Neonatal Jaundice

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Decentlady, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

This is commonly encountered in new borns after 3 to 4 days of birth. With the mucus membranes changing colours to yellow. It is most evident under the tongue and on the conjunctiva.

This needs a pediatrician's immediate attention. For not all neonatal jaundice are harmless and if neglected can lead to serious medical problems.

AngelaMc likes this.
  2. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

:(My niece had Jaundice when she was a baby, and the Doctor said it was common in newborns. It's caused by high levels of Bilirubin a yellow pigment produced during the breakdown of red blood cells. In older baby's and adults the liver processes the bilirubin which passes it through your intestinal tract, but baby's livers aren't mature enough to remove it. Most cases of jaundice go away when the baby's liver developes and as the baby begins to feed. My nieces lasted about 2 weeks.:)

3. Taliska

Taliska Active Member

Some babies are born with it, like mine was. Jaundice can cause damage and complications, but it is fortunately easily treated: he spent a couple of days sleeping under a special lightbulb. Blue light breaks down the yellow pigment into something the baby's body can handle and dispose of. If it isn't treated though, it can be really nasty.