The toddler is too shy to socialize

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Alexandoy, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

That happened to me and I remember that I was a shy boy when I was a toddler. In fact, my mother said that I was crying out loud during my 4th birthday when the guests (children) sang the birthday song for me. Of course, I don’t fully remember it anymore. For shy toddlers, my advice is to get them a playmate, one child who they are comfortable with is a good choice. It can be a sibling, a cousin or a neighbor, even a classmate (in nursery or day care). And if there is no child available, the nanny can do or even any other adult aside from the parents. And as long as the toddler is with someone that he is comfortable with then his shyness will not be that dominant.

2. josephen

josephen New Member

i spent most of my childhood as a shy boy. this continued well into junior high when after hanging with crazy friends that I slowly embraced socialization.
    I guess being shy is something that can wear out as one continues to learn.

3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

This never happened to me because I was always a very talkative boy. My parents tell me that it was really funny because everywhere I came I trusted and talked to everyone. Nowadays, I still talk to everyone easily (and if the person corresponds, I spend hours and hours talking :)).

I took some time to learn that golden rule "Don't speak / accept anything from strangers". But... Better late than never, right? :D