Babies are fragile - Be careful how you carry them

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Heatman, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

They are called means that they are still very tender and fragile, so they should not be treated like adults. Some people have it in them to carry babies anyhow, pick them up from the bed, walker carelessly because they feel these babies aren't heavy or something like that. But one must take care because their bones and joints aren't that strong, they can easily have a strain or dislocation from pulling them up sharply. Treat babies gently because they are simply fragile 100%.

2. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

The most fragile part of a newborn baby is the fontanelle or soft spot (on top of its head). When it is first born it is open and the bones have yet to close which takes around 2-3 months. I was always worried about this when my babies were born and was careful to protect this part of them.

Risa and Heatman like this.
  3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

From what I remember, I carried my daughter when she was several months old. I was afraid of carrying an infant because of the fragile look that I might harm her. Especially a newborn baby, I would be nervous if I will be made to carry the baby from the hospital to our home. And since I only had 1 child so I don't know if I would have learned how to carry a baby. Maybe if I had 4 or 5 kids then I may have gotten used to having a baby in the home.

4. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

That's absolutely true, sometimes if you touch the spot it would be so soft it would deep inside a little bit. And at times when they breathe, that part of the head moves or beat as well. God does wonders with baby's creation.

Risa and littlewitch66 like this.
  5. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

Besides that, I was always told the neck is very fragile too as the bone of the neck is still not strong to support the baby, hence I always hold the back of the neck carefully when carrying a newborn baby.

I remember before my first child was born, I had never carry a newborn baby before as I didn't know how to do so. But once my first child was born, it's just like mother's instinct and I wasn't afraid of carrying him at all.

littlewitch66 likes this.
  6. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

I'm not surprised hearing that you are not comfortable carrying a baby because of how fragile and tender they are. My in law does not go anywhere near his baby because he is scared to death of hurting the child. He told that there was a day the baby almost fell off his hands and it was the last day he was ever going to try carrying the baby again for her own safety.

7. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Yes, it's true what you said about baby's neck being fragile too. It's not strong enough to withstand pressure and if you noticed, baby's tends to shake a lot when you carry them without giving the head some kind of support.

8. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I just want to add with what @littlewitch66 said about fontanelles. Yes they are very fragile and the anterior fontanelle, the one which is felt on top of the baby's head, remains soft and do not completely close until 18 to 24 months of age. There is also a fontanelle at the back of the baby's head which you should also take extra care, the posterior fontanelle, but this one closes earlier at around 6 months of age.

For newborns, handling should always be cautious. There must be enough support at the back of the head, neck and shoulders and even when they are older, be careful not to shake baby's head back and forth to prevent a life threatening situation called Shaken Baby Syndrome.

9. Rossy303

Rossy303 New Member

This is true. additionally, the sleeping position also matters a lot when carrying a baby. It is important for parents to decide how to carry their baby depending on their age. For instance, newborns spend most of their time sleeping. Letting them lay on their back while carrying them is considered as the most safe sleeping and carrying position.

10. tyche

tyche Active Member

I agree, babies are very fragile, they shouldn't be manhandled in any way possible, they should be carried very gently, like they are as fragile as glass.

11. Hova

Hova Active Member

I think it goes without saying that babies are as delicate as..., well, you get what I'm trying to say. Handle little babies with the utmost care because it is paramount that they grow up without any harm coming to them.

12. Emma kwamboka

Emma kwamboka Member

This is so true. I had my friend twist her daughter's arm when she was carrying her. The baby is one year and is overweight so she is normally heavy to carry. It was so sad because the child kept on crying due to the pain. She was later bandaged and healed after some time and I hope the same thing doesn't happen again. She is innocent in all this.

Alexandoy likes this.
  13. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Ouch. That is a very bad experience for the adult who didn't know how to carry the baby properly. I wouldn't trust anyone to carry my baby aged from 4 months and younger because of the delicate condition of the bones. A sprain is possible and a fracture would be a disaster. I hope young parents would learn how to handle the baby properly especially in the carrying,.

14. Hova

Hova Active Member

I can't even begin to imagine the kind of pain the baby went through. There is an important lesson to be learned from this experience i.e babies are more fragile than your most expensive fine china and they should be handled with much care.

15. Emma kwamboka

Emma kwamboka Member

She healed so fast. She was probably not in so much pain. I think having a baby when you are still at a tender age, had most to d with it, My mum was there the whole time helping me raise my child. She would even scold me if something bad happened to my daughter. That always kept me on track, I never wanted to experience her bad side. All in all, having someone elderly to guide you through it is such an awesome idea.

16. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Yes babies are too delicate too handle. Every part of their body is soft and tender. That's why they should be handled carefully. They are glasses when they're mishandled and carelessly carried worse would happen to them.

I have 6 children as far as I could it's only once or twice I carry them for I'm afraid that I might get hurt them if I carry them.

17. mildredtabitha

mildredtabitha Member

I agree babies are really fragile ,their body is fragile from the head,skin and even bones.The should therefor be handled with much care and caution.And any dangerous item that can cause any harm should be kept far away from them.

18. Emma kwamboka

Emma kwamboka Member

As parents, we should watch what we feed our children. Most of the food they eat should be healthy to be beneficial to them. Most of the junk foods make them overweigh and have more complications. Processed food and candies shouldn't be given to children. Some children end up being heavy and affect how you handle them.