What is your thought on a baby's gender test

Discussion in 'Babies' started by iamawriter, Oct 8, 2017.

1. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Would you prefer that pleasant surprise or would you be anxious to know whether it is a boy or a girl just by doing a test? May be you want to choose the colour for your baby's room and everything else that concerns your baby? :rolleyes:

2. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

I would not want to know the gender of the baby, it would be better to be surprised than knowing it beforehand. But then, each to his own, most parents now want to know the baby's sex beforehand so they can get the baby stuff in pink or blue colors.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

It's a sign of chaging times that now couples have a way of knowing the gender of the baby even before the baby is born. I have no qualms about it because knowing the gender has nothing to do with the pregnancy. A plain ultrasound will tell if the baby is a male or female due to the protruding sex organ in the ultrasound image. Parents now are losing the excitement during birth but maybe it's okay with them.

4. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

In India this test is banned as some communities are in favour of the male child and they get the fetus aborted if they find out if it is a female. Sad that with some there is no longer the excitement of expectations.

5. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

When I had my children this option wasn't available but if I had a baby now I would love to know the sex. Somehow I think it would bring me closer to the child and of course I would know what clothes to buy and what colours to decorate the room in etc. As long as it was 100% certain I would love to know, not that it would have made any difference to the way I felt about my children, I just wanted them to be healthy.

6. Mika

Mika Active Member

That's true, in India the pregnancy test is banned but the willing couples find a way to know the sex of baby in womb. In most countries parents know the sex of their babies while going through different tests that determines the health of babies in advance. I don't see any problem if the parents know the sex of their baby before hand unless they do not do it for a particular purpose... the abortion.

7. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

Personally I wouldn't like to know the sex of my baby before it's born.I just think it will take the thrill out of labor.I like the scene where after the baby is delivered the doctor holds it up and says, "It's a boy/girl". The surprise that comes with the news is the best part about the delivery process,certainly the happiest moment.I guess it is because I'm a go-with-the-flow kind of guy.I like knowing things last minute and figuring out how to react to situations at that time.Nevertheless, I think it is cool for parents to be able to know the sex of their baby before birth.I especially know women are totally into it,so that they can start making preparations like naming the child beforehand.

8. kamai

kamai Active Member

I never took a test to know my babies gender but I did get to know her gender with an ultrasound though. I don't really know what kind of test is being talked about here but I don't think I would take it. I waited 5 months to know her gender as I thought she would be a boy but to my surprise she was going to be a baby girl. I didn't care for the gender as long as she is healthy. Is the test talked about an ultrasound?

9. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I had the ultrasound scan every month during the pregnancy period, and the doctor asked if I would like to know the gender of the baby when I was about 5 or 6 month pregnant. I like to know the gender (not anxiously) so we can name the baby before he or she was born. I always called the baby by name when we knew the gender and named the baby. It's also easier for me to tell the elder siblings whether it's a baby brother or sister. Both my husband and I are happy to have boys or girls, and we don't need to be surprised too, so we liked to know the gender when the doctor was ready to tell us. We didn't specifically decorate the baby room or buy baby stuff for different gender, as we use all of them for all our kids, can be for boys and girls too.

I can understand the gender test is banned in some countries, especially when some parents long for boys.

Mika likes this.
  10. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

This was one where we chose to wait a while to find out, but I would not fault anyone for wanting to know early or as soon as they can, just from a practical standpoint. It does seem a little alarming when they can tell so early though, but I am not sure.

11. Miches

Miches Active Member

The ultrasound test to determine the baby's gender is a common procedure in our country. I had one when I was pregnant and I would say that it's quite practical to have one not only in terms of being able to name the baby beforehand but also in terms of enhancing the child's pre-birth identity and communication between parents and the baby.

Anyone who has had a child born to this world will hardly lose excitement at birth just because they already knew the gender beforehand. The gender test is actually an exciting part of the pregnancy and many couples go to the doctor together for this test. A child's delivery is an exciting occasion for most parents and it is also one of the most stressful events for women. I've managed to take out some of the stress by knowing my child's gender ahead of the birth.

kaka135 likes this.
  12. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

This thought that one would get closer to the baby if the sex was known never struck me. What if you were expecting a boy and the baby turns out to be a girl? Would you still have the same feeling?

littlewitch66 likes this.
  13. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

I would prefer to know my baby's gender before birth. I want to name my baby, talk to him/her before he/she comes out, plan properly in terms of clothing and inform my close friends and family members.It is horrendous to think that a mother would resort to abortion just because the baby is a girl. I simply cannot comprehend this.

14. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I think you have a mental picture of what your baby looks like when you are carrying them, at least I did. I had a difficult time with my first child (low lying placenta) so I was in hospital for 9 weeks at the end and then had a c-section. It's hard to say whether I would have felt differently had I been given the wrong information. I don't think I would as I was just glad the rather scary pregnancy was over and I had my gorgeous baby! With placenta previa there is always a risk of serious bleeding which is why they keep you in hospital.

15. harijobs

harijobs Member

I agree with @iamawriter. This is banned in India because even now abortion of female child continues. So, knowing a gender of a baby before birth is an offence here. But I would like to have it a pleasant surprise and I would like to experience the happiness only after birth. :)

16. Mika

Mika Active Member

Of course the sex test is banned in India officially but it doesn't mean the practice is not going on in almost every part of the country by qualified and unqualified radiologists who earn higher fee and get the job done. There are incidents of raids on such clinics almost everyday where the clinics are raided and technicians caught red handed. I think our government should find a better way of baby killing before they are borne since ban on sex testing has no practical purpose as such.

17. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

The curiosity to know is going to kill me should I keep waiting for the day of child birth to know my child's sex. I seriously can't endure the wait of 9 long months.

Taking the child test would give the zeal and strategies for preparation for my baby's birth whether it's male or female. I'm that too anxious person, I really cannot wait till 9 months.

harijobs and Mika like this.
  18. Mika

Mika Active Member

You can have a test in the 3rd month (after 10 weeks of conception) so the actual wait practically is six and a half or 7 month. But as you said I too agree with you. There is really no need of waiting besides there are other benefits of having an ultrasound from time to time.

Heatman likes this.
  19. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

To each their own. Your thought why you would want to know the gender seems quite a happy thought such as addressing the baby yet to be born by its name and talking about it to your kids.

20. sweetpot81

sweetpot81 New Member

Knowing the gender of the baby is must know for me for the purpose of prepation for the things needed and setting the ambience of the baby's room. Choosing the name is important factor to know the gender first. I don't wanna prolong my waiting for my child's sex before , while waiting for the right number of weeks before child's gender can be detected, we just consider the signs and belief of our parents dealing with baby's gender. It serves as a bonding moment for us as well.

21. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

I see your point. As long as it does not harm to the baby those who cannot wait would be at peace if the test is conducted. But here in India as I have said testing is banned for other reasons.

22. El Psy Congro

El Psy Congro New Member

I would like to know my baby's gender before he/she comes out from my wife's womb. First, giving name is really hard to do so knowing which gender your child has could help you decide for a better name. You would also like to prepare for your baby's room so again knowing the gender right away would help you set your expectations and do a perfect job on preparing for your baby.

23. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I guess it's also because I do not have any preference of the gender, and no pressure from any other family members. Those were really precious moments when talking about the baby with my husband and also my kids.

For those who did not do the gender test, did you have names for both gender before the baby was born, or did you name the baby after he/she was born?

24. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

In the good old days when this facility was not available I wonder how they went about naming the child. Since christening was done much after the baby was born I suppose they had enough time to decide on the name of the baby

25. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

Yes, you are right. There are many things that went totally fine even before many advanced technology being invented. Many of my friends also named their babies after they have born, because they need to ask some professionals to give a "good name" to the baby with the date and time of the birth. I am not sure about other cultures or races, but it seems some Chinese prefer this. I just called my babies in the womb "baby" before we named them too. :)

iamawriter likes this.
  26. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

I would just paint the rooms a unisex color instead and same with clothing if you want it to be a surprise so really, there's no issue not knowing the gender of your baby. Flowers aren't only for girls and cars aren't only for boys. Maybe you can mix it up and put a bit of both in his/her room. Make it look gender neutral.

27. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Talking about professionals, here mainly the Hindus go by the first letter that their priests recommend after doing some kind of search based on whatever information they have at their disposal. And for this it matters little if they know the gender before hand as one of the key data is the time a baby is born.

28. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

I think nothing is greater than that surprise that awaits couples if the gender is not known before birth. I know how all around them speculate and have fun talking about and sometimes there are even harmless bets among family

29. Mika

Mika Active Member

I think it is society specific. We in India prefer to wait and see what we're blessed with but in some societies they chose a name and even prepare according to the bay's gender (Baby Sower and all). Gifts are bought accordingly and I have seen people decorating baby's room according to their gender so everyone on their own.

30. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Although surprises are great I think preparing for the arrival of a child and therefore knowing its gender makes sense. In India we do not have all those things that foreigners indulge in and therefore it is ok for us not to go for gender testing.