Kids in the kitchen

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Alexandoy, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Kat

Kat New Member

Well, it can be dangerous, but we should also teach them what can be dangerous for them. Maybe they shouldn't be there when the actual cooking begins, like when using the stove or oven. Now, if they are a little too curious you might want to keep them out just to be safe. But kids can learn fast too, they'll want to help you later on and it's ok to let them as long as it's not putting them in harm's way.

2. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I agree with you. I always convey this message to my children too. We are not doing the chores, but we are caring for our home. It's our home, and we do care for it, it's just like the parents care for the kids. That's why I think it's good to involve the kids and they will have the feeling of belonging too. :)

ABlessed likes this.
  3. ABlessed

ABlessed Member

I think that from a very young age, children can and will help in the kitchen if properly motivated and supervised. That being said, as the adult, one has to discern whether a child wants to be in the kitchen just to play around, or whether he or she is actually interested in the meal prep that is going on. Just like adults, some kids like the process of preparing food, some don't. If I have a child with me in the kitchen, I have to be very stern and attentive, because the kitchen is not a playground. If I feel like I'm going to be too distracted with whatever task I'm doing, and not be able to devote enough attention to that child that's in the kitchen with me, then they will have to wait for another time to help me in the kitchen.

4. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

That is very true Kat. It can be dangerous for the kids in kitchen but is also why we have to teach them and show them what kind of dangers there are and how to avoid them. My son really likes to watch when I prepare food, especially when I am frying stuff, he likes the sizzling noise. I only let him watch from a safe distance and also take the moment to talk about what could happen if anything went wrong while near a hot stove.

5. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I have found a few online courses that teach kids to cook or help out in the kitchen, such as Kids Cook Real Food, What's Cooking With Kids. There are also cooking classes to teach kids to cook, especially baking. I think their concept is to equip the kids with the knowledge and skills on what and how to do in the kitchen, hence kids will not do dangerous things in the kitchen. But of course, I think adults must feel comfortable for what they can let kids do in the kitchen as there are still risks involved.