Listening to Music While Pregnant

Discussion in 'Babies' started by AmieBotella, Feb 1, 2018.

1. AmieBotella

AmieBotella Member

The moment I knew I was pregnant, I slowly changed the things I do. I do play the piano occasionally and love listening to instrumental piano music. I've read that when you're pregnant, and you listen to classical music, the baby picks it up and music helps the baby's overall development.So I did this during the whole duration of my pregnancy and I noticed that my baby is somehow listening when I played music. What I did more is I play it on my phone and place the phone in my tummy while relaxing. When my son is 8 years old, i decided to purchase a portable keyboard and let him play on it. Since I knew a little how to play piano, I taught him a few notes to play with. Then I played to him Fur Elise and he got interested in it. He just asked me what was the first few notes and he kept playing with it. A few days passed, I suddenly noticed he was able to play the introduction of the song based on what he just heard on me playing. he doesn't know how to read a note, he doesn't know where the middle C is at the time and I was truly amazed that he all got it just by hearing it. I also noticed how he knows sounds immediately. His sense of hearing is strong. He can recognize the music immediately and he knows a lot of classical music. I mean, who knows a kid who has a playlist on Spotify that is pure classical music? And I don't even know half of it.

This is where I realized that music, when we're pregnant really plays an important role in their development. His inclination now to different genre of music plays a big role for his growth and development.

How about you? What were your experiences with music and pregnancy or child rearing?

James McAllister and Risa like this.
  2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

Although there is no concrete proof of that but I have read many times that if is beneficial for a pregnant woman to listen to music. Some articles say that the baby enjoys music especially classical but not rock. Some say that soft music and love songs are good for the baby. But my take on music is that the pregnant woman enjoys listening to the music so it affects her baby positively. Whatever it is, I think music is good for a pregnant woman.

3. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I have read a few articles before that music does help in a baby's development, but I never really indulged in it when I got pregnant with my babies.

An article entitled: "Health Benefits of Classical Music During Pregnancy" says babies who were exposed to classical music were "...more advanced in terms of linguistic, intellectual and motor development than babies who received no musical stimulus during pregnancy."

There was also a study on what experts call the "Mozart effect" that claims to make babies smarter. Here's a link to the article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...ical-music-really-make-your-baby-smarter.html

4. AmieBotella

AmieBotella Member

Yes. I failed to note that I only listen to classical music or soft instrumental music that harbors positive energy. I do believe in the power of music to us as a general. They shift mood and calm us.

5. AmieBotella

AmieBotella Member

This is a good read. I suppose this is where the Disney's Little Einsteins storyline came from. If you don't know about it, it's a Disney series that features kids that plays classical music. It's a nice show that my son loved before too.

Elsa likes this.
  6. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I did that when I was pregnant with my eldest, as I read from parenting books, and they recommend that.I think it's more important that as parents, we need to calm ourselves and allow ourselves be at peace as much as possible, so the baby will feel our emotion. Listening to music sooth us and the baby too. I also agree with listening to classical music or instrumental music.

When I was pregnant with my second and third child, I didn't listen to classical or instrumental music that much, but more nursery rhymes as my elder children always play them.

Elsa likes this.
  7. Elsa

My kids have watched it a few times but I never really paid attention, haha. I'll check it out. Thanks.

8. Elsa

You are correct with being at peace. Pregnant women should avoid stress as much as possible because the baby in the womb can sense it if we are tense, and it also affects him/her. Classical music or any genre that you like could help soothe and calm nerves.

9. Melody Joaquin

Melody Joaquin New Member

I'm a mother of three sweet angels. I remember when I was still pregnant, I loved to sing and play music "I prefer mellow" or it should be nursery rhymes if available. That's why I really bought CD's to play it while I'm resting. When babies are still inside the mother's womb, they could hear a sound if I'm not mistaken that's around 6 months inside. I also talk to them, I know he could hear me because I felt him kicking inside me. How God is so amazing right? . I enjoyed it! I could not really explain the joyful and excitement that time.