Best Age to Have A Baby

Discussion in 'Trying To Conceive' started by Jasmin Cottontail, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

Hi everyone! I was wondering what is the best age to have a baby or to become a parent? Is there actually a best age for that? Mid 20's? Late 20's? Early 30's? 40's? Like being physically, emotionally and mentally prepared in having a baby.

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Personally I'm not sure that there is a right or wrong age to have a baby or start a family. If you have the support around you then it doesn't matter if your in your late teen or early forties and it's entirely up to that couple when they choose to start a family. these days it seems that everyone as an opinion on what others should and shouldn't do, when really it should only be that couples decision and they have to do what's best for them and not be swayed by what society says is right or wrong.

3. tony

tony Active Member

I cannot exactly say the best age to have a baby but I certainly do think having a baby in 40's is not the best of time for a woman.. A woman should be physically prepared to have a baby and with a right emotion or mind frame before planning to have a baby. That said, maybe from late 20's to mild 30's will be a good time to have a baby

4. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

I think it's fine to have a child by the age of 25 if you're ready. At the age of 25, most people should have a stable job and a stable mind. I think people should stop having children around the close age of 50 because there are two things that I don't like about that. One is that parents that age aren't physically built to take care of children anymore and especially if it's about 14 years more. The second is that the child is going to be too young while their parents grow older. If you're 50 and you have a child, you'll already be 70 by the time he/she is 20. It's sad.

5. Greengrl

Greengrl New Member

I had my first child at age 20, and my youngest at age 30. I have a great relationship with my oldest daughter. She is about to turn 20, and she really is my best friend. However, I do believe I was too young to be a parent. I made so many mistakes, and we kind of grew up together. I got lucky as she is very mature and responsible. But, we went through a lot to get to that point.
    I have a good relationship with all of my children. But, I would say that my 3 youngest have more of a "parent", the older 2 always said I was their friend. I'm not sure if it was my age, or my experience that made a difference. Either way, we all make mistakes, we all live and learn. As long as you fill your childrens lives with plenty of love and support, you will be successful no matter the age.

6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

My second wife has a problem with her reproductive system. In our search to get her pregnant, I have learned that the best age to become a parent is from 20 to 25 years old for both the mother and father. That age bracket is the time when the body is strongest in terms of reproduction.

7. kokimboka

kokimboka New Member

I have to agree with you on that.According to my experience, when I had my first born I was 25 years old, It was a smooth pregnancy since I was young and strong. After my delivery my body just went back to normal like immediately. I had a challenge during my second pregnancy, first of all I was already over 30 years. My body reacted badly,I was really sick during the pregnancy and even after delivery I din't feel strong for quite sometime.

Alexandoy likes this.
  8. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

I would also love to have kids not far away from my age. I mean having a baby at 20 isn't bad, and I've known some people who had their first babies at 14, 16 and 19, and most of them are happy. It's nice to know that your children looks at you as their best friend because your children will feel really comfortable with you as well as they won't kept any secret from you :)

9. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I had an office mate before who got pregnant at age 40. Making matters worse, it was her first pregnancy. She had to resign from her job because the doctor had advised her to stay home for a complete rest. She was always feeling ill like the hot flushes or headache and some other symptoms that the doctor said was due to her late pregnancy. Her husband was forced to buy a car so the pregnant wife will be comfortable when they travel (for short trips only). It's a good thing that the baby came out normal.

10. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

I would say when two people are mentally, physically and financially ready to bear a child, they should go for it.

I would say late 20's to early 30's is probably the best period.

11. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

I am 36 and my wife is 31 and soon we will have baby. When we were married, my wife was 29 and I was 33. After we got married, we decided not to have a baby until we were mentally ready to become parents. More than your body age, you need to have mature mental capacity to have babies.

12. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

I don't know if there is a right age to have babies. You should be responsible enough to look after one and not too old that you won't see it grow up so that's quite a wide age range.

