Sleeping position worries of pregnant women

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Heatman, Oct 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Pregnancy is a delicate state in one's life and at such state the smallest of things that aren't a big issue before now tends to be a major thing of concern.

A friend of mine just threw it at me that she is having difficulty in knowing the best position posture to sleep in. If she sleeps laying side ways, she have pains around the rib areas. If it's laying on the some told her that it's not a good posture to sleep in.

I need your opinion on this my lovely people.

2. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Hi! Heatman. I found an article from http://americanpregnancy.org about your query on the best sleeping position. It says the best is to sleep on side (SOS) particularly on the left side. The article added that this sleep position increases blood and nutrient flow towards the fetus. Here's the link to the article for more details: http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/sleeping-positions-during-pregnancy. Hope this helps :)

Heatman likes this.
  3. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Even back then it was a mix of advice and seemed that nobody really knew the right way, and to this day it still seems that way. You can always go anywhere and find something that supports your position it seems like, but I know my wife just listened to our doctor and her body.

4. Rmarsh1984

Rmarsh1984 New Member

I am having trouble getting comfortable some nights myself. I tend to sleep on my left side anyway, so following that advice isn't hard to do. I also have a giant body pillow that I use most nights now that I am so far along.i tuck part of it under my belly to help support it, and tuck the lower portion between my knees. I'm finding that I can't sleep in that position for the entire night though. I always wake at least once to roll over as my increased weight seems to be putting a lot of pressure on my hip, which then starts aching.
    Pelvic pain is also an issue in some pregnant women such as myself. I have to be very careful and slow when I change positions or get up.
    I read that the position you go to sleep in is the one you tend to spend the longest portion of the night in, so if you wake on your back or right side, you don't have to be afraid that you were harming your baby, as long as you sleep most of the night of your left.
    At this point in the game, I sleep in whatever position I find most comfortable at the time. Late pregnancy in itself is already exhausting, I don't want to deprive myself of sleep if I can help it.

Elsa likes this.
  5. Elsa

I would say getting the doctor's advice plus tuning in to one's body would be the best way to get the most comfortable sleep position. I would also like to share an article I've shared with Heatman entitled "Sleeping Positions During Pregnancy" which says to sleep on side (SOS) particularly on the left side. Here's the link: http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/sleeping-positions-during-pregnancy.

6. Elsa

Thank you for sharing tips on getting a better sleep during pregnancy, @Rmarsh1984 . I do think there is no prescribed sleeping position because as you've said, you would have to shift positions through the night because your hip aches after a few hours. Pregnant women should always strive to find the most comfortable sleeping position and when they do find it, that would be the best position :)

7. AmieBotella

AmieBotella Member

Hi Heatman! Elsa's suggestion is exactly what my Ob-gyne told me too. However, it still differs from person to person, in the last weeks of my pregnancy, I am having trouble sleeping too, first, because my baby is kicking so hard that sometimes it's so painful. And he is really so vibrant when I am about to sleep so, yea, I think they know when is the perfect time. I used to sleep on my side (on my left) and when your tummy is so big by the end of your pregnancy, it's not so comfortable too. So my husband was kind enough to gift me a maternity pillow (shaped like a C) so that I can have it support my tummy while I lay down. One thing I never do is sleep on my back. Not only that it may be bad to your baby, but I personally cannot breathe properly when in this position.

You may want to gift her with this maternity pillow too.

Elsa likes this.
  8. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I remember those last months of pregnancy when it seems that no matter how you lie you cannot get comfortable but it's a good sign if baby is kicking hard that all is well. I slept on my side because I've never been able to sleep on my back or tummy even when not pregnant. I remember I napped on the sofa a lot towards the end during the day as I was losing sleep at night.. They tell you to get as much as rest as possible before baby is born but it's not always possible.

9. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Well this is just like the sleeping position for the young baby too, in that it seems to change every few years in terms of what is bad and what is good. For this reason I tend to not really pay attention to all of that and just trust the doctors that I know.

10. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

From what I remember, the advice of the doctor is to sleep in the usual position which is on the left side. So if your usual position is not the left side then make it your habit now. It is according to our anatomy that affects the internal organs. For a pregnant woman, I guess sleeping in the prescribed position is the best.

11. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

The article definitely helped, I appreciate your getting this for me as I have already bookmarked it on my page in order not to lose it. It would be very helpful still in the future for my family as well as friends.

Elsa likes this.
  12. gibbs

gibbs New Member

That is a great article. A lot of interesting and helpful information.

13. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

In as much as it's important to heed the doctor's professional advice, it's also paramount to listen to your body as a pregnant mother and discover how some positions is affecting your situation. Some babies can be positioned in a way that sleeping in some prescribed position would be uncomfortable for both the mother and the child.