Why toys are important for toddlers?

Discussion in 'Babies' started by firstcry, Jan 12, 2017.

1. firstcry

firstcry Active Member

I often see parents complaining that buying toys for their kids is sheer waste of money. I think they are totally wrong as children learn by playing with toys. In fact toys have a vital role to play in developing their motoring skills, boosting creativity and imaginative skills. We may find it insignificant but they are interacting and discovering their new world through toys. Toys also improve their cognitive development by improving their focus and memory. Building blocks is an excellent toy for them to develop cognitive skills.

So I think we should give them right kind of toys at the right time because time is also very important. Do you buy toys for your kids?

Elsa likes this.
  2. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

Who in their right mind would think toys are a waste of money? Isn't happiness worth the cost? A child needs happiness for them to develop into healthy children as well. Toys such as blocks help them learn about balance and every toy teaches them the value of taking care of things. There's a lesson to learn in every toy and even if there wasn't, a child's happiness is important.

Elsa, Jasmin Cottontail and kamai like this.
  3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

I agree that toys are very important for a child. It is one thing that develops their focus. The basic test for an autistic child is to give him a toy and obvserve. My nephew who is autistic wouldn’t play with a toy for so long unless it is digital - the explanation is that a phone or a tablet has moving images and sounds as well so the autistic child is somewhat mesmerized while a teddy bear does nothing. However, what’s better than a toy is companionship. I have seen that in my daughter that when I am around, she doesn’t touch her toy because her focus was on me.

firstcry likes this.
  4. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

Honestly I had no idea that there are people who actually think that toys are a waste of money!

There are better places to save at. Toys are the most crucial part of children's upbringing. It's part of their innocent world and keeps them company.

Even the poorest people give their child a spoon and a bowl to play with if nothing else.

Elsa and kamai like this.
  5. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Generally speaking a kid should have a holistic development on three domains: cognitive, affective, and pyscho-motor. Providing them toys, reading materials, and something to listen to, the kids would progress normally or even become intelligent. Therefore, toys are best for them to manipulate, to handle, and to do whatever they want to. In that regard, his domain for development is tapped to function well.

Elsa and nangk08 like this.
  6. tyche

tyche Active Member

Well I at first glance I just see toys as a form of distraction for the kid so that he will be entertained and preoccupied, and so that he will stop crying. But you also have a point. It can also aid in their learning in general. However, it depends on the kid too, because I was never drawn to play with toys that involve creativity, like Lego or playing with clay. At that time I preferred to play the game n' watch and Brick Game, games that don't require creativity.

7. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

I don't know what to call parents who think that way. Toys have a big impact on the brain and skill development of kids. For me, any toy that is right for their age is considered educational.

Elsa likes this.
  8. kamai

kamai Active Member

What kind if parents would think toys are a waste of money, absolutely not. I actually wish I was able to buy my toddler more toys as she is always happy when she gets a new one and of course they are important for her learning development. Every toy has its value and is very important to the the child. My baby enjoys playing blocks and anything that has music. She has learned so much by playing with all her toys and she enjoys having different varieties of things to play with.

Elsa likes this.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I also think that toys are important for a child's development, and at an early age they do help with learning and aren't just 'fun' to play with. These days many parents will look for toys that can help with colour and shape recognition as well as toys that can improve hand to eye coordination but are also fun for the child to interact with.

Obviously just leaving a child in a room with a load of toys to keep them quiet isn't good parenting, and the parent themselves have to also use the toys with the child, but the days I think are long gone of solely buying toys for children that don't help in their education, and that can only be a good thing and will benefit the child, and at the end of the day that is what it should be all about.

