The role of folic acid

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by remnant, Jan 9, 2018.

1. remnant

remnant Member

Mothers who are planning conception should increase their intake of folic acid. Apart from being a component of blood cells, it prevents neural tube defects, cleft lip and cleft palate, congenital disorders that are likely to afflict the unborn. It should be taken optimally for one month before conception.

Elsa likes this.
  2. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Well I was really unaware of that, although I will say that I have seen folic acid be prescribed for a lot of different things so I am not really sure if it is specific to that. I am far from a doctor though.

3. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Active Member

Folic acid is the first drug which is prescribed to any women who is preparing to get pregnant. It has multiple benefits most of which have been prescribed above. In addition to these, it also helps the uterus to prepare for adapting for the foetus.

Elsa likes this.
  4. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

5. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Active Member

Thanks a lot for the link. Many people justify that in older times women gave birth to a child without even taking a single medication. So why to start taking medicines from the very onset of pregnancy? The answer to this is simply that taking folic acid will definitely cause no damage to your body. On the contrary, it will prevent the occurrence of any kind of damage in the future. Keeping into consideration the onset of so-called precious pregnancies, changed lifestyle and eating habits it is wise to stay safe rather than to be exposed to any risk.

Elsa likes this.
  6. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

So true!!! My thoughts exactly :)

7. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I took iron pills all through my pregnancies even though my levels were fine. I found they caused terrible constipation though and constantly had to use medication prescribed by the doctor to relieve this. It is important to take them though to prevent baby being born too small or too early plus any of the defects already described here. If you do suffer from constipation though I wouldn't take any over the counter medication for it as it may be too harsh. Get something gentle from your doctor.

8. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

Vitamin B9 or Folate widely known as Folic Acid is very important for women who wants to conceive, pregnant women and nursing mothers, it helps reduce the risks of birth defects in babies and helps in the development of the child's brain. Studies also suggests that it lowers the risk of heart defects and blood pressure disorders. Overall Folate helps in the development of Cellular growth of both the placenta and the baby. So if you're trying to get pregnant, you need to take atleast 400mcg - 800mcg of Folic Acid a day.