Anti-Mosquite Liquid: Is It Safe?

Discussion in 'Babies' started by luri, Jun 18, 2017.

1. luri

luri Member

If mosquitoes are common in your place, how do you save babies from mosquito? Do you use anti-mosquito liquid, is it safe? Do you use mosquito net instead of anti-mosquito liquid?

2. kamai

kamai Active Member

When my daughter was a baby we used to use a mosquito net but now that she won't keep it around her anymore there is no use for it. I don't think the liquid is safe at all so I have never and won't use it on her. Instead I put mint leaves all over the house to keep them away when it's mosquito season like now.

3. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

Mosquitoes are common in our place even though you keep the surroundings clean. But I think using mosquito repellent on babies wouldn't be an option for me. Baby skin is so delicate and I wouldn't want the baby to have rashes because of the liquid that would be used. I would rather go for the mosquito net instead.

4. moondebi

moondebi Member

I apply mosquito repellent creams to children, especially when they're off to school. Here, mosquito borne diseases are on high during summer. At night we can use net, but when children are outside...there's no other option but to put repellent creams. However, I do not apply the cream directly on skin. Instead, dab the cream on the clothes they wear. The smell of the repellent cream keeps mosquitoes at bay.

5. tony

tony Active Member

I think mosquito net will be a better choice when deciding between use of anti mosquito liquid and the net. I worry about the effect such chemicals may have on the baby. I am quite careful with kind of liquid chemicals or gas that are brought close to babies, what adults could tolerate should in case of any adverse effect babies may not have that ability yet.

6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

We live in a tropical country is mosquitoes are my mortal enemy. But we cannot use insect repellent on the baby's skin for it may cause some irritation. For adults, we have the Off Lotion that is effective against mosquitoes. But for babies, our only defense is the mosquito net that we install on the crib (or in the bed). There is a portable mosquito net that we use when we bring the baby on a trip.

7. Zero

Zero Member

There haven't been any studies that prove that it's harmful to the skin, if you're still concerned then you can still a deodorant to help your children not feel the need to scratch.

8. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

You can use insect repellents containing DEET, picaridin, or IR3535 starting from two months old as long as the concentrations aren't too high. However, repellents containing oil of lemon eucalyptus shouldn't be used under age 3 because tests haven't been done under that age group.

9. luri

luri Member

So mosquito liquid and mosquito repellent are not good for the baby and children. We have a better choice, using a mosquito net, during the night, however, when not sleeping, it becomes difficult not to use repellent. When I looked for natural ways to drive away mosquito, I found that marigold leaves are good natural mosquito repellent.

kamai likes this.
  10. janemarie

janemarie Member

The safest thing to use against mosquitoes is Listermint! Or any kind of mouthwash but Listermint is brilliant. Mix it with some water and spray it all over the floor and window frames. They hate the smell and just disappear. If you are sitting outside as well, just spray it around on the ground where everyone is sitting and the mossies will go. They don't come back either for a few hours. It is easy, cheap and non-harmful to pets and children.

kaka135 and kamai like this.
  11. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

Interesting, I never knew that. The weather has been pretty rainy here in recent weeks so I haven't been outside or had the windows open as much, but I'm going to have to try that really soon!

janemarie likes this.
  12. janemarie

janemarie Member

It really works too! You will be amazed. Just spraying around the door and window frames seem to stop them coming into the house whereas spraying it on the ground allows you to sit comfortably outside without having your blood sucked out by a creepy crawly that you can't even feel till it's too late! :D I swear by Listermint mixed with a little water now, I always have it to deal with those pests.

13. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I will definitely give this a try. As I am staying in tropical country, there are mosquitoes throughout the whole year, and I just got up in the middle of the night because of many mosquito bites. I am glad my children are still sleeping well now. I do not like to apply the commercial mosquito repellent products on my baby's skin, so I usually "do nothing" about the mosquitoes. For my preschooler, I apply essential oil on her skin by following the mosquito repellent recipe, but it doesn't seem to work. So, I wonder if the mosquitoes in my country already got used to those mosquito repellent techniques since they are here all year long. But, I'll still give the Listermint a try, since I don't need to apply it to my baby's skin. Thanks for sharing that!

janemarie likes this.