Losing weight after pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by amitkokiladitya, Aug 10, 2017.

1. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Active Member

Pregnancy comes with multiple changes in the body. These include physical, and mental as well as biological aspects of the female body. The biological and the mental changes resume back in form, all on their own, as soon as the hormone levels become normal . But what requires diligent personal efforts is the physical appearance. It is not uncommon to put on weight during and after a few months of pregnancy. But losing those extra kilos is like winning a big battle. Though a considerable amount of weight is lost while breast feeding the child but still, reverting back to the original size requires a combination of both workout and diet.

Which method did you adopt so as to lose your pregnancy weight and how much time did this process take?

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I agree with the workout and diet because that combination is very effective not only for pregnant women but also for any one who wants to lose weight. The workout can be a simple basic exercises that can be done at home but it is advised to take walking or jogging as an added exercise. For the diet, half the amount of your usual food intake is good but the quality of food is also preferred like less meat and more vegetables. That will probably do the trick of getting you back to your previous weight before the pregnancy.

amitkokiladitya likes this.
  3. amitkokiladitya

The results depend on the quality of our exercise and type of food we eat. It is not the duration but the type of exercise which matters. A hour of walk is equivalent to 20 min of high cardiovascular workout. So a careful selection of the workout regime is very important. Moreover not every exercise is meant for everyone. A person should choose an exercise which suits his body and stamina.

Incorporating more of proteins and cutting down the carbohydrates is the best means of maintaining the calorie intake. An advice from a dietician can be helpful. With consistent efforts a gradual fall in weight starts to appear.

thisnthat likes this.
  4. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

You're so right about this, @amitkokiladitya. Unfortunately for me, I was not successful enough with my weight loss target. It really takes a lot of discipline with food intake and exercise. It's a difficult battle really.

amitkokiladitya likes this.
  5. amitkokiladitya

I agree that the battle is really tough. When you have a kid who drains all your energy all through the day it is really hard to maintain an exercise regime.

Staying in contact with any motivating element helps a great deal. This can be any of your past photograph, your favorite clothes that don't fit you anymore or your dream body image. All these help a lot in maintaining the regularity of the workout sessions.

Elsa likes this.
  6. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I had gone through 3 pregnancies and completely understand the point about the weight loss struggle.
    In my case, exclusive breastfeeding turns out to be very effective. It really helped me out in shedding off a lot of pounds, even if I have no extra time exercising. A healthy diet is also important. A high fiber diet which is mostly comprised of whole grains, fruits and vegetables will surely help increase your metabolism and shed of some weight in a healthier way.

nangk08 likes this.
  7. Elsa

You're right about the motivating element part, @amitkokiladitya. Unfortunately, I haven't really found the element that would really motivate me to shed off the extras. I hope I'll find it ASAP because I know and feel that the extra weight is affecting my health but I'm still looking for the ultimate 'push' :)

nangk08 likes this.
  8. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Don't mean to sound really happy about it, but I can't but feel glad that I am not the only one here struggling with similar issues. I had had a C-section and it was very difficult for me to get back on my feet quickly. I did start doing all my chores around the house and cooking etc. within a couple of weeks but that was about it. Doing those things alone sapped me completely of what energy I had and could not push myself to do even any light exercises. Result, I kept adding weight. But thankfully, now I regularly for 30-40 minutes every day and do some stretching, yoga etc. and although I am not slim or trim as I would like to be, at least I have more stamina now and my weight isn't increasing. But I too am looking for that ultimate push, as you have said to really become serious about it. ;)

Elsa likes this.
  9. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I'm still trying to lose mine and my youngest is nearly 31 :D. Seriously, I gained 2 stone with each of my pregnancies and retained half a stone after they were born. I'm still a stone heavier than I was before I had children but I'm not unhappy with that as I was very thin before. I find that walking helps with any extra weight I might carry, I actually put on weight in the school holidays because I'm not walking up and down to the school but I soon lose it again when the new term starts.

Elsa, thisnthat and Miches like this.
  10. johnny666

johnny666 New Member

My sister have had a hard time removing scratches from her belly rather than losing pregnancy weight. She's just taking some diet milk drink and a bit of morning exercise to lose weight caused by pregnancy. It depends on the woman's biological system. Some may find that they need to work out more in order to lose pregnancy weight while others can easily get rid of it. My sister is a thin kinda girl since childhood.

Elsa likes this.
  11. Miches

Miches Active Member

It wasn't easy for me, too, because I'm not a naturally slim person and I've always struggled with my weight. I also did not want to start a strict dietary regimen right after giving birth as I need to give my body some time to recover. I waited for around three months before seriously attempting to lose weight. I did a lot of walking everyday, mostly just by pacing back and forth inside the house while my baby was sleeping. I also did some spot exercises to firm up my arms and abdomen. I worked with free weights to build the muscles which helped me burn more calories. It took a while to lose the extra weight because I did not really cut back heavily on my caloric intake.

