When to start education?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Taliska, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Taliska

Taliska Active Member

While children learn things from their parents, starting formal education is a big step. What age do you think a child should start formal education in schools? Around here school starts at four or five, depending on when in the year a child is born, but that's not the same in all parts of the country.

Many parents start earlier with kindergarten or playschool and we're already looking for one for ours because you have to get their name down early. I know other people use daycares which offer some educational services. So when do you (or did you) start yours?

2. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

The ideal age is 3 years when the child is receptive enough to comprehend newer things and has a good grasp of atleast one language clearly.

This is when new concepts fascinates them the most. Colourful toys, play items, play mates and books all are their centre of attention hence they grasp most concepts and languages very easily.

3. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

When you are talking about formal education, in our country the kids start to go school at the age of 7 that was my time sometime in 1960. Now in this present time, a 6-year kid could be in the formal school after completing a pre-schooling experience from Day Care Center or from a Kinder School.

But when training or educating a kid in general, he may be taught as long as he has manifested the ability to distinguish and differentiate things. In short, he is ready and there are kids who are intelligent and have extra ordinary skills. In that case, he shouldn't be neglected. He would right away be trained.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

In my era, attending kindergarten is a rarity. We are 6 children in the family and only our second eldest brother had attended kinder schooling. The schooling age at that time is 7 years old for the first grade. I was kinda young because I entered school at age 6. But now, there is the prep school aside from the kinder and also the nursery. Not to be content, the daycare center which is supposed to be just a place to care for toddlers is now being converted into a learning center. Daycare attendants have a degree in education and teaching is the order of the day. Oh well, I really cannot say the best age for a child to start schooling. Maybe 4 or 5?

5. Mika

Mika Active Member

The rule where I live says that a child cannot join school until he is 5 so the child either goes to pre-school or learns at home. I have a recent example of my immediate neighbor's child who went to school at 5 but did not do well at school at KG so his parents were asked whether they wanted their child to stay in KG or promoted to year one. The parents opted the child stays at KG rather than perform poorly in Year 1. So it's not the age but child's performance that matters more than any thing else.

6. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I went to kindergarten when I was 4 years old. I was glad the kindergarten I went was more about playing and learning, not so much about "formal education", hence I enjoyed my childhood time there. Nowadays many kids here went to preschool even when they are 2 or 3, as both parents are working. Some kids already started formal education and having exams even in kindergarten. I do not agree having so much academic work for young kids.

For my children, I let them start formal education when they are 7 years old, which is grade 1 here.

Mika likes this.
  7. Mika

Mika Active Member

I have always thought that kindergarten is all about play and learn and nothing to do with formal education apart from learning how to count, value of sharing, co-existence and learn manners. Even in earlier years the schools do not emphasize on books but keep their focus on behavior and basics.

8. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I am not sure in your country, but it's not anymore here. There are still very few kindergartens that do not stress on studies. There is one near my house, and I heard from some parents, many parents kept questioning and pushing the principal as they are afraid if the kids do not learn much writing and reading in kindergarten, they might not be able to catch up in primary school. Many said that, nowadays even 5 years old kids started to learn the curriculum of grade 1. I was quite shock when I heard this, but it seems like this is what happens in my country. I am glad I chose to homeschool my kids. :)

9. Mika

Mika Active Member

I am not talking about my mother country where 5 years old are too over-burdened with heavy bags. Parents are too busy with children trying to get their homework done and arranging tutors to help them. I was referring to my present country Australia where they do not have any books or notebooks but it's all play and learn through games and music.

kaka135 likes this.
  10. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

It's good to know the kindergartens are play-based in Australia. Yes, I think kids should learn through games, play, music, craft making and many other fun activities, but not just sit in the classroom all day long and memorize the spelling. Of course, different parents have different requirements for the kids and schools too. Not only because some parents are busy working, but also they worry the kids won't be competitive enough if they don't start learning the academic subjects at young age.

