Dealing with rashes on toddlers

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Heatman, Mar 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

When are actually in a very hot weather season now with the sun heating up everything and everywhere including the rooms so much that you can hardly sleep well with either having a fan or air conditioner on. Now, constantly having the fan on isn't good for toddlers because they would catch cold and it becomes another problem for the parents.

The best way to deal with rashes appearing on the toddlers skin as a result of too much heat is by nothing applying any body creams on their body after night bath but applying lots of medicated powder on them to help control the rashes.

2. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Well this is one thing that I do not miss about having the young ones around. It seemed like every day there was a new place on the body to have to attend to at certain ages, especially when school started and all the interaction. Good news is there are some good products out there these days.

3. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

I think that the it's as a result of how fragile and sensitive their skin/body seems to be is the reason why toddlers have this issue of rashes or other skin disease probably from interactions with other children at school. I actually have to wear my nephew gloves to reduce flesh contact using the hands.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

We are also in a tropical country. When my daughter was a toddler, what we apply was corn starch. We had no air conditioner during that time and the electric fan was not sufficient to cool our home. After giving my daughter a bath, we use corn starch instead of baby powder. My mother said that the corn starch tends to cool down the skin hence the rashes are prevented. But in this modern times, I know that there are creams and lotions for that purpose.

5. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

I haven't heard about the use of corn starch being used for such purposes but I'm glad to have such information even though it seems to be something used before the production of several creams as well as lotions that can soothe rashes and prevent its spreading all over the body.

6. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

We live in a hot country too and heat rashes are quite common. What we do at the onset of summer to counter the rashes is to keep a raw mango out in the sun inside a copper vessel until the mango is cooked soft. Or else just boil a whole raw mango in water, mash the pulp and apply to the toddler all over the body. Leave it for 10 or 15 minutes and then bathe in lukewarm water. This is the best treatment for heat rashes and it also prevents new ones from appearing.

7. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Wow, this treatment of heat rashes therapy looks interesting. I'm sure that it doesn't have any side effects on the toddlers? The only problem one might experience here in using this therapy is that you don't see mango all season here and without the mango, the therapy is rendered ineffective.

8. tyche

tyche Active Member

I just let rashes disappear on it's own, maybe just some powder and let it go away. I will also rub ointment on it.

9. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

These days there are so many powders that can be easily used when the toddler has skin issues. We have powders meant specially for prickly heat as it is called.

Alexandoy likes this.
  10. Alexandoy

You are right. There are new products now for the rashes or prickly heat. I have seen one called Cool Powder which is obviously for the prevention of rashes or prickly heat. My sister-in-law who is a nurse said it is effective for children. Now I am thinking of buying that cool powder for my own use because sometimes I get skin irritation due to the extreme heat.

11. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

As mentioned here by some users, corn starch could do some relief to baby's rashes. My wife is using this everytime our baby may be suffering from prickly heat due to excessive heat of the sun.

It's easy to use. Just apply gently to the affected area of baby's body. Just like applying a baby powder.

12. Hova

Hova Active Member

Personally, I've never used any medication but I know of people go for the next "BIG THING". I'm more of a, eat well and let the body heal itself kind of a guy.

13. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

14. Hova

Hova Active Member

Hold up, rashes on toddlers could be Covid-19?! This is going to get a lot of parents worried.

15. mildredtabitha

mildredtabitha Member

I heard baby powders help with butt rashes.

Alexandoy likes this.
  16. Alexandoy

Yes, the mothers I know use baby powder to ease the irritation from the rashes. Even the prickly heat can now be neutralized by the baby powder in terms of irritation. I remember in the olden days that toddlers would be given a long bath to ease the itch of the prickly heat. But after the bathing the itch would return so they use corn starch to cool the skin.

17. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Using fresh aloe vera gel to soothe rashes works much better than any other products. It is especially good and safe for babies.

18. Hova

Hova Active Member

Most mothers I know use baby powder to take care of rashes. It was like this when I was a baby and it is still the same to date.