How to encourage a toddler to walk?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by firstcry, Dec 30, 2016.

1. firstcry

firstcry Active Member

I think a mother knows well how to train her child effectively. The take off time for a toddler is the moment when he/she starts walking freely. Till then a toddler depends on others to reach to places and grab things, now they are free as birds to fly.

I have seen parents using various techniques to encourage a toddler to walk. One common step is to show him a toy and keep it away from him. He will be tempted to reach the toy and they help him walk and reach the toy. Once he learns how to stand on his own his confidence will rise and we can just supervise the activity.

Do you use any special tactics to inspire your baby for walking?

2. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

when I was taking care of my baby cousin, we just guided him on walking. I was always holding his shirt while he walks, holding his shirt made me help him to balance. After a few days I tried doing the same thing and letting his shirt go, whenever he would look like he would fall, I would grab his shirt again. I just did that every day until he can walk on his own.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

This phase of learning to walk is the most difficult for the parents of toddlers. You expose your toddler to accidents but you have no choice since the toddler needed that otherwise he wouldn’t learn how to walk. It is scary for me to see a toddler learning to walk because 100% the toddler will fall down and I have never heard of a toddler who didn’t hurt himself. The best thing is to monitor the toddler, be alert and ready for the toddler to fall on the ground.

firstcry likes this.
  4. firstcry

firstcry Active Member

Very true. It is the most difficult part indeed. But nowadays there are various toys available in the market which can aid them in walking. But at the same time it is also to be noted that over use of these toys may inhibit their self learning skills. So whenever possible encourage them to do it themselves. With every fall they will learn how to walk right.

Even though it is the tough stage, once they learn to walk parents would become more busy managing them. A toddler who just starts walking will be very curious to reach new places which may sometimes result in minor accidents. So at this stage proper monitoring is very much required. We should be with him supervising his movements.

Alexandoy likes this.
  5. kamai

kamai Active Member

Teaching my toddler to walk didn't take too long as she was mostly determined to learn herself. Yes, her father and I did guide her at first by grabbing her hands. Soon after she turned one she would get up herself by holding on to things around her. Before I knew it she was already walking on het own, one day she got up and started walking towards me. After that day I have been scared for her to get hurt.

6. to7update

to7update Active Member

I have never encouraged my kids to walk, I just let things happen and they did. I still recall when my older kid started to walk, we had just returned from beach vacation, and I imagine he started to feel the ground solid again lol and he simply stood up and walked. We made him a big party about it of course. :)

7. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

We would usually just have the baby at one end and then, we would have the mom kneel down on the opposite end with her arms wide open lovingly calling for her baby. The baby then does his or her best to walk towards the beloved mother. Each time, the distance becomes longer as the baby gets used to walking more and more. It's a pretty effective method.

8. louisemartin

louisemartin New Member

I will do the same with my toddler..