Soda and Kids

Discussion in 'Kids' started by Jason76, May 23, 2018.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

It should be discouraged but not banned. It's just not good for them! Anyway, though banning it would be overkill and cause a backlash and also, whatever rule you make - you have to follow it yourself to not be a hypocrite - or do you?.

2. firstcry

firstcry Active Member

Very true. We can't advise them to stay away from smoking when we ourselves resort to smoking. Parents should be role models for them.

Soda is obviously not good for anybody; be it kid or adult. It's better not to let them try it because once they are familiar with its tingling flavor they could easily become an addict. The worst part is its adverse effect on bone health. Consumption of soda accelerates loss of calcium through urine and thus weaken bones considerably over time. Kids who take soda have high chances of bed-wetting.

3. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Please it's better to stick with juice and milk for kids because it's safer for them and more healthy to take. Soda is not allowed in my house because they are likely to take them when an adult is not at home.

So therefore , I try as much as possible not to have soda at home in order not to make it possible for them go and drink it.

Jason76 likes this.
  4. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Active Member

I would say that soda has no nutritional value but does provide a lot of empty calories, and that can suppress the appetite- which can cause children to eat less of the foods they need to eat for good nutrition. Also drinking soda quite regularly can deplete calcium from their bones over time and make them weak also. I think another thing with soda- is that is causes bad behavior in your child because of the caffeine,sugar,and artificial colors, so the blood sugar goes up and down to much!

5. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Moderation is fine I think. However, though, I don't think kids like soda that much anyway. In fact, I'd say it would be more a problem for teenagers. I mean, myself, when I was a kid I liked apple juice. It was my favorite drink!

Heatman likes this.
  6. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Soda is something that the kids do not need neither it is good for their health. So I think, soda should be banned for the kids or at least prohibited from drinking soda until they are 12 or 13 years old. They should instead be encouraged to drink fruit juices or better still, eat fruits so they get all the essential minerals, vitamins etc. and also plenty of fiber.

7. Hova

Hova Active Member

There is a study I found online that claimed soda or any sugary drink consumed per day increases the chances of a child becoming obese by about 60%. This will eventually lead to other serious health problems that include heart disease and asthma.

8. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I only let my granddaughter have it as an occasional treat. I rarely buy it but if we are out or she is at a party I don't mind then. I know people who buy it in bulk for the week and their children are a little on the heavy side. It's not good for their teeth either.

9. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

The chemicals that are found in soda drinks product is not healthy for kids to take because their system is not built withstand such chemicals.

I think juice and milk are more appropriate because it contains all the vitamins and minerals and including the nutrients that they need to develop their body system without any problems or side effects.

10. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I am a soda drinker and Coke is the regular companion of my meals. When it comes to children, I don't mind them drinking soda as long as they drink in moderation that is not more than twice in a day. And also they have to neutralize it by drinking more water. Why deprive children of the joys of life?

11. tyche

tyche Active Member

Banning soda is quite ridiculous. It's not even a drug to begin with. I think that's just too strict.