Is my nеwbоrn bаby nоrmаl?

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Terry, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Terry

Terry Member

Is my nеwbоrn bаby nоrmаl?
    оur 5-dаy оld bаby drinks а lоt mоrе thаn nоrmаl bаbiеs hеr аgе. Shе will еаsily dоwn 160ml оf fоrmulа оr brеаst milk in а singlе fееd аnd thеn wаkе up 90 minutеs lаtеr tо fееd аgаin. Hеr pоо is slightly runny, but nоt tеrribly. Sоmеtimеs shе pооs whilе wе аrе fееding hеr. I аm wоrriеd thаt shе is nоt аbsоrbing thе fооd. Whаt соuld bе wrоng оr shоuld I nоt wоrry?

2. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

Congratulations on your new baby!

It's generally believed that you can't really overfeed a newborn and as long as they are not spitting or throwing it back up than they probably just need that amount.

That being said, my recommendation is always to consult a doctor or pediatrician if you think something may be wrong. They are the only ones who can give a definitive answer and even if they just tell you that everything's fine, at least it will put your mind at ease.

Twinkle and Decentlady like this.
  3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

My daughter had diarrhea when she was 9 days old and it could have been fatal if not for our early action - we brought her to the hospital. But in your case, it is not diarrhea but maybe overfeeding which results in irregular discharge or poop. But if I were you, I would rather spend for a consultation than keep on worrying. You may be stressed out for nothing and I guess a doctor's pronouncement will ease your mind on your baby's feeding behavior.

4. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

In the absence of fever or any other discomfort this may usually be a harmless situation, it is always good to take a medical advice.

It does look like the baby may be having a good apetite but then it is good to rule out type I Diabetes Mellitus too at this stage.

Congratulations on the new born and happg parenting.

5. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

My relative's newborn daughter used to drink a full bottle every 2 hours and she turned out to be fine. As long as the baby isn't vomiting and doesn't have a fever and while awake is active and fine, I don't think that it's anything serious. Just to make sure, I always recommend consulting a doctor.

6. tyche

tyche Active Member

Well she obviously has a healthy appetite, but she seems to feed a bit too often. My advice would be just like what the others have said, you should try to take your kid to the doctor to rule out anything serious. It's better to be safe than sorry.

7. kamai

kamai Active Member

My daughter turned out to be a healthy little girl and she used to drink milk much more than other babies do and she used to poop a lot. I like yourself thougt something was wrong with her but all babies are different. I soon noticed that she just needed that amount and she was fine. She never had a fever nor vomiting, as long as there is no discomfort everything is fine.

8. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Well the good news is that the state of medicine has never been better, and if you have any questions or issues you can certainly find some professional help wherever you can look. Sometimes you just need more opinions and wait to see how things turn out.

9. firstcry

firstcry Active Member

Congratulations on the new arrival !

As @TheKnight has pointed out if there are no symptoms of vomiting or fever I think there is nothing so alarming. But at the same time I also doubt if there is an abnormal loss of water as you said her poo is runny. As you said she poos while feeding confirms the doubt. So I think it is better to consult a doctor at the earliest. I think there would not be a danger of dehydration as the baby is taking too much of liquid so there is nothing to worry about for the time being. But we need to find out why this is happening and what is wrong about that.

Twinkle likes this.
  10. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

It may seem strange too but if your child is old enough, giving them a few sips of dark soda is a good way to recover some of the energy and any other necessary elements drained by excessive pooing. I've seen a couple parents do that for their children and they do recover somewhat. Most of them are at least 2 years of age, though so you must consult a doctor instead.

11. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

Congratulations on your newborn!

My hubby's cousin used to consume 1000 grams of formula in no more than 4 days and we thought that they are overfeeding the baby and we thought that it's bad for the him. But the baby's pediatrician said that if the baby is hungry, feed him. So I guess that's what his parents did. The doctor said not to deprive the baby from food (milk) because the baby will definitely stop if he thinks or feels he's already full.

So yeah, just like what the other comments mentioned, as long as your baby does not vomit or you don't see anything noticeably wrong, then I think your baby is just fine :)

12. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

Congratulations on having that newborn. Well, try to check with your doctor since they would know a lot more. I had a cousin who finished half a can of his formula within 2 days, and I'm talking about the big canned formulas. My uncle just feeds him when ever the baby wants, I even heard him say that he wished the baby grows fast, He was worried that his savings would run out just because of how fast the baby consumes his formula.