Books for your toddlers

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Binu, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Binu

Binu Member

Toddlers falls on the group of children who have just started to read. If you are raising toddlers, do you invest on books for your toddlers? If you are buying books for your children, what kind of books do you buy, picture book or simple story book?

2. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

Picture books with lots of colours is ideal at this age. Remember, most kids may tear the book up and therefore, I find flash cards more ideal.

Besides, flash cards hold one concept a picture or a letter in bold way such that the child can give his or her maximum concentration.

3. kamai

kamai Active Member

I have bought my daughter a couple of hard covered books and she loves them. When wanting to purchase books for her I keep in mind that colorful books with her favorite characters is what catches her attention more. I love it because she asks for me to read them multiple times a day and have noticed she has learned a lot from them.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

This topic is great for toddlers because I am opposed to giving them tablets. As I had posted in another thread, it really makes me sad to see toddlers being left with tablets so their parents or caretakers can attend to something else. Picture book is great for toddlers especially if the adults can give time to explain to the toddlers what the picture book is all about. There are picture books with very short stories or even nursery rhymes which the toddlers would surely enjoy.

5. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Illustrated, colorful big books for our toddlers, we used to buy for them. Toddlers are already using their visual discrimination skills. They react to colorful objects. They look at the pictures curiously. Giving or exposing them to book is like opening their interest to learning new things.

6. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

I would buy picture books with short sentences. I would especially use those books that all the pages are made of hard cardboard of some sort. The toddlers I've taken care of usually would rip out the pages of paper books and attempt to eat them so hard books are a good choice in this situation. Those usually only consist of pictures and a few sentences which are perfect.

7. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

Books are not only extremely entertaining for toddlers, but are great for their education and development as well.

The best books in my opinion both stimulate the imagination as well as teach some sort of lesson. At this age, a lot of the most effective learning comes from stories and the examples within them.

There are lots of great ones I remember reading myself as a toddler and others I've read to others, like The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Corduroy, Are You My Mother, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, and others with Eric Carle or Dr. Seuss.

nangk08 likes this.
  8. tony

tony Active Member

I think it's best to have a library of a combination of picture books and the simplified story books for the toddler. The child will appreciate and assimilate better reading and seeing the photos of things being taught him. Picture books matters a lot in helping the young child see what is being taught

9. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I used to have a job working with kids and I was always amazed with how good the children's books are these days. I mean I know we had good ones when I was growing up, but there are some advances that have been made and I have to say that I like them.

10. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

image.jpg When my son was a toddler, I bought the Golden Books, I used to read to him for hours. They were filled with great stories and many pictures. Every time I went shopping I would pick one up, he loved these books.

I don't know if they still sell these, but the Golden Book series is ideal for toddlers. Mother Goose Fairy Tales is another great book.

11. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

I have written and published a book for toddlers. It is called Amazing Alphabets and is available as a print on demand book as well as ebook on Amazon. The book tells a simple animal story in alphabetical order. I think this book is helpful to teach alphabets to thee toddler.

12. louisemartin

louisemartin New Member

Nice information. . . . ..

13. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

I think once you call them toddlers is when they start to walk and then up to about 4 years old,and Its really fun to introduce these picture books to that child, although Its ok if you cannot finish the book-but a few minutes is ok because the child has a short attention span. Some books to recommend are, Little Blue Truck, Goodnight Moon,and of course a lot of the Dr. Seuss books are great like- "The Cat in the Hat" and "Green Eggs and Ham" are wonderful for toddlers and have been around forever.

14. tyche

tyche Active Member

I remember my mom used to buy us childrens books and coloring books. I also remember encyclopedias were quite popular too before the internet became popular, although we don't have one.

15. remnant

remnant Member

Toddlers should be given old, wornout or out of print books to play with to familiarise them with the tactile aspect of learning. Coloured books full of drawings are the best since they naturally attracted to bright colours. Taking them to a set up where other kids are learning is quite good. The habit of learning can develop early and everything else will be a downhill task.

16. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

I used to buy a lot of books for my son when he was a toddler and still do! I started with first getting him small, thick cardboard books with big pictures, the books were small ones which he could comfortably pick up with his tiny fingers and sometimes easy to even chew. The next books were Dr. Seuss books, Are you my Mother and The Hungry Caterpillar! Now he is on to Geronimo Stilton and Harry Potter books.