I was 30 and 36 when I had my children and although I had difficult pregnancies they were not age related problems. I have a great relationship with my second child even though back then I was considered to be an 'old' mum! These days it is different as more people are putting their career first and having children later.

I have read about a woman in her 70s who had a baby and although the child was healthy I don't know if I agree with it. I took on custody of my granddaughter in my fifties and although I have good health I find it very tiring and I know she feels different to her friends now she is older because they live with their mums and dads and she lives with me. Here is the story:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...an-in-her-70s-gives-birth-to-healthy-baby-boy.

13. Merlizy

Merlizy New Member

In most of your comments you mainly referring to the woman but pregnancy goes both ways. As a father to be you have to be ready for additional responsibilities, mother and kid. When the pregnancy come when you are not prepared financially, emotionally and mentally you will end up abandoning the people who are supposed to give your life a meaning. In my opinion its about being prepared.

14. Miches

Miches Active Member

Ideally, you will have to be emotionally, physically, mentally, and financially prepared to have a baby. Sometimes, however, while you may be physically ready to have a child, it may take time to achieve career or financial maturity and some couple do postpone pregnancy because of this. For women, however, the biological clock's ticking is more apparent and I would have to say that the best age is during her late 20's to early 30's. The late 30's is also fine if the woman is physically strong. Beyond this bracket, normal pregnancy and childbirth is still possible but carries more risks than usual for both the mother and the baby.

Elsa likes this.
  15. KloeRinz

KloeRinz Member

I don't think it has much to do with age. I believe that one should have financial preparation as well as a stable environment. After all, you want your baby to flourish. Just being born will not suffice. Overall, you can even have a baby before your 20s as long as you are stable.

Elsa likes this.
  16. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

The best time to have a baby solely depends on you. There is a reason that makes a specific period of time ideal for you to have a kid. It may be when you are financially stable and able to provide your child with everything they need, when you have a strong bond with your spouse in order to give the child a stable home and this most likely happens when you are married. Biologically, a woman's time for conception is always ticking so the choices are sometimes limited on when to have a baby. In my opinion a woman should strive to have her first baby between the ages of 25 and 27. This is a great time to introduce your first child to the world and the age difference between you and your first child will make your bond stronger since it is not that large. For men I think any time is a great time as long as you are ready to take responsibility for your child and financially stable to support your family.

17. remnant

remnant Member

The best age to have a baby is late teenage to early twenties preferably before the age of 21yrs. The body is still developing but prepared for pregnancy and childbirth which means that post natal repair will be fast and the body will soon be back in shape. For instance, its easier to lose body fat and the muscles tone back more easily than at later ages.

18. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

I would say 20 to late 20s would be fine, but 20 would be better if you want to have 3 to 4 kids which you would really enjoy a lot since after 20 years, your firstborn would be 20 and you are just 40 years old.

Elsa likes this.
  19. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Babies born late have the risk of unheard of diseases such as autism. We have a case in our family. This couple got married well past their thirties and now have a child with autism. An idieal age would be between 28 to 32 for men and 24 to 28 for women.

20. Mika

Mika Active Member

I don't think there is a standard age for having a child but what I know is that a woman can conceive and give birth to a healthy child until her menopause. However, if a lady gives birth in her late forties than the only problem she might face is that she is in her late sixties by the time her offspring reaches twenty which in my view is not an ideal situation.

21. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

In my opinion, I would say that it varies based on one's cultural background and setting. There are some cultures that pushes for its people to marry early while it's exactly the opposite with some other ones.

But, if it comes to me, I would say that for the man, it would be more appropriate to get married between the age of 30-35 while for the lady, it's more appropriate to do so around the age of 20-25.

Although, the deciding factor in all these is the ability to take care of one's family, provide and cater for their needs. Once an individual can be be able to do this, then I definitely don't see anything that should be holding him back from getting married.

