Is early schooling good for them?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by remnant, Jan 26, 2018.

1. remnant

remnant Member

Most busy parents are constrained for time to case for their toddlers and therefore take them to day case centres, that is if they don't hire a househelp. This is a form of elementary schooling and sometimes requires kids to be woken up early. I think the merits should outweigh the demerits but there are some challenges like lack of personalised attention and the fact that some handlers might have a rough streak. What do you think?

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

The standard now for children is to be enrolled in the nursery class as early as age 3. I cannot imagine being in that class when the child couldn't even speak straight yet. In the olden times, children are entered in kindergarten at age 6 and after a year at age 7 they can be entered in 1st grade. I think younger than 6 is a very early time to get into school.

AmieBotella likes this.
  3. Mika

Mika Active Member

I agree with OP but I am lucky to have lived in countries with good care taken by play school as the rules are really strict and the caretakers are well trained and fully qualified. They keep a record of children on hourly basis which includes their diet plan, intake, what they did, what they attempted and their diaper changes. They even post photos of their activities on whats App at hourly basis. If a child is not feeling comfortable, the parents can take an appropriate action.

4. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

A comparison needs to be made as sometimes keeping a child in the house could be worse than sending the child to a day care centre. With mothers working sadly this is the scenario that one sees in today's times. Most day care centres are well run and the child gets to mix and mingle with other kids.

5. AmieBotella

AmieBotella Member

I agree with you. Three years old is too early for a kid to be put to school. Especially if the school is not a playschool anymore. Kids at this age develop differently. Some talk early and clearly, while others are not. This also adds up to pressure at this early age since parents tend to compare their child to others. And this may go on til the kid goes to first grade onwards. It is not healthy in my opinion. You may just want to put your 3 years old in a playschool just for the sake of developing his/her social interaction with other kids with the same age but not to start learning lessons seriously at this young age.

6. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Early schooling is not really desirable as tje kids are too young to understand constructed subjects that are taught to them. Ideally, schooling should start at the age of 5 or 6 until then, their fine and gross motor skills are still developing. But that does not mean that the kids do not learn anything. They are absorbing things around them, observing everything, forming impressions about the world and learning in their own way. But since parents do not have time and families are usually nuclear ones, with grandparents living away from them, poor little kids are sent to school prematurely.

7. Maizzah

Maizzah New Member

Early schooling is good but I suggest that parents still teach them at home. Its good for kids to mingle with other children so that they can learn how to face other people, how to be independent, and learn education. In our country, there are daycares for children. As early as 3 years old, its fine to let them join even though they still struggle on talking, writing or reading. Whats important is they are learning. They see other people. They learn to interact with other children of their same age. They are being thought of good manners. It's actually fun because I have 4 kids and two of them are in daycare every weekdays. Its just 2 hours a day and best thing about it, I always wait for their stories when they go back home. We talked on what they have learn and sometimes they are asking questions. Thats good because you'll know that their having fun and yet still learning.

8. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I personally don't agree with early schooling, as I think there is always good timing for kids to learn, and we shouldn't push them to learn before they are ready. I always think kids should enjoy more play time, especially during childhood time.

But, I also understand for working parents, they might think it's better to send the toddlers to the day care center, instead of letting them stay at home. It might not be safe with a helper, if they don't know the helper well. There are also some day care centers which do not really sit down and study, but more like a play school, and I think this might be a better choice if the parents can't find a good person to take care of their kids.

Kieranlewix and nangk08 like this.
  9. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

For me, I would say the best age for a child to start day care would be around 3 or 4 years. At this age, children can express themselves very well and will be able to say if they are being abused or if questioned about their day. In my country South Africa, some child care centres take babies as small as 3 months, which I think its very bad. No child under 12 months should ever leave the care of the primary family members like parents, grandparents or even siblings. Allowing a child to leave the comfort and safety of the home should be only when it really cannot be avoided.

Kieranlewix likes this.
  10. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

In my experience, children who integrate with the world very fast are very smart. These kids are the ones who should actually start school early. By integration, I am referring to, starting to walk during their very first months on this earth, refusing mothers' milk and getting weaned at a very tender age, ceasing to cry and instead smiling all the time.

Many parents are starting their kids off at 2 years of age, which does nothing for their children. I have seen many cases where a kid starts kindergarten when he is 2 years old and when they reach 2nd grade, they have to repeat the same grade several years in a row because 3rd grade education is too complicated for them. My opinion on early schooling is simple, as a parent, observe your child and determine if be/she is ready. After all, it is you and your kid who will bear the consequences if it turns out that early schooling wasn't the best move.

tallulah likes this.
  11. to7update

to7update Active Member

Sadly, these days school sucks. Our educational system is not conceived properly, and there is too much work for the kids and too little time to play. At the same time, they have 5 months or so holidays per year. Isn't there a way to make this more balanced? Less holidays and less work while they are at school?