A crib is a must for babies

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Alexandoy, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

I am posting this thread because the other night in the news on tv, there was this baby sleeping on the bed with the mother. Unexpectedly, the baby fell on the floor. It was a good thing that the bed was not high and the floor was wood so the baby was not injured much. I remember buying a crib even before my wife gave birth to our first (and only) baby. My parents and my parents-in-law have advised us on the crib because it is the safest for the baby. And I agree with them.

Elsa and LaCupcak3 like this.
  2. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

:)I agree everyone needs to purchase a crib for their baby, I hope that baby is okay after it fell on the floor. I purchased a bassinet for my son when he was first born, and then I put him in a crib as he got older. When I did put him in my bed I had a bed rail for the side of it in case he would roll over, it would catch him. Every household should have one if the child gets in a full size bed to sleep.:)

Elsa likes this.
  3. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

I agree with you all. Safety of the child is something to consider all the time. It is quite common for kids to fall and I know of a baby who had clavicle fracture from a fall from the bed even though the bed wasn't high at all! Babies are just delicate.

Despite the crib, one has to be vigilant as they grow up as they love to hold and lean on the edges.

4. moondebi

moondebi Member

Yes cribs are rather essential for the infants when no caregiver is around.
    Till the time the babies are unable to take turns, cribs are the safest place for them. However, many parents do not want to spend money on cribs as this is something in use only for few months. As the child grow, cribs are of no use.

5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

Cribs are important for babies/toddlers because it will keep them safe from falling down. When we were little, we have our own crib since our mom wasn't around that much to look after us since she's doing a lot of household chores. That way, mothers can do a lot of things especially if they don't have nannies to look out for their babies if they are busy.

Elsa likes this.
  6. LaCupcak3

LaCupcak3 New Member

@Alexandoy I too agree with that. It is the safest thing for parents to let the baby sleep in their own crib, until they are old enough to sleep in a bed.

7. Folk Artist

Folk Artist Member

I think the crib creates a good environment so the baby can play or sleep in a safe and comfy way-also make sure to check the crib so it is assembled and the screws are secured and brackets are in place. Also you could put the crib in the mother's room so she can keep a good eye on the baby as well-and this is a really good and safe setup overall and it gives you "peace of mind" when putting your baby asleep at night.

8. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I am a supporter of co-sleeping, hence we didn't buy a crib. We removed the bed frame since my eldest was born, and now we are sleeping on the mattress, so it's quite safe for the baby. I also put some extra mattresses and pillows around the bed (mattress), just in case the baby might fall out from the bed.

We did buy playpens. Those were for the baby to stay in and play while I was busy during day time, especially when they already knew how to climb, so they were safe when I was working with something else for a short while.

9. Miches

Miches Active Member

We bought a crib for my son but it was a type of crib that would open on the side and can be placed beside our bed like an extension. It kept him safe from accidentally being hit or smothered by us while sleeping but at the same time kept him close to us as we slept. He was such a small baby that I didn't feel safe it was safe for him to co-sleep with us. He slept on the crib for around two months and afterwards, I would let him co-sleep with us on the main bed. The crib then served as his playpen during the day.

10. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

The crib is very good for a baby to have. It sleeps the baby to sleep independently and it also acts as a play pen in the daytime. Most adult beds are far from the floor and though some parents might feel its better to have the child sleep with them, especially if the child has a fever or something, they must ensure the bed is large enough to fit everyone.

11. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

Here we got cardle for our baby when she was small. I wonder if it is more different than crib. I guess it should be fine too for infants. Whenever she was feeling uncomfortable in it we used to put her in bed between us so that she don't get fall. Now she has started taking step so now we have to be even more careful. I am sure even crib will not work for 1 year walking baby.

12. kamai

kamai Active Member

I never bought my baby a crib but since she did and still sleeps with us I will always position her in a way that she wouldn't fall nor get hit or squished by me. I can't imagine her being away from me as I can always make sure she is okay right away since she is near me. I just don't agree on cribs unless it was an attachment to the bed.

naruto100 likes this.
  13. naruto100

naruto100 Active Member

That's okay, as I have seen many parents with the same thinking. They just want to make sure that not by any fault their kids face odd incident. So it is fine. Even we have used really less this thing. Though sometimes they are good as it can really provide safety. But yes at night we too used to keep our baby with us.

kamai likes this.
  14. Rmarsh1984

Rmarsh1984 New Member

I personally believe that co-sleeping can be done safely. It wasn't something that worked for me, as I never got a decent rest that way. Part of my mind was always awake monitoring how I was positioned next to baby, or making sure the blanket wasn't up too high and so forth. I felt it was best for me and my baby that I get a deeper sleep, even if I had to be more awake to go to the next room to nurse during the night.

My other reason for not wanting to continue co-sleeping was fear that he would grow to depend on me to fall asleep (which ended up happening anyway, ugh). My son hated his crib in general. Aside from the first few months of his life, he mainly slept on a futon on the floor of his room. Once he was mobile, there was a gate placed in his doorway to prevent night exploration and possible falls on the stairs.

So, yes, cribs can be great for some babies (like my first child), they may cause endless hysterical crying in others (like my second).

15. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Yes, I agree that a crib is a must for households with babies. It keeps the baby safe. When the baby does grow bigger though, it sometimes becomes a hazard because the baby would often attempt to climb over the railing, so look for a safe crib.

16. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I totally agree, Jasmin. A crib makes life more convenient for moms who have a lot of household chores to do. It ensures the baby stays in one place and away from objects that could potentially hurt him/her. It's especially helpful if one needs to go to the bathroom and no one could watch over the baby, haha.

17. Rmarsh1984

Rmarsh1984 New Member

There are other ways to keep a baby in one place, away from harmful things, besides tossing them in a crib. If they are mobile, hence the need to keep them in a safe area, you could use a playpen, baby gate off certain areas of the house, or even use a bouncy chair activity centre. My son screamed like a banshee the instant he was being lowered into his crib so I stopped using it and he slept in a futon mattress on the floor. We put a gate across his bedroom door so he couldn't go anywhere. We also had gates blocking off the stairs so he couldn't go exploring and get hurt. Babies are individuals, what works for some, doesn't work for others. Sometimes I think people forget that their babies are people too.