Difficult Training a Boy

Discussion in 'Kids' started by Archimedes, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Archimedes

Archimedes New Member

Boys are not a burden in the family unit. They are a wonderful blessing! I mean it with my whole heart. But as they turn into teens, that's another story. But as long as they and, I, their mother, get along so well -- on my terms, we are fine.

Kidding aside, my teens are okay. They carry so much responsibilities in life as they move closer to twenties: jobs, submitting to cranky bosses. etc... Ah-ha, it's pay back time!

Finally,(almost) it is extremely difficult to train a boy in the way his father does not go. So, I guess, that's life of a mother with boys at home. I love it!

2. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

It can be difficult for sure. There's a joke I've heard that's something along the lines of if you think toddlers are challenging.. wait until they become teenagers! Now I haven't had that experience firsthand but I've seen people I've grown up with take completely different directions, become defiant and a hassle for their parents.

As for helping them not take the direction of their father.. that's another issue altogether, and definitely can be another difficult one. In any case, it's always nice to hear when somebody's enjoying the challenge. :)

3. Miches

Miches Active Member

Well, I didn't think that my parents had a hard time training my only brother - he's turned out to be the kindest, gentlest, and most caring sibling and child. Growing up, he had no tantrums whatsoever and was a quiet and well-admired boy throughout his school years. My parents probably found it more difficult to raise willful and headstrong girls like us. But yes, I'd agree that this is more the exception than the case. My sister, for one, is raising four boys, two of them teenagers, and she's having a difficult time imposing discipline. She had given each of them household tasks but they never seem to learn to do things on their own without being told to. But they will always be her sweet little boys so she just gets mad and get over it.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I think it is the same for a child whether it's a boy or a girl. It depends on the character of the child. There are children who are tame and obedient while there are the stubborn and good for nothing children. Yesterday I was at the wake of an aunt and our relatives were there. One niece brought along her 2 children, a 6-year old son who looks fragile but loves to run around and a 4-year old daughter who plays with her car (yes, a toy car) all the time. And then I noticed that the boy got tired and he slept on the lap of his father. But when the girl got tired, she wouldn't want to be sleeping. The difference in character made me think that those 2 kids will grow differently.

5. Mika

Mika Active Member

I agree with OP as I wanted to have a girl as my first child because they are easy to train and then help keeping other sibling in control. In my original country where 4-5 children were normal in a family until a couple of decades back and boys were preferred over girls most of them took full advantage and behaved with superiority complex. Now the things are changing a bit and girls are at par so I can say that moms have started taking "full care" of the situation and do not let them take advantage of "being a boy"

6. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

I've not seen that males are specifically meaner than females. Note, when I was a teacher I saw that certain groups of females rivaled certain male groups in being mean. Of course, this was South Korean culture, but the same is also true in the US or anywhere else. I mean, look at all the American bullying cases involving girls and has anyone seen the Stephen King movie, Carrie?

7. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I had two children, a boy who was always extremely difficult (and still is at the age of 36!) and a girl who was the perfect child. I think it can go either way and in most cases it's just luck. My kids were brought up exactly the same but my son went out of his way to be difficult and my daughter was the sweetest girl and never wanted to follow in the footsteps of her brother as she saw how difficult he made his own life and how it affected the rest of the family.

Looking back I don't know how I coped. He doesn't live at home any more but we see him weekly and despite everything he's still my son. Sometimes, even though you do your best, things just don't work out the way you hope.

8. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I was laughing when reading this line. I am not sure how challenging it is when kids become teenagers, as there are still a few years for my eldest son to turn to be a teenager, I just wish with our relationship and connection, everything will turn out to be good.

I personally do not think boys are more difficult to be trained, well, perhaps using the word "train" isn't a proper or nice word too. I agree with @Alexandoy, it really depends on individual's personality. I have two boys and one girl. My boys are more active, and my girl seems to be more "obedient" as others see, but actually she is more stubborn than the brothers and I think it'll take me more time to guide her while still letting her be herself. Perhaps she is also more sensitive, so I have to be extra careful while guiding her. But, I do enjoy life as a mom with the boys at home, as sometimes it seems like my eldest son also protects and takes care of me.

9. Mika

Mika Active Member

@kaka135 My daughter is one of the best as far manners, behavior and IQ are concerned. You would be surprised to note that some people mention it jokingly, "She is Moma's daughter" I have nothing much to say but reply and think about all the hard work I did training and raising her. However, I am glad I have a daughter like her and wish her all the best in her future life.

10. crazeemumrocks

crazeemumrocks New Member

It can really be challenging to raise boys. They're known to be naughty by nature, specially when they reach the age of three. I read a book where they described this phase as "The terrible three". It's because this is the time when they start to explore and they just do what they want to do.

11. Rexy

Rexy Member

I know this is a old thread, but I kind of had to respond - Honestly, I don't think it's difficult, challenging, maybe, but not difficult. There's usually not a big difference between training a boy or a girl. A girl can sometimes be even more challenging, due to the fact that they might be more demanding, and especially when they grow up and want new clothes every week, because that $300 dress was, "so last week".

12. AmieBotella

AmieBotella Member

It's challenging to raise a kid, be it boy or girl, to adulthood. And for me, in the future, seeing my son be raised as a good and loving person is the highlight of my life. Ever since I learned that I was pregnant, I always thought that I was blessed with a life to raise and make him a better human being. No challenge is too difficult to do when my goal is to nurture a good child.

13. Karina Teck

Karina Teck Member

This is just how life goes. By reading all of the comments I really don't know what I will do when my son gets bigger. If he's driving me nuts at the age of two. I can't imagine what I will do when he turns into teenager.