The risks of a work up

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by Alexandoy, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Women who have difficulty conceiving undergo a work up as a way of increasing the chances to get pregnant. The fertility pill has a big chance of success although there are risks and one is the ovary getting hyperactive. It can produce cysts that can rupture and even cause death. It happened to my wife on the first occasion that she was prescribed fertility pills. Some cysts developed on her ovaries and she was brought to the hospital for an emergency operation.

2. Emma kwamboka

Emma kwamboka Member

Yes, of you are a woman with infertility issues, your doctor may prescribe medicine to help you get pregnant. The side effects are generally mild. They include hot flashes, blurred vision, nausea, bloating and headache.

Comid(one of the fertility pills) can also cause changes in hour cervical mucus, which will make it harder to tell when you're fertile and may stop sperm from getting go the uterus.

Am really sorry your wife experienced such pain. I pray she gets well.

Elsa likes this.
  3. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

Sometimes a couple takes a long time to conceive, and usually stress is one of the major factors. What I could recommend is to couples who are trying to conceive is to take a 1 month vacation from work and just enjoy life, it's best to go to a relaxing place to release all the stress and worries and just enjoy yourselves, it's easier to get pregnant that way.

Elsa likes this.
  4. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I agree, Kakashi2020, that stress is one of the usual culprits for a couple's inability to conceive. A vacation away from it all could help relieve stress and eventually lead to conception.

5. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

I have witnessed people with busy careers, most of them are my friends and some people that I know who had problems in conceiving and all of them are professionals who live a very hectic working lifestyle, these are sales and marketing people, lawyers, admin people and people with high positions in their companies. Most of them now have only one or two children compared to low rank employees who have 3 children and more. So this pattern suggests that people who are under a high degree of stress conceive lesser number of children than those of less stressful positions or jobs.

Elsa likes this.
  6. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

That is true, Kakashi. I also have several friends who had difficulty having a child becausethey work too much. Work-related stress can really take its toll on someone who wants to have a child. Some even suffer from miscarriage due to work-related stress that is why some women would often opt to leave their work in order to have a child.

7. Mika

Mika Active Member

What I feel is that if a woman doesn't conceive in normal course despite her best efforts she should see her doctor. Perhaps a small action like D&C would solve her problem provided the sperm count of her husband is normal. By the way as you all must be aware of that a D&C is Dilation & Curettage of Cervix a small procedure that helps women conceive easily.

8. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Hi @Mika. I agree with the first statement that the couple should see a doctor to help work up on pregnancy if ever they find it hard alone. I just want to clarify about the D&C. It is a minor surgical procedure and it involves dilation of the women's cervix and then the tissues of the lining of the uterus or the womb, is removed. If you know someone who had this procedure, it may be because she has other indications like abnormal bleeding or tumor, rather than doing it to promote pregnancy alone. But, if after the procedure, she conceived, then its great news and I am really happy for her.

9. tyche

tyche Active Member

There are things in this thread that I haven't heard of yet, at least I am aware of such things at this point. Thanks for sharing!

10. Maestro

Maestro Member

I hope your wife is ok. I didn't know the side effect of fertility medication included death! That's something to definitely think about.

Alexandoy likes this.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Stress and pressure can certainly take its toll when it comes to conceiving. While I do agree that getting help from a medical professional is definitely the way to go, sometimes that can also add to the pressure making the situation worse.

Sometimes taking a step back and not trying to hard can be beneficial also, and just letting nature take its course can also work wonders.

12. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

There was a second occasion that she underwent another operation for ovarian cysts that was the side effect of the fertility pill. That hospital trips were scary especially the second when it took too long for my wife to be brought back to the hospital room. Anyway, my advice is to try once and then you quit if not successful.

13. Maestro

Maestro Member

Thanks a bunch for the information. I'm pretty sure there is a lot of people who have no idea these kinds of things can happen.