Becoming a Surrogate

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Rossy303, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Rossy303

Rossy303 New Member

Becoming a surrogate mother is a generous and noble thing. Well, some people are interested in becoming a surrogate to bless the less fortune women with the gift of parenthood. Others consider this noble act due to the financial benefits associated with it. It is important to visit a fertility institution to see you through your journey till the day you deliver your bundle of joy.

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I agree that being a surrogate is a noble thing because it is no joke to carry the baby in your womb for 9 months that later would be taken away from you. But I know of some surrogate mothers who enjoy doing that for the money that is paid to them. When we were having difficulty in getting pregnant (my wife's ovary were hyperactive) we were advised to go for a surrogate pregnancy. But we didn't pursue that idea.

3. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

The role of a surrogate mother is challenging. It takes the great courage to play a substitute biological mother and then give the baby after birth to his or her real parents.

I don't if those surrogates are doing that for money or what not. However, the point is to give the baby to be born and to see the world out of love, care and sacrifice of others.

4. tyche

tyche Active Member

It's a noble thing if you do it for free, and I salute those women, but if they do it because they will get paid, then it's not such a noble thing anymore.

5. Hova

Hova Active Member

You can't take care of the pregnancy without money. Also, you are going to need that money after you deliver the baby for a other things I'm sure.

6. Maestro

Maestro Member

In this economy, you can't afford not to get paid. You can't live like a hobo when you are pregnant. It is only fair that you at least get compensated for the nine months you will be carrying the baby.

7. Alexandoy

The latest known surrogate mother was the woman who gave birth to the twins of a former senator and lady broadcaster. Admittedly they are both past the age of child-bearing although they said they have the eggs and the sperm in the bank that they deposited when they were younger. So all they needed was the mother. They have twins and I think they are proud of it. For sure the surrogate mother was well paid since the father is very wealthy.

8. Hova

Hova Active Member

I actually get the point that @Rossy303 is trying to put across. While being a surrogate mother is the most honorable act that a human can do, some abuse this gift.

There women that get pregnant and then sell the baby like a commodity. To them, this is only but a business.

9. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

I see no shame in wanting to get paid for what is obviously an enormous service. It affects their entire life for quite a while, of course.

Surely that are some that are only after the money but from my limited experience, this isn't often the case. Surrogates are screened pretty intensly before they're allowed to work with clinics and most that I've talked to have signed up for emotional and pure-hearted reasons, often more so than just the cash.

10. Hova

Hova Active Member

I'm talking from experience too. I know a woman who has done this all her life, or at least all my life. She finds someone who is need of a child, they negotiate secretly, and then she gets pregnant. She then heads to the countryside and only comes back after she has had the baby.

After she gets paid, she comes back to the city and pretends like nothing ever happened. She has been doing this for quite a while and made a ton of money while at it. I just hope she does it for the right reasons, and not just for the money!

11. Alexandoy

An aunt has a friend who had been a surrogate mother twice. When she gets pregnant, the client brings her abroad where she spends the rest of her pregnancy and until birth so the baby would be an American citizen. Obviously the client is rich so the surrogate mother earned so much as she was able to buy a house for her other children.

12. Hova

Hova Active Member

At least her other children have a good life. I guess it doesn't hurt anyone if all children are safe and healthy.

13. Jason

Jason Member

This is interesting. But am sure sometime later in life, either the child or the mother will have a strong feeling to reconnect. I wonder what the agreement reads. I would love to read one of them.

14. Hova

Hova Active Member

It must be a really testing time when a surrogate hands the toddler over to the people who are paying her to carry the baby on their behalf. I don't know how they do it.

15. Jason

Jason Member

My concern too. This must be the hardest decision for a real mother to make. No matter how much she is being paid do do this. Am sure it will one day come to hound her.

16. Hova

Hova Active Member

I'm sure, most mothers would be left traumatized! Giving up your own child is not as easy as it sounds.

17. Jason

Jason Member

True. Plus i wonder if the truth must be heavily guarded from the child or s/he should be told. Because I think either way, it may hit a child hard when s/he realizes that s/he was traded for money at an age that s/he could choose all the direction of s/he wished. But since it's a legit business, I hope all these have been covered somehow. There is a huge psychological bit it.

18. Hova

Hova Active Member

There is a wise proverb that says, "whatever goes to the storehouse, must come out". So it doesn't really matter how long you keep it a secret, the truth will always come out.

19. Alexandoy

For legal adoption, there is a protection given by the government to the adoptive parents for the secrecy of the biological parents of the adopted child. But I understand that somehow the secret may come out sooner or later. The advice of the wise is for the adoptive parents to prepare the child on the revelation. It is best if the child is 13 years old so his mind would be equipped to understand the situation.