22. Kat

Kat New Member

Well, I know people a few years back had babies earlier in life. I do think times have changed, so not everyone will have a stable job or have their life together by 25. I think one should have them when they truly are ready and stable. Late 20's, 30's are perfectly fine. If you can manage a little earlier, that's fine too, it just depends on the person. Some people mentioned diseases associated with age. Risks are bigger as you get older, but keep in mind that statistics change and there are many factors. For example, I have a cousin who had her baby boy at 19 and he has autism. A certain age won't guarantee anything, again, it all depends on the person.

Elsa likes this.
  23. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I totally agree with you, @Miches. The age bracket you mentioned should have already made the husband and wife mature enough and financially stable to raise a family. The 20's would indeed be the best age because of lesser pregnancy risks, however, this is just about the time most women's careers are just taking off. The age between the late 20's to early 30's would seem to be very practical and still safe for a woman to be pregnant and give birth.

24. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Yes, you're also right @Kat. Younger doesn't mean safer. Although experts recommend women to get pregnant during their 20's. Below that age might also be risky because the body is still not fully developed to handle the pregnancy.

A niece of mine gave birth at 18 years of age - the baby was fine but the mother suffered a mild stroke of some sort which disfigured her face a bit. Thank God she got back to normal through therapy.

25. Natasha0717

Natasha0717 New Member

I would have to say maybe late 20's-early 30's.
    By this time. your body has been going through monthly cycles long enough to "regulate" themselves, and also because I just feel like this is the time in a woman's life when they are the healthiest and better-prepared to conceive and deliver a baby (or babies). In your teens and early 20's, I think your reproductive system is still getting used to the transition from girl-to-woman...and let's face it, this is the time best spent focusing on school, friends, and just plain old f-u-n in general. :) This is also the time to find your perfect mate, or at least begin searching for one. Once you hit your late-20's (and early 30's)...it's safe to say you're a little more prepared to start putting your party-days behind you, and you're still young and healthy enough to produce healthy babies. Plus, you're still young enough to have the energy to take care of them. Late 30's-early 40's...that's getting a little risky. A little more difficult to conceive, less energy, might start feeling a little too tired to keep up with the kiddies (especially newborns)...and you have to think about the health risks associated with having children in your older years. But still, many, many, healthy babies are born every day to women even in their mid-to-late 40's. ;) It's really all up to you. But if I would have decided to have children, I probably would have started around the age of 30.

26. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Having had children in my 20s and in my 30s, I have to say, it was easier (physically) on me in my 20s. I agree that life situations are probably a bit more stable for most people in their 30s and beyond. Still, there was a definite difference, even though it was just a few years.

These days, people have babies at all ages. Personally, I wouldn't want to do it beyond early 30s.

27. Rexy

Rexy Member

The ideal age would probably be 35-40. However, if you want to focus on your career, you can wait till you're 42-45. However, 35 is great as then you have spent time working for a while so it's perfect ;)

28. D Lee

D Lee New Member

Personally, I think the age bracket of 25-30 years is the best for reproduction. Most of you have given great opinions about this as well but it's because the body is usually in it's strengths during this time and the person is usually mature to take the responsibilities that comes up with parenthood that makes me think that this is the best age to have/plan getting a baby.

29. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

In my opinion, I think the best age to have a baby is between 25 and 40. However, this is not to say women above 40 should not try to have a baby. We just need to focus on the health aspects of having a baby too early in life or too late. If you are given a clean bill of health, there is no reason why you cant have a child at any age.

30. joey_2tep

joey_2tep New Member

I was 35 and my wife was 33 when we had our first baby. We just felt we were a little late to have baby and we were so afraid then that we were not gonna be able to have baby. Besides, our gynecologist always remind my wife to take extra care because she was a little bit late to have her first baby. So, I would say it is best for women to have baby on their mid 20's and for men i think age doesn't matter as long as they are capable and healthy as well.