When did you start buying baby clothes?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Kakashi2020, May 18, 2018.

1. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

When my wife got pregnant, she got all excited and right after our confirmatory pregnancy checkup like after we left the hospital, we went to a mall and bought some baby clothes. I think that's how expectant mothers are, and I didn't argue since she was very happy in shopping for baby clothes and accessories. After shopping, when we we're eating in a restaurant I told her that what if the baby was a boy because she bought a baby girl clothes and she just look at me and I just stop talking and started eating.

2. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

Your last sentence made me laugh, but I like your action after that - just stop talking. :D

Some of my friends really prefer to have a baby girl, and they told me girls' clothes are much prettier. I don't deny that, but I actually rarely buy pretty dresses for my girl, I prefer her to wear simple clothes.

Back to the question. If I am not mistaken, we bought clothes for our first child when I was 7 or 8 month pregnant. My mom and mom-in-law told me not to buy clothes too early, and they went shopping with me and my husband. I already knew it's a boy, but even without knowing it, I always planned to buy clothes that are more neutral which both baby boys and girls can wear, as I know the clothes would be pass down to the younger siblings. Just after I bought some baby clothes and before I gave birth, some friends gave me many baby clothes. I was thinking, I shouldn't need to buy so many baby clothes that early. :p

For my second and third child, I didn't buy any baby clothes as I already have many hand-me-downs from my eldest and my friends too.

3. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

I've learned long ago that "if a girl is happy, let her be." So its better to let her savor the moment and indulge in whatever she wants because no man would like to experience the aftermath of a debate with an angry pregnant wife right lol.
    We did bought a lot of clothes for our eldest son though and like you the baby clothes where also used by our second child.

Risa likes this.
  4. BelindaMT

BelindaMT New Member

I started to buy baby clothes after my ultrasounds results so I'll know what color to buy. Since I am expecting that it was a girl as what it was said in my ultrasounds results, I bought pink color baby clothes and girly stuff. I told my friends and family that I'm having a baby girl so they will prefer gifts for baby girl in my baby shower party. What on earth happened I gave birth to a baby boy. I don't know if the ultrasounds has a defect or it was just mistakenly read by the doctor. Now that my son is 15 years old, he really hates to see his baby album because of the pink baby clothes.

Risa likes this.
  5. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I bought clothes in white and yellow at first as when my son was born these were the colours that both boys and girls wore. Once he was born and everyone knew what sex he was people bought me loads of clothes so I hardly had to buy anything. Back in the 80s they couldn't be so specific about what sex a baby was so they would never tell us in case they got it wrong.

With my daughter I have to admit it was fun buying little girl clothes but as she got older she didn't want to wear dresses and used to run around in shorts or jeans depending on the weather.

Risa likes this.
  6. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

In my case, I didn't buy too many baby clothes because it just so happened that my husband's sister has a lot of them and handed them over to us. It is also more practical since baby clothes won't be worn for too long and you'll end up buying some new sizes and styles over time as babies grow too fast. I bought a few pairs only for my kids, and most of the time, it was after the confirmation of baby's sex through ultrasound, at around 8 months. Earlier ultrasound reports aren't that accurate. It is also good to buy unisex baby clothes so that both boys and girls can wear them. But I always agree that pink baby clothes are the cutest.

7. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I have seen my brothers when they got married with a pregnant wife that they would window shop for baby clothes. Window shopping means they're just looking around. They would buy the chosen baby clothes when the wife is about a week short of giving birth. They say that is due to budget constraint but I think that is only right to buy a week before.

8. tyche

tyche Active Member

I never did it yet because I don't intend to have a baby yet, but I think it's best to buy as soon as you know that you're expecting.

9. Rossy303

Rossy303 New Member

That sounds like something every first time parent would do. However, most people like to shop after they are sure of the baby's gender. Well, most baby items are unisex, but it would be more fun shopping for a specific gender's clothes. I have never had a baby myself, so I do not know that much about shopping for baby clothes. However, it sounds like something fun to do.

10. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

My partner and I have been picking cute things we find up for a while now, whenever we see something that we really like.

Of course, working for a company that sells baby clothing also helps. No doubt though that we'll begin shopping more frequently once my partner actually conceives, and buying more gender-specific clothing once we know whether or not we're having a boy or a girl.