, he HATED bottles, even with my own milk in them.

kaka135 likes this.
  22. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

Congratulations to you! It's always nice to know a baby is born and happily being breastfed too. I guess your son didn't like bottle because there's no smell and feel of mom there. ;)

Though there are many benefits for breastfeeding, there can be many challenges for breastfeeding moms too. I have heard from my friends, some of their babies refuse being bottle fed, and some refuse direct breastfed, and hence the moms have to pump out the milk and bottle feed the babies. Hope your youngest are okay with both, so it'll be easier for you too.

23. BelindaMT

BelindaMT New Member

My two kids are breastfeeding. It is not only the baby who benefits breastfeeding but also the mother as well. Breast milk contains antibodies which is really good for babies and a low chance of having allergies and asthma for babies. In my experience as a mother, I noticed when I am breastfeeding my baby, I lose weight rapidly. It was hassle free at the same time because you don't need to wash feeding bottle and sterilized bottle and most of all you can save money. Formula milk is expensive nowadays. Breastfeeding for 2 years is the best and recommended by the pediatrician.

24. JiLLian

JiLLian New Member

My baby is now 6 months and she's exclusively breastfed. I didn't give her vitamins because I know that my breastmilk has complete vitamins and minerals. It contains antibodies that help our baby fight off viruses and bacteria.