Old School Discipline

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Kakashi2020, Mar 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

I believe that kids nowadays, specially pre-teens should be trained to obey rules and to observe proper conduct relative to their age by the use of punishment in order to rectify disobedience.

In my opinion there's nothing wrong about using Old School Disciplinary methods that is if corrective disciplinary actions land on deaf ears. I would like to know your take on this.

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I also go for the traditional discipline where the child is forced to tow the line otherwise... Unfortunately, there is now a law here that prohibits the parents from applying corporal punishment like spanking the buttocks or wringing the ears. The child can complain to the authorities that can bring the erring parent to jail. I am wondering how the children now will grow with a mentality that they are superior than their parents.

3. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

When you say old school discipline, does that mean spanking or any other form of physical abuse? That is a wrong and terrible way of bringing up a child. It has been found that children who are physically abused never get over the abuse. They remain internally scared or traumatised.

4. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

What I'm talking about is resorting to giving out punishments as a way to discipline kids aged 7 above and not punishing a 'child', to me a child is a baby or a toddler. A parent can always take away certain privileges from their children like their smartphone or limit it's use at home.
    Spanking to me, when correctly implemented is a good discipline tool because I've experienced it when I was a kid. Let's face it there are kids that are naughty and the only way to discipline them is by punishing them physically, well it worked for a few thousand years didn't it. But it was made illegal because there where instances of abuse and severe beatings, mostly done by psychologically distressed parents or those who are prone to substance abuse.

5. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

I wonder if there is any other way as most children would need discipline. 'Spare the rod and spoil the child' says it all. Sadly however there would children who will rebel against this treatment forcing patents to just give up. :(

6. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I can only give my own experience here. I was smacked when I was a child and although I was rebellious at times I have not turned out to be a violent person. The same with my sister.

Smacking is not encouraged these days although I used to slap my son's legs at times as he was the kind of child who wouldn't stop unless I did. My daughter only needed a raised voice to stop her doing something she shouldn't. I don't smack my granddaughter at all as I am aware that she is not my child and social services were very clear when I took her on that this was not tolerated.

I will say there is a difference between a smack and a beating. Of course it's wrong to hurt a child but a light smack to shock a child into stopping what he is doing is not too bad .. in my opinion.

Kakashi2020 likes this.