When the Kid's a Psycho

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Jason76, May 7, 2018.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Basically, this is an immature personality type that generally gets off on feeling superior to others. Also, this type is into projection big time. For instance, if the child is fat, then he/she will call others fat.

Anyway, I feel, at least with boys, that this personality is the result of having a bad relationship with the father - or none at all.

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I'm not well-versed with child psychology but my take on kids with psycho tendency is a result of the relationship with his parents. Especially when there is an involvement of abuse on the child, the feeling of revenge will be there. It's just like an egg waiting to be hatched. And when the opportunity comes, the kid would pounce on another kid of a lesser strength.

3. Mika

Mika Active Member

I agree with OP and you will be surprised to note that almost 40% children suffer from this problem and if not handled carefully the situation gets worsen with every passing year. The best way is to consult a psychiatrist who will diagnose the child and prescribe the corrective methods. By the way, the corrective methods are not only for the children but parents too will have to change some of their ways to help their child back to normalcy.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  4. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

In one situation I know, the father is fake, and probably ignores the kid. However, then again, it might not be the case. In fact, the dad seems to be the type who involves himself with his boys, yet still they don't connect.

Anyway, I am speaking about teen boys and also, oddly enough, the dad is middle class.

Mika likes this.
  5. Mika

Mika Active Member

Yes in most cases the children behave abnormal if their parents do not treat them properly or punish them for small things. Almost all such children retaliate hard or revolt and react double as harsh. Since they can't hit their parents back ( or in some cases they even do that or at least try to that) so what they do is show their anger to the rest of the world, especially to their classmates or neighbors' children.

6. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Children psychology development is always influenced by the nature of relationship between the child and the parents. If a healthy relationship is breed within the family bonded with love for the child, there is every possibility of that child's psychological tendencies being in positive frame. But once the family is filled with abuse, such child would likely turn into a psycho.

7. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Some cases it comes from being a "fish out of water". Like there is this one racist guy on a forum. He lives in NYC and grew up among African-Americans, but he never would embrace their culture - but instead went the other way. In fact, he said he was like Eminem, but he wouldn't embrace his surroundings.

Anyhow, what can you say about someone like that? I mean, it seems like natural selection. The person should just get out! But then again, I know the feeling also from where I live, but it's a different thing going on. In fact, where I live I am not as embittered toward the majority as he is, but it seems like angry guys are the prowl - simply looking for anyone with a different opinion.

So in their opinion, anyone who thinks different from the majority "sucks" and is a "wimp". How can there be a democracy in such a place?

8. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

It's always encouraged to have a good relationship with one's children because it's one thing that keeps these kids to be in a healthy mind. This is because a lot of things can easily break up a child outside the family but when the child comes home and is welcomed with love and affection, that child will heal up almost immediately.

Jason76 likes this.
  9. Mika

Mika Active Member

But it's not the same in all cases. There are many parents in every society that did not take care of their children in a way required of them. They thought their duty ended once they gave birth to them and provided them basic facilities. They did not even know that children need more than food and clothes or school fee. The children need love and affection more than any thing beside a proper guideline.

10. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

A lot of parents think they are doing a good job, and in fact, are smart people! However, they're often arrogant in their thinking. Case in point, the example I gave of the middle class parent. He's the type who can't understand human nature very well - despite a high IQ. I remember once he told a kid pressured by peer pressure to stop doing what kids sayi cause that made him "stupid". But of course, the kid knows that! The kid doesn't care; he wants the laughs and approval!

So anyway, this same person cannot connect to his own kid - possibly repeating "time tried methods" of condescending lectures. But that doesn't go thru with a lot of kids and especially if the parent is pushing silly rules they find important but don't mean so much to kids (For instance, this parent banned soda drinks.).

But anyway, though, the bad environment still doesn't justify the kid being a brat and jerk. At that point, a long with changing the parenting, some bold attempt should be made to shame the behavior, but the parent is often - also a brat, in a sense.

I think the abuse isn't necessarily what we'd term "abuse" but is more along the lines of unnecessary rules (banning soda drinks) and the father either ignoring the kid/and or completely failing in some other way.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Mika likes this.
  11. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

It's true that some cases doesn't apply to everyone exactly the same way. There is bound to be an exception but in anything other than that, it's just natural for a kid filled and showered with more than just food and shelter but with love, care and affection to turn out good when growing up.

12. Mika

Mika Active Member

So anyway, this same person cannot connect to his own kid - possibly repeating "time tried methods" of condescending lectures. But that doesn't go thru with a lot of kids and especially if the parent is pushing silly rules they find important but don't mean so much to kids (For instance, this parent banned soda drinks.).

Unfortunately, I know a person and I said a person because this one is father of a kid whom I know quite well The man in question is a master engineer and works in a top position with very high earning but he doesn't know the basics of children's psychology (or should I say human psychology to be more precise?) He has his own rules regarding everything that his son should do or not do. The result the kid has become kind of rebellion ready to fight out with each and everyone. I think this man must have gone through the same situation in his childhood or is a sadist.

13. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

You could very well be right! In fact, I don't think a high IQ necessarily equates to high morality. Do you any of you?

Mika likes this.
  14. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

I completely agree with you on this. High IQ test does not mean having high or good morals. In fact, it can add to one having the intelligence of being more cunning and mischievous.

Jason76 likes this.
  15. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Certainly this is a massive deception in our day in time. So people would automatically equate success with moral behavior - and the successful could easily think they have good morals - when they don't! But then again, we have gauge what is good morality. However, though, real people from the outside (of the rich group) can normally spot phonies.

In other words, what's considered better is limited to certain in-groups where they've pretty much brainwashed themselves.

Heatman likes this.
  16. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

I think that this just about sums up how the society functions today and it's such a shame that there is nothing to do about it other than try and work on our individual families to the best of our knowledge and ability, in hope that others do the same which makes it a collective effort to getting the society behave well.

17. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Too much authoritarianism is a problem. Much as neglect is harmful, so is the opposite. In fact, it's a type of helicopter parenting I think. The kid is simply bossed around too much and also exposed to too much "negative reinforcement".

Case in point, I have seen this with the elderly - and kids are much the same.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019