Any good idea to leave breast feeding habit

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by naruto100, Jan 8, 2018.

1. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Hello, My daughter has completed 1 year and 2 months already. I guess its time to leave breast feeding habit. Right?

Now we have tried out couple of things and avoid her when she was asking for it. But it is not working. She is keep crying for that and in the end there is no other option. Its bit hard to see her keep crying like that. I wonder if there is any good idea for making it bit easier.

Please share the experience and ideas? Thanks.

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

I remember my mother putting chili on her nipple to discourage my baby sister from breastfeeding but chili has a hot effect on the nipple. Next, they used the juice of the bitter gourd leaves but to no avail. Babies that are breastfed have the fixation on the nipple of the mother and I guess the easiest way is to bait the baby with sweets. Giving it sweets and later on putting the sweets on the nipple of the milk bottle. That will help for sure.

naruto100 likes this.
  3. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Each time she cries have you tried the bottle? You will have to put up with the crying and repeatedly keep bringing the bottle to her lips. When she feels hungry she will accept the bottle. What is needed is patience from you. My sister started giving her child solid food straight after breast feed.

naruto100 likes this.
  4. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

Weaning a baby off breastfeeding is sure a tricky one. have heard so many things that mothers do to achieve this. Some say apply a bitter but harmless substance like aloe-vera to the nipple. Others say just take them off and feed them with semi-solids like baby porridge. They will kick and scream and cry all day but a very hungry baby will have no choice but to eat what is offered.

naruto100 likes this.
  5. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

This takes me back. I fed my son for 10 months and had the most terrible time getting him off the breast. He would cry so hard and we would both end up in tears. He hated the rubber teats and wouldn't take a bottle so in the end I weaned him straight on to a trainer cup which he seemed happier with. My daughter was much easier. She would always take a bottle if I wanted to leave her with a babysitter and lost interest in the breast at 8 months. They are all so different.

naruto100 likes this.
  6. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Yes, we keep bottle all the time, in fact more because just to leave this habit. But she is not accepting the bottle at all and keep crying. This is happening at night only. In day time we somehow manage this thing. At night she just keep crying and we have to wake up and turn on the lights. Then after lots of effort she sleep again and things repeat again after few hours. So it is getting hard. Two days already past.

7. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

So what did you do to leave that habit from your son? It it just happen as time passed.

8. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

Is there any special reason you want to wean her off now? Or is it your culture to stop breastfeeding at one year old? I am not sure about other culture, as I have read from some people breastfeeding up to one year old is not considered normal, but since I started breastfeeding my eldest, I read the recommendation from WHO (World Health Organization) and I set my target as at least two years old.
    Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended up to 6 months of age, with continued breastfeeding along with appropriate complementary foods up to two years of age or beyond. (excerpted from WHO website)

I breastfed my two elder children up to 2.5 years old, and it was still difficult for me when I wanted to wean them off. Since they were old enough, I managed to explain to them and they understood too, but as you said, it's a habit that's hard to break. As parents, we just have to stand firm but not give in. I remember my eldest cried for a week, then slowly he accepted the fact, and didn't wake up and request anymore.

I heard from some friends, it's good that the dad can help, and the mother just leaves the baby, as baby always just looks for mom whenever she needs nursing, if mom is not there, she might not be so cranky for breast milk. As my husband was working, I didn't ask him for help, I just carried or comforted my child without nursing no matter how. Of course, he kept crying, and later either he fell asleep or gave up asking. By the way, I didn't use any extra tool or ingredient to help. It's tiring at the beginning, for about a week, I think, then he just slept well after that.

naruto100 likes this.
  9. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Two days is nothing. Keep following this routine. That is how it will be for you. You should not give in even if it means missing your sleep for a few days more. Good Luck with your efforts.

naruto100 likes this.
  10. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I fed him a bit longer but still gave him juice from a trainer cup which he would accept. Then one day I decided to give him milk in the cup instead of the breast .. and he accepted it. He was like your baby, he just hated a rubber teat and would just cry if I tried to give him the milk this way. I remember I had to cuddle him close while he drank from a cup because a part of it is wanting to be close to our body.

These little problems seem never ending while they are happening and you think they will never get there but when you look back you understand that they all do it in their own time and grow up to be independent little people.

naruto100 likes this.
  11. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

That's what we are doing. I can't see her keep crying like this but I guess I don't have any other option. Though it look like it is getting better day by day. Now at least she is drinking milk by bottle at night and get sleep after some times. So I guess she will be fine soon. Yes everybody is saying that it will take some time. I hope she will forget it soon enough.

Very true. Though she is doing fine now. At least better than first day. I will try out that trainer cup you suggest. I hope she will be fine soon.

littlewitch66 likes this.
  12. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

For two years! I didn't know about it. Here mostly people start leaving this habit after one year. So we followed the same. Sometimes it looks odd if she demands it in front of all people.

Yes I guess that's how it will go. Its almost 4 to 5 days now, and right now she is doing fine compare to first day. So yes I guess they will understand the fact. It is just like we need to be strong enough. And I am really bad in it, as I can't she her crying like that.

13. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Congrats on your patience. With kids nothing works better than being at what one wants them to achieve. Now get ready to get her to learn what she may not like (lol) Children take advantage of parents who have no patience.

naruto100 likes this.
  14. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Ha ha.. I have full patience but I can't see her crying. But I guess we have no other option. True, that I have to be ready to teach her many things which she will not like and I have to force her. Let's see how things goes. Surely going to face some hard time, but I am enjoying each and every moment with her. So no problem.