Kids that are choosy with gifts

Discussion in 'Kids' started by Alexandoy, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I remember when my daughter was a toddler, some of our relatives with the same age would envy the Christmas gift that my daughter had received. One child would cry relentlessly asking for the same gift as my daughter's. I wonder why the parents couldn't control their boy and he would only stop crying when he was threatened that they will leave the party.

Jason76 likes this.
  2. remnant

remnant Member

Actually, some kids especially girls can be choosy and even throw away what has been brought to them in a tantrum though its not common. Others are more subtle, accept the gift but the attention span is limited and seek out other favours even going as far as coveting something else. It is good to ask and find out from kids what they desire as a gift in advance.

3. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

I think you could just get the little tykes a gift card and forget about the gift giving sometimes,because it can become a lose-lose situation. I would not buy gifts that the child does not want,and I would feel quite sad for them sometimes-because they probably had something more in mind when they opened their Chistmas or Birthday gift. I know a lot of people want to surprise their kids-but guess what ? people do not like surprises as much as we think they do. I would just ask the little tyke what he wants and give it to him.

4. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I am pretty sure that this is just in their nature, and if I remember correctly it was almost always following having it compared to what someone else got or something that they saw. A little time passes though and it tends to all fall into place, at least it usually did for us.

littlewitch66 and kaka135 like this.
  5. Miches

Miches Active Member

Some kids can be unpredictable and difficult to please. They may get what they have wished for but would still be envious if they see another kid receive something else. My son and nephews aren't like that at all. They were taught to appreciate whatever gift they receive from other people because they are secure that they'll get the real deal from us and that gifts from other people are just extra benefits. I also don't like surprising kids so I usually ask the kids what they want for a gift and do my best to buy the stuff for them. On many occasions, I would take them with me to the store and let them choose.

6. gibbs

gibbs New Member

It is a normal experience when you are dealing with kids since making a decision when you are a kid is very difficult. Peer pressure is one of the most annoying thing when it comes to your kid's gift picking during the holiday season

7. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I agree that some personalities actually are natural for kids, and it's not easy for the parents to "control". I remember when I only had my first child, I was chatting with my ex-colleagues about kids, and they told me every kid is just very different and unique too, even though the caretakers are the same and how they are treated or guided are the same. I thought if we apply the same "methods", the kids would be the same. When I had my second child, and now my third child, I can totally understand what the ex-colleagues talked about. For some personalities, we can even tell them when they were still newborn babies.

Of course, I don't mean some behaviors or personalities can't be changed. The parents can still slowly guide them to the right track, but we need to find the right way to guide different types of kids, and we just can't use one method to all.

As for gift receiving, perhaps it's good to tell the children the real meaning of receiving the gifts or Christmas gifts, and all gifts are blessings.

8. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Some kids are just that way but it's still the parents fault that their kid behaves in such manner because they actually encourage him anytime he puts up such behavior. It's in the best interest of the parents to mind how they bring up their children because if they always allow them to get what they desire, it's really going to be hard keeping them under control.

9. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I agree with this. It's natural for a child to want what another has no matter what it is. I seem to remember my children behaving in the same way but as they got older they learned to appreciate their own gifts. I had more trouble when it was a birthday so that only one child got gifts but I guess when you are little it is understandable. Some people buy their second child a small gift so that they will not feel left out. They won't always be jealous of what another child has and eventually grow out of this kind of behaviour.

10. Mika

Mika Active Member

That's very much common with kids. They want everything they see other kids getting as gifts. I remember a recent incident when a 6 years' old was registering his complaint that his cousin was getting this or that but he did not get that many gifts on his birthday. The difference was that his cousin's birthday was celebrated at his residence on a Sunday where more people were present but his birthday was celebrated in an event management center where only 20 children were present.