11. tyche

tyche Active Member

I started nursery when I was 4 years old. I think that's the ideal age to start school in my opinion. I know my friend did not have pre-school education and she started initially at Grade 1 at 7 years old, but since she was a bright kid then she never had academic problems even if she did not go through pre-school.

12. Mika

Mika Active Member

Actually it's different in different countries. You know I started my schooling in a village school because my father was a senior professor in an agriculture college which was located in a remote area with no good school within 30 km. So I was sent to that primary school in a nearby village where I started in year 2, as there was just one teacher to handle 35-40 children from class 1-5. Later next year we were shifted to a metro and I was sent to class 4th directly and had to take help of 2 tutors at the age of 6. The going is really tough for children due to competition back in my original country India.

Shine_Spirit likes this.
  13. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

I think every child has a specific need and this should be considered (not being ignored even though many parents - unfortunately - do this). But overall, I think starting the education process at age 3 seems to me to be the "ideal" age.

At this age, children are already developed enough to be able to begin to assimilate more specific contents - which will be essential for them - and to interact more with other children.

14. Mika

Mika Active Member

@Shine_Spirit In India we start the education process at the age of three because by the time a child reaches to year one he has to go through Nursery, KG1 and KG2 so he is almost 6 by that time and well familiar with letters and words etc. In certain countries they do not allow pre-schooling before 5 and if a child does not qualify to go to year one they stay in KG for one more year which in my views is a bit too late. But that's how the things stand and since everyone is happy with the present program there is nothing much to complain.

15. luri

luri Member

Learning process begins in a child just after he is born. However, formal education does not begin until the age of 2. Before the child is 2 years of age, parents may educate their child, however, only in classroom formal education begins. In our home, a child as young as 2 years are sent to school. These school offer Montessori education. If you send your child to school in young age, he will learn social skills apart from learning subjects.

16. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

How much interesting information. Thanks for sharing, @Mika . :)

Your system seems to be very interesting (and I find it quite effective as well). It seems something well thought out and very well built. But does it really work with all the children in your country? Is there no obstacle in this decision on the part of the parentes, for example?

Mika likes this.
  17. tony

tony Active Member

I started school when I was five years, then the school's management was quite strict about age of enrollment into primary school. Your child will not be enrolled until he/she has completed five years. Now things have changed, children can start primary school at four years, and some may even be as young as three. I would advocate four years for primary education and two for Kindergarten.

18. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

The minute that they take their first breath. I suppose maybe that answer is a little cheesy but still, the earlier you can start the learning and teaching process the better off.

19. freebird37

freebird37 New Member

Babies start learning in the womb. They recognize and respond to voices and stimulation. We teach children every day all day because they watch and listen to everything, even when you think they're not paying attention. So it is very important to act accordingly. A lot of parents use curse words and will get upset when their toddler says one theirself. I believe reading to our toddlers and teaching them to count anytime the opportunity arises, like counting the plates when you're setting the table, for example. Most parents put their children in school around the age of four or five. I think it depends on whether the child is ready and other circumstances. A learning environment can never start too early,

James McAllister likes this.
  20. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuha Member

As for me, I started schooling when I was 4 years old. Not necessarily because I liked school, but because my best friend who was then 5 years, had started schooling and so I had been left home, alone and lonely. However, I believe the best age for a child to start school, is 6 years.

Allow them to play, and give their mind time to grow ready for the next challenge. Yes, you may take them to school early, and they may understand what they are being taught faster, however they may not be mature enough to take on the tasks awaiting them on completing school. That's why we have so many learned people, but with very poor life's problems solving skills.

Therefore, I think it's better to delay, to allow them to mature.

21. Mika

Mika Active Member

It works well for almost 99% children and those who do not qualify have to stay back in their previous classes. In fact the education in India is not limited to schools but a heavy home work is given to children right from the beginning. The debate is on whether the kids should be overburdened with heavy bags and go to private tutors after they come back from school. However the over population and cutthroat competition in all walks of life including schools, colleges and jobs keep everybody on their heels and they do everything to qualify with higher grades... right from school age.