A new nanny for the toddler

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Alexandoy, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Don't let a new nanny handle the toddler in full at once. It takes time for a child to be comfortable with a stranger so give your child at least 2 days of familiarization with the new nanny. And although the nanny can do other work for the toddler like cleaning the mess or preparing the milk, don't let the nanny carry the toddler unless the toddler is the one who is requesting it. Don't forget that children have the tendency to be averse with strangers.

2. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

We hear of such gruesome stories about nannies. It was reported that this one would keep the child locked in and invite her boyfriend. They used the master bedroom. Then there are those who eat the food that is meant for the toddler. Endless stories, indeed.

3. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

That's not even the half of it. Some nannies go to the point of eating all the toddler's food. It is something that parents cannot seem to control nowadays. Some of these nannies keep toddlers silent by threatening them not to tell their parents. Surprisingly, it works. Recently, a friend of a friend's kid was narrating his story to us after his nanny was fired. He said that he could not have dared to speak against her when she was still working for his family. Apparently, she would actually threaten him with a knife and sometimes tell him that if he didn't keep his mouth shut, she would poison his food. She used to have total control of the remote control and most of the house electronics. It was a pathetic story to hear about a nanny of 5 years. Eventually, the parents started to doubt her and after keen observation, she was caught red-handed slapping the child. That is how she was fired. The parents actually threatened to call the cops on her.

4. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

I wish we had the means to have a nanny when our kids were younger. It was not really unmanagealbe or anything but some of the constant moving around would have been nice to leave to someone else.

5. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

The only solution is for the mother to give up her job and stay back until the child is old enough. She could take on jobs that could be handled at home.

6. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I was so lucky when my children were young because I always had family to look after them. I would not have felt comfortable leaving them with anyone else especially as my son could be difficult.

I did consider using one for my granddaughter when I first took on custody of her because I was still working but when I interviewed a woman I didn't really feel comfortable about leaving her with a stranger so I gave up work as it was near my retirement anyway. I've never regretted that decision when I read about some of the terrible things that happen to children when they are left with people outside the family although I'm sure most are fine. I didn't feel it was worth the risk.

iamawriter likes this.
  7. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

That is what all mothers should do. Stay home till the child starts going to school atleast. A simple life devoid of luxuries is what one could look for in that period.

littlewitch66 likes this.
  8. remnant

remnant Member

Its necessary for parents to source nannies after thorough background checks. This is not enough. They should cultivate and win the loyalty of the nannies by treating them fairly. Some paranoid parents have good as far as installing CCTV to monitor them.

9. Miches

Miches Active Member

I waited until my son was more than a year old before heading back to work. I couldn't entrust him to nannies from employment agencies so we had to fetch a third degree relative from the province. It helped that a nephew was living with us and he was 9 years older than my son and can tell on the nanny had she tried to misbehave. It's a good thing for those who have parents that can stay over and supervise without actually doing the dirty job. Nowadays, it's no longer considered paranoia to install cctv at homes. One can have a simple system installed like the one being offered by our internet/telephone provider.

Parents should be conscious of tell tale signs that something's going on. It's quite normal for a child to get attached to a caring nanny who stays with him for a day several times a week. Normally, I would be suspicious if this isn't the case.