How do you keep your kids occupied when schools have long holidays?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by iamawriter, May 8, 2018.

1. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

2. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Fortunately as I no longer work outside home, I do not have this problem, especially since my son has become the most enthusiast reader. He goes out and plays with other kids each morning and evening for hours and remaining time is divided between reading various books and different art and craft projects of his own. He always finds something or other to do to spend his time, sometimes I let him watch cartoons or a good movie when others are not available to play.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I don't think the occupation of children during a long holiday is not a problem nowadays because of technology. But if you don't want the kids to indulge in computer games and the internet, you can prepare a schedule of activities like the chores inside and outside the house. I remember gardening which my father would make us do when there was a holiday and that we were not going anywhere. We would clean the yard and plant vegetables. My mother would teach us basic cooking and the dreaded house cleaning.

4. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

I think parents must try to ensure their kids get outside as much as possible. Keeping children indoors with only games and TV is not a great idea. Riding bicycles, trips to a local park or simple activities like skipping ropes can keep a child occupied in a more productive way. If the home has enough space for swings or even a pool, all the better. Children need to run, jump and skip.

5. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

The UK has 6 weeks in the summer and as my granddaughter is now 11 she can now go and play with her friends unsupervised. This is the age when although they can go a short distance alone they need to report back home so that their parents know where they are and that they are safe. I miss the days when she was little and I had her safely at home with me even though I do not have to spend so much time amusing her,

6. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

How about sending your kids to summer camps that they had, when I was a kid- or the church camps. It seems like a great experience for your kids to get outdoors and have some fun-besides sitting inside all summer playing video games. I think a lot of these camps are free but I am not sure if you are allowed to use the internet, or bring your own device to use at summer camps today? I would say camp does teach you to become more confident and the counselors are there to give encouragement and nurture kids. They probably want you to unplug from technology for awhile, and discover your creative skills and engage more in the real world.