How to overcome if baby is having fear of more noise?

Discussion in 'Babies' started by naruto100, Jul 31, 2017.

1. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Hello Guys,

When I said more noise I am not meaning of too much loud noise. My baby is fearing from the old table fan which is making bit more noise. Even noise from doors which are jammed because of rainy season. She just used to give tight hug to me when she heard such noise.

I wonder if it will be alright with age. Do you guys have any idea about it?

2. tyche

tyche Active Member

I used to be quite afraid of the dark when I was young, but I outgrew it eventually. So I can assure you that it's just normal for your kid to be afraid of certain objects or noises, and as she gets older she will realize that it's nothing to be afraid of.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

It is common for babies to be afraid of noise particularly the pouring rain coupled with thunder. And for the sound of the electric fan, I guess it needs oiling. We also have a noisy fan that we don't use anymore. It had been oiled but after a week, the noise would come back. It's not just the baby but even adults are irritated by the noise of the noisy fan. No worries, that fear of noise is natural and it will be outgrown by the baby.

naruto100 likes this.
  4. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Its not about only fan, I mentioned that for example. I know that voice can be reduce by oiling. But my daughter used to fear from such kind of noise. She just keep looking at that fan by hugging me tight. Similar happen when she hear some odd noise like this. Yes I guess it is similar with all kids. And it will gone as she grows. That what I think.

Alexandoy likes this.
  5. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

It is normal for babies to be scared of noises such as that made by fans etc. Young babies take some time to become familiar with their surroundings and things around them. So I think you should keep talking to your baby about how it is only a fan and show her how the noise stops when you switch off the button and it starts again when you switch it on. You should also get the fan oiled and let your baby watch when you are doing it. That way, she will know that you have taken care of the noise and will not be scared any more. Just give her time and she will grow out of it soon. But keep talking to her about what causes such noises and that they are not harmful.

Elsa likes this.
  6. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

It's nothing to be worried about. She will grow out of it as time passes. Some babies tend to be more sensitive to noise while some babies can sleep though a thunder without moving at all. You can only start getting worried if she cries for unusually long periods after each noise episode. You can also help by always ensuring you avoid sudden loud noises around her like loud TV commercials, doors banging or people talking in really loud voices like in an argument. And don't throw her up in a swing to bounce her. If she doesn't like noise, she won't like that as well.

Elsa likes this.
  7. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

My granddaughter used to be terrified of the hairdryer. I would wait until she was asleep before I dried my hair as she would look so alarmed and scream the place down.. Of course she grew out of it once she realised it was nothing to be afraid of. They because accustomed to loud familiar noises over time. When you think about it, even as an adult we can jump at strange or sudden noises so I guess it's not so strange that babies with their limited experience of life would be afraid.

Elsa and nangk08 like this.
  8. janemarie

janemarie Member

It does get better as they grow up. It is a good idea to sit with them for a while if they are afraid of something. Read them a story and say it's a naughty machine for making more noise. Make them chuckle and think it is funny. Give the machine a character. Paint a cute face on it and give it a name, then tell it off for being naughty when it makes a noise. The child will then see the fun in it and stop being scared.

Elsa likes this.
  9. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Oh, sorry that I misunderstood your point. Well, the only thing I can suggest is to gradually expose your baby to sounds like that and let's hope that sooner or later she will get used to it and her fears will be gone. More likely your baby is scared of the thunder and sound of fireworks.

naruto100 likes this.
  10. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Yes I guess I should follow that trick. Avoiding such noise completely is not good, as I guess like that she will not get used to of it. But slowly I should make her used to of this sound. I hope she will come out of her fear soon. Still it is good that she is not crying. But if I try to take her near to fan then she feels comfortable for sure.

11. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I guess it's the same thing with adults -- we are afraid of the unknown. Your baby is still learning about her surroundings so I'm sure she will eventually outgrow it. Assure her as well that it's not something to be afraid of, tell her its function so she'll become familiar with it.

I think Tarzan got scared of the fan, too, when he first came to the city :)

naruto100 likes this.
  12. D Lee

D Lee New Member

These participation has been of help. I had no idea of all these ways of calming a baby.. I used to sing to my young sister when we were in a midist of a crowd and she used to calm down..or sing her a song to get her sleep..

Elsa likes this.
  13. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Ha ha.. Yes I remember the movie and yes that tells the logic well. She yet to understand the things as she is quite young. But yes I guess I can tell her by my action. She got some improvement for now compare to starting, but she still scares when she here loud unknown sound. But yes even I thinks that it will be gone eventually as she will grow. I hope so.

Elsa likes this.
  14. Elsa

I'm sure she will eventually overcome it. As you've said, there's already some improvement :)

naruto100 likes this.
  15. Elsa

It's really great to have a community like what we have here. We get to exchange a lot of ideas and learn from each other. Glad you find the forums helpful.

Also, I think it's really sweet of you to care for your sister. Not many would enjoy taking care of a younger sibling. They would rather be out with their friends. I always love seeing siblings who enjoy each others company. Keep it up!

16. Elsa

That's really a great suggestion @janemarie. Turning something they're afraid of into some funny character would surely help get rid of the fear. Eventually, they'll get used to it because they will see it in a different light.

17. Elsa

You're correct there, @littlewitch66. Adults also get scared from sudden loud noises, so how much more with babies who are still getting familiar with their surroundings? I'm sure babies/kids will get over it once they better know and understand most things.

littlewitch66 likes this.