12. tyche

tyche Active Member

I haven't been pregnant yet, but I think that diet and exercise is the best way to lose weight. It's natural and it has no side effects to the body.

13. Kat

Kat New Member

My sister walked off the first few pounds of pregnancy since she didn't have much time. Having a newborn will require your attention, so going to a gym probably won't be possible. She then added some workout videos from youtube. That way she could work out, but still, keep an eye on the baby. Combined with moderating what she ate it worked for her. It took her a little longer, but she's back to her original weight. It just takes a little effort and patience.

14. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Nursing sure seemed to eat up some of the weight I gained. I also had to adjust my daily intake. I wasn't eating for two any more!

Exercise is definitely important, although with 4 young kids, I got plenty. I always wanted one of those jogging strollers. So cool.

Ha ha, @littlewitch66. Good one.

littlewitch66 likes this.
  15. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

@littlewitch66: Lol! I really laughed out loud at your comment. I am sure a lot of mothers can relate to this. Sometimes it takes a while for those 'love handles' to get down. Although it may not take as long as long as 31 years :D. Some celebrities put up pictures of how much weight they lose just months after giving birth. I just wonder at the magic of this. I think ultimately, its a combination of diet, strict exercise and sometimes even surgery for some of these stars who remain skinny for so long after childbirth.

Elsa and littlewitch66 like this.
  16. Elsa

Congratulations on your weight loss achievement, @nangk08! The fact that you're no longer gaining weight is a very good thing. Keep it up!

I've been doing all of the house chores, too, but it doesn't seem to lessen the weight. I mean, if you add up all the hours spent on house chores, they are literally longer than walking or jogging for an hour everyday but it still doesn't help.

nangk08 likes this.
  17. Elsa

haha, I totally relate with you @littlewitch66. I was also thin before I had kids (24 inches waistline and all) but after I gave birth to my oldest kid, I already started putting on weight. And you're right, we tend to keep on eating the same large meal even after we give birth and no longer feeding a baby inside us, so that is one of the culprits. I'm not happy with the extra weight, too, but I can't seem to find success getting rid of it. Sometimes I loss weight only to gain it back again.

littlewitch66 likes this.
  18. Elsa

I wonder why I never seemed to have experienced losing weight from breastfeeding. I breastfed all my kids, and did all the house chores. Hmmmm... And yes, five kids (in your case it's four) alway keeps us on our toes but it doesn't seem to help either. I guess it's really time for plan B, haha

thisnthat likes this.
  19. Elsa

You're right @tallulah, celebrities are likely observing the "combination of diet, strict exercise and sometimes even surgery" so they are able to stay sexy. And I guess, the pressures of Hollywood to stay sexy and young looking in order to be on top or be "saleable" keeps them in check, too.

20. Elsa

Wonderful to hear that about your sister, @Kat. I wish I have the same determination. I am sure that what we eat and drink dictates our body weight, plus the exercise as you've mentioned.

21. Elsa

Come to think of it, you're actually right @johnny666. A woman's biological system could also dictate one's weight. I know of some people who have stayed slim even after giving birth to several kids. And I particularly envy those who eat really large meals but never put on weight. Unfortunately, I wasn't that lucky, so I am one of those who need to really exert effort to lose the extra pounds.

22. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Well, I definitely didn't lose it all by breastfeeding, but it did help some.

So, what does your plan include? The best thing for me is avoiding sugars and starches. I replaced things like flour, rice, and sweets with vegetables and fruits. I did it as much for other reasons as for weight loss. I had to get my blood sugar in check, but it definitely helps knock off some pounds too.

Elsa likes this.
  23. Elsa

QUOTE="thisnthat, post: 6612, member: 28"]Well, I definitely didn't lose it all by breastfeeding, but it did help some.

So, what does your plan include? The best thing for me is avoiding sugars and starches. I replaced things like flour, rice, and sweets with vegetables and fruits. I did it as much for other reasons as for weight loss. I had to get my blood sugar in check, but it definitely helps knock off some pounds too.[/QUOTE]

I definitely have to cut down on soda because I'm absolutely sure it contributes a lot to my weight gain, and also my frequent UTIs. Also less carbs (fries, rice, etc.). Fruits and vegetables are definitely going to be my main dish, too. I have to watch out for sugar and cholesterol.

24. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

I would say not to diet but just to eat a well-balanced and variety of foods-and so some snacks to try, include apple slices,carrot sticks,and wheat crackers that are all good for this. Also they say to eat a lot of "super foods" which are high in the nutrient department and light in calories-and some fish varieties include light tuna,salmon and sardines are good. Also try some milk and yogurt because of the calcium and they are very good for your bones-don't forget about the protein with some chicken and some beans because they have some high-fiber,are low in fat- also they have a lot of protein which is really great as well.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017