Why toys are important for toddlers?

Discussion in 'Babies' started by firstcry, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Yes, I agree with everything you said @Decentlady . I also do not understand why some parents would consider it a waste of money. Well, there may be toys that could be a waste of money but toys that help develop a child's personality are worth it.

nangk08 likes this.
  2. Elsa

Yes, toys do have a huge impact on a child's development as a whole so its importance should not be underestimated. The things they learn from playtime with toys are the key to the kind of person they will become in the future.

Just to share, I never understood before why my then second son always unscrewed or disassembled all the toys with screws. Now I know why. He was very inquisitive during his toddler stage and that made him very good with fixing computers even at a young age, around 11 years old more or less - he can format and do basic repairs. In fact, he knew a lot more about computers than his computer subject teacher when he was in high school, haha.

3. Elsa

Any parent who buys toys just to keep the child quiet and less bothersome is not a good parent. Toys are meant to be played by the child and the parent, too. Parents should take the time to play with their kids. It's a good way to bond with a child and spend quality time that they would remember for the rest of their lives.

4. Elsa

Yes, I totally agree with your points of view. Everything you said are true and should be remembered by parents, especially new parents.

nangk08 likes this.
  5. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

So true Elsa, especially the new parents need to be told so. Sadly, all they care about is working all the time and earning more money and spending it on lavish toys for their kids. One such couple lives in our apartment building and they buy so expensive toys every weekend as a treat for their son. He plays with them for a few minutes and then throws them in a corner afterwards!

6. Elsa

Toys are important, but to spend on them lavishly is too much. Maybe your neighbor doesn't realize that they need to save for other child-related expenses like medical needs, educational needs, etc. I hope someone educates them soon.

nangk08 likes this.
  7. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

Well, the thing is, both the parents are earning very well and so think that they can buy anything they want. Obviously they must be saving and they have invested in a lot of real estate too, but problem is not money, but what message they are passing to their only child, that love can be bought by money, which is not true, but actually damaging to the child's mental makeup. But that is the current trend we see everywhere so I doubt if they would listen to anyone!

8. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I personally agree with most of you here that toys are very important for a child's holistic learning and development. However, I also think that there are times when a parent can say that it seems like a "waste of money" like in my case, I tell that to my children, not to mean that the toys are worthless. But I tell them that if I see them throw the toys away and not giving value to their belongings knowing that we can buy them another one. The point is toys are good if ourhildren know how to take care of them too, they are very valuable and is worth every centavo we spent especially when.it makes our children happy.

Elsa likes this.
  9. harijobs

harijobs Member

My parents never considered buying toys as a waste of money and when I and my brother were young my father used to get toys whenever he travels to other places. And he will be very careful in choosing the toys even. He always makes sure that is useful for us to learn something new by playing with that. So like you said certain toys like building blocks is said to improve cognitive skills and really helpful for kids to learn and have fun at the same time.

10. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Well toys can mean a lot of things and I would say you don't need the fancy stuff, but certainly you want kids to play with things and explore what is around them. I was always happy with the simple things and so were my kids, for the most part anyways.

11. gibbs

gibbs New Member

Children learn the most important skills through playing. Toys are not only fun (who doesn't want to see their kid happy?) but they can also help your child learn new things in an interesting and exciting way, right from a very early age.

12. JiLLian

JiLLian New Member

For me, toys can help the children's brain development. It enhances their imaginations and creativity which can improve their learning abilities. The simple act of playing with another child challenges them to experience situations where important lessons are to be learned: respect, cooperation and sharing. It improves childrenĀ“s language skills too. It teaches social skills and gives them an understanding of the society they live in. Toys invite children to interact, with adults and with other children their age.

Toys also motivate kids to take initiative, learn to negotiate and teaches them how to get better organized. They learn by playing and toys are the instruments that allow them to discover the world they live. This is why they interact with their surroundings thru toys. In addition, toys provide plenty of enjoyment and happiness, both of which help build their self esteem.

When children have time to play with toys, they manipulate, explore and experiment. They learn many concepts and develop important skills while having fun.

13. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

I think that toys are important to the child's brain and motor development because introducing toys to toddlers promotes their curiosity and inquisitiveness thus they start to learn about the different objects near them and it's uses.

There are good, safe and educational toys and there are harmful ones, so parents should always be aware which or what kind of toys should be given to toddlers.

14. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

The only question I would have is why have separate toys for boys and girls. With equality being the order of the day it is time no such distinction is made and bringing up a child without toys is never heard of.

15. to7update

to7update Active Member

For toddlers everything is new, so toys is a way they have to start articulating themselves and exploring the world. Having fun. :) As for toys for boys and girls, I really don't think there is a big difference. As long as the toddler is entertained and having fun with an adequate toy, gender seems to be irrelevant.