11. janemarie

janemarie Member

When I was young and used to go to friends birthday parties there was always a small inexpensive gift for the rest of the children. The games that we played would product little gifts too like 'pass the parcel' and 'pin the tail on the donkey'. All the games had small prizes for us to win. Then when we left at the end of the party we were given our party bag which had sweets and presents in. I don't remember anyone having a problem with jealous children. But this child did misbehave and he should have been coached by his parents.

12. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Every child is different and it all depends on their contented life back home. They will never envy if they get what they want from their parents It also depends how a child is brought up to learn to accept what is not theirs

13. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

@Heatman I need to ask if you are a parent. If you are, from what you have stated above, are you saying as a parent, you are 100% responsible for how your child turns out, irrespective of your parenting skills? What you said is wrong and misleading. When a child misbehaves, the parents should not automatically be blamed as there could be other external factors that made the child behave that way.

And if you are not yet a parent, please think twice and be careful on dishing on parental advice,

14. Mika

Mika Active Member

I beg to differ with your point of view because as a parent I don't think a parent would ever want his child to be fussy or behave abnormally. I agree with @tallulah that there could be umpteen number of reasons behind how a child behaves but not limited to his upbringing alone so blaming only the parents would not be fair on their part. I have seen spoiled

15. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Yes I'm a parent and I'm sticking with my opinion that a parent is responsible for how their kids turns out or should you have the blame or responsibility be tagged on your neighbor? Irrespective of the fact that I'm aware society and peer group has its influence on kids behavior, it's still down to the parent to work towards putting their kids in the right path and must accept any responsibility if things goes sideways.

16. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

I hope my above response to @tallulah answers your question. The parent takes responsibility for how the children turns out irrespective of the influence of the environment and peer groups to the kids.

17. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

@Heatman I need to ask you this again. At what point do parents stop being responsible for their children's behaviour? Are you saying terrorists, rapists and all the horrible people we have in this world turned out like that because of their parents? Are you also saying, where you are right now and who you are is because of how you were raised? I honestly cannot believe someone has this viewpoint in this day and age.

18. Mika

Mika Active Member

No, I absolutely disagree with your point of view. No parents in their right mind would ever encourage or guide their children in a wrong direction. In fact, parents do their best to make their children good citizens with all their efforts and I would not even think that any parent would do such a thing in their right mind unless of course they have a criminal mind and they earn that way. Children in fact can learn bad habits by different ways and means.

19. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Once they are still kids, teenagers and in adolescent age, you as a parent is 100% responsible for how they turn out. But as they grow into adulthood, such responsibilities ain't tied to you anymore. But believe me as you just pointed out should the child turn into a terrorist or rapist, I need to ask you something. Won't the parent be referred the mother or father of a terrorist should it become a public knowledge of how the kid turned out in his or her adult life?

20. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Yes I absolutely agree with what you said about kids learning a whole bunch of stuffs from different ways and means but should they turn out in a bad way, at the long run the parents would still be likened to the way the kid turns. I'm not sure how your culture views parents responsibility in how their children turns out, over here should a child turns out for the worst the parents is to be blamed generally and should they turn out good, it's still the parents that would take the praises.

21. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

Envy is a natural reaction of a young kid, I remembered when I was a kid and my neighbor was bought a bike as a birthday gift by his parents and I was so jealous and filled with envy. And I begged my parents to buy me a bike on my birthday. When my birthday came my parents didn't gave me a bike so I cried and cried until my aunt bought me one. What I'm saying is kids are like that and the best way for me as a parent to go is if ever the request of my kid is feasible then I buy it but not right away, I always make him wait for a week or a month so that my kids could learn patience and the value of money.

22. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Well, sometimes gifts stink! I mean, I hate to say it like that, but I am talking about gifts for kids - not adults. I mean, with a kid, the sentence,"It's the thought that counts!" is a bit more complex. Well, in my case, I got a pair of socks at a elementary school Christmas party, and well, I wasn't happy. :mad: I mean, I didn't throw a tantrum, but I didn't like it! :D

23. millyn

millyn New Member

there are really kids like that. as young as them they have to be disciplined right away.