Any emotional preparation before pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by millyn, Dec 15, 2018.

1. millyn

millyn New Member

i am a health practitioner, and i have been giving a lot of advices for pregnant women, but it is kind of difficult to fully give one when i myself has not yet experience such. i still believe there is a difference from what we are learning in books compared to real life experiences.

any ideas?

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

I think you are right that you need an actual experience in getting pregnant in order to completely give an honest to goodness advice. As they say, what we learn in the classroom are the theories but not the practical application. It's like a male doctor giving advice regarding the monthly period. Maybe that's the reason why old folks would tell first time pregnant women to consult a doctor who is married (which actually means has children) so they can give you a better diagnosis and suggestions.

3. tyche

tyche Active Member

I don't think you need any form of emotional preparation before getting pregnant, all you need is the right and responsible mentality in raising the kid up until they become independent.

4. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

I feel that while it certainly helps a doctor to relate to their patient and perhaps explain things in a more understandable way, it certainly isn't a requirement that the doctor or healthcare practitioner has gone through the same thing that the patient is experiencing in that moment.

After all, we wouldn't expect a doctor giving advice to treat cancer to actually have gone through that same cancer, although they may be able to understand things from the patient's point of view better if they had.

It doesn't prevent them from doing their job just as effectively.

Of course, with regards to working with any medical staff, what's important is that the information is correct, the judgement and advice is accurate, and the patient is comfortable and happy with what's being done! :emoji_slight_smile: