Awareness!

Discussion in 'Babies' started by HeatherAshley, Oct 17, 2017.

1. HeatherAshley

HeatherAshley New Member

So this is a sad story actually, and I want to share it to everyone to give awareness. I was in a hospital when a baby rush into the emergency room, I was heartbroken with how the baby looked like. The little angel was drowned with her own milk, she was left alone having her milk lying flat on her back. The mommy thought it was safe and ok didnt she know that it will be the last time she will see her baby full of life. Please mommies, always keep your babies head elevated while giving them milk and never leave them while having one. Have you tried drinking while lying down?? Isn't hard? You know how it feels, please dont let your babies suffer.

And if you have advice for first time mommies share them as well! Lets help each other. Spread love!

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

Pardon me for being skeptical about that incident. I wonder how the baby could suffocate itself with milk, assuming it is the milk bottle. My sister-in-law is a nurse in a public hospital and sometimes I hear sad stories of babies being strangulated accidentally. But this is the first time I've heard of a baby drowning caused by the milk bottle. I really think that it is not possible to happen.

3. Miches

Miches Active Member

This is highly possible and although they are rare, there had been news stories about babies drowning while bottle feeding or even breast feeding for that matter. Things can turn tragic if we leave babies to their own devices. Given access to a bottle and left alone to feed, a baby can overfeed himself and not know it and may choke on the milk. Accidents like these can be easily avoided with basic training in child care and they almost always occur with negligence. I am curious, though, if parents should be held legally responsible for such deaths as there are parents who seem to be able to get away with it.

4. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I personally think that this one's possible and dangerous for the baby. Feeding while lying flat will offer greater risk for aspiration and this is the reason why hospitals advice moms to carry the baby with the head part elevated while feeding. Aspiration means the fluid will enter the lungs and impede its normal breathing function. Though feeding while lying is a common practice, it is not advisable especially for newborn babies. It is good that you shared this story for everyone's awareness.

Elsa likes this.
  5. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

It is truly important to educate parents about a baby's safety, expecially first time parents who are still learning the 'tricks of the trade'. It's so sad to note that the incident is very much preventable if only parents are more keen and mindful of their child's safety. It's likely the baby may have suffocated.

6. Elsa

I didn't hear of news about babies drowning from milk when I was still having babies, but I sure know babies could suffocate from too much milk (especially from bottle feeding) if unchecked so I always made sure I pay attention to my babies when I was breastfeeding or bottle feeding them.

I did find a report about a baby who drowned from milk so I'm sure it does happen. Here's the link in case you're interested:
    http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/baby-dies-while-being-bottle-fed-father-playing-handphone

7. Elsa

True, @Miches , things can turn tragic if babies are left on their own to feed. I would say it is irresponsible for parents to do that. Should they be held liable? I really cannot say because I know for sure no parent would want such a thing to happen to a baby, but unfortunately, it does happen like the report I found online about a baby who died because her father was busy playing on his handphone while bottle feeding her, and kept shoving the bottle in her mouth despite her protests and cries. It's truly irresponsible!

8. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I remember when my daughter was a few weeks old. She was a crying baby and I got so little sleep. One night she wouldn't stop so I just took her into bed with me and attached her to my breast where she fed for hours. When morning came I sat her up and she did a massive projectile vomit across the room where she had overfed. When I think back it was definitely not a good thing to do but when sleep deprived we sometimes make decisions we would not normally make.

9. Elsa

Yes, I agree. Sleep deprivation can make us act without thinking. I'm really glad your daughter is okay :)

10. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

It is very sad to hear that. I understand that drinking anything while lying down is very hard and sometimes one may choke on the liquid. I can only imagine what it would be like for a baby. It is awesome that you have shared this story and this will help moms everywhere to understand the dangers to their infants. Death by drowning is a very painful death and for a baby to go through that is very painful to even imagine it possible.

Elsa likes this.
  11. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

It's heartbroken indeed upon reading your story about the baby who was drown by the milk in bottle fed to him. It would be possible. I also heard this an isolated of an infant here in our place.

Let's put it that it won't happen but it's better not to leave the baby being fed in a bottle of milk to be left unattended. Extra care should be given to the infants for not only drowning of milk may cause the desth of the new born child but also msy be suffocated by the blanket or cloth that wrapped him.

Elsa likes this.
  12. Elsa

Yes, a baby can choke on liquid. Drowning is indeed possible if parents or someone caring for a baby is careless. The death of one's child is probably the most painful thing a parent will ever feel so we should be very careful with our kids.

13. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

This is one of the saddest, gut wrenching story ever:(. The death of a child is one of the most difficult things anyone can ever deal with. Especially if the circumstances was a home incident that could have been avoided. I don't have the exact stats, but quite a lot of babies under the age of 3 die from a home related accident. This is so bad. Parents just have to ensure that they monitor children in this age group 24 hrs if possible.