Elsa likes this.
  10. AlexZ

AlexZ New Member

Еvеry tоys is impоrtаnt аnd hаs its uniquе vаluе tо аny kid whо is yоung аnd innосеnt еnоugh tо undеrstаnd thе соmplеxitiеs оf thе rеаl wоrld sо tоys bесоmе а smаll аnd еаsy mеdium tо thе kids tо undеrstаnd thе wоrld. Tоys аrе thе mеdiаtоr bеtwееn аdults аnd thе kids. аlsо kids lеаrn mаny physiсаl аnd mеntаl еxеrсisеs thrоugh tоys whiсh аrе bеnеfiсiаl tеrms fоr thе kids in lоng tеrms.
    аll thе tоys whiсh аrе аvаilаblе tоdаy likе Lеgо, Puzzlеs, еxplоrеr kit, сhеss, bоаrd gаmеs, miniаturizеd саrs, truсks, аirplаnеs еtс. аrе simplе аnd еffесtivе еxаmplеs оf tоys whiсh аrе nесеssаry fоr аny kid.

Elsa likes this.
  11. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

We all had different toys when we were kids and we certainly learned a lot with those toys while having fun. Our parents bought us puzzles, Lego, drawing and painting tools, cooking toys and board games. My baby brother who has autism have puzzle toys and Lego and baby blocks and other stacking toys and I believe it helped him to be creative in building things while having fun and enjoying, same as we did when we were kids.

12. tony

tony Active Member

Why would someone think that getting the young kid some toys is a waste of money. Toys do help to keep the child busy and be happy, I do think they maybe of useful to the child in cognitive development which will help when they start school. The fact is spending our time with our children or kids should be the paramount thing, use of toys maybe regulated.

Elsa likes this.
  13. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I agree that building blocks is a good toy for kids, but I think the most important toy is the nature. It's good to let the kids play with the dirt, water, sand, run around in the park, climb trees, etc. These are all good activities for them, they will always have fun and it's all given free from our Mother Earth. Moreover, their immune system will also be better if the kids always play in the nature.

14. LaCupcak3

LaCupcak3 New Member

Toys are excellent tools for kids. Their minds are capturing so much that feeds into their development and they are also enjoying themselves. It's a great way to learn shapes, colors, texture, architect skills, sharing, and the different levels of motions. However to some parents like myself, there are certain toys that my child will not play with. Any toy that can harm him spiritually or would eventually affect him later on in life is prohibited and off limits.

Elsa likes this.
  15. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

It is very important for small children to have toys. Firstly, it helps with their cognitive development and keeps them occupied. There is a reason why toys are designed to be colourful and oftentimes comes with a sound or music of some sort. This helps to stimulate the imagination of the child. Toys doesn't have to be expensive. You can make some toys at home or you can get some toys at a second hand shop.

Elsa likes this.
  16. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Toys are never a waste of money. In fact they help build imagination and creativity in children and handling toys that are appropriate and specially made for their specific age groups helps in developing psycho-motor and cognitive functions. Also, when they pretend play with other children, using toys and acting in various roles, they are building their own social interactive skills. So we should never say no to toys but care should be taken to see that there are no harmful parts in them that could either be easily swallowed or hurt them. Also, we should put a limit on spending budget for the toys so they know the value of money too and use their toys carefully.

Elsa likes this.
  17. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I totally agree with comments here about toys as aids for a child's development. It should never be considered a waste of money.

On my part though, I never .bought my kids toys that could hurt them no matter how much they want it, like toy guns that use plastic pellets as bullets or toys that are pointed.

18. John Williams

John Williams New Member

Toys are crucial in a child’s development, and in many other ways. Research has shown that children learn a lot through play, and the availability of playing materials is one of the most helpful tool in mind building. As children play with their favourite toys, they learn and develop various skills that will help them in later life.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Elsa likes this.
  19. Elsa

You are correct, @firstcry , toys are important for a child's development. I buy toys for my kids because it helps develop their creative minds, imagination, etc. especially when they were still young. It is important for parents to be mindful of the kind of toys they buy. They should go for toys that help develop a child.

20. Elsa

Indeed, a child's happiness is important because it will make him/her a good person (reminds me of remarks about a grumpy or violent person described as someone who had an unhappy childhood). And yes, they learn a lot of life's values from toys :)