Beware of wet tissue

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Alexandoy, Aug 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

I think it is commonly called Wipes which is a commercial tissue that is wet. It is very convenient to use when the baby would defecate since you do not need soap. But for the traditional caring of babies, the cleansing by soap and water is still the best. There are cases where the baby's skin gets irritated by the wet tissue.

2. tyche

tyche Active Member

I don't think I'm 100% clean with just using alcohol or alcogel, I must be washing my hands with soap and water and it should be diluted totally so that the "residues" are washed off. So I agree with you that soap and water are the best cleansers.

3. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Yes that wet tissue though may not clean 100% the dirt of the child for it's only temporary and it would be cleaned later with water and soap.

But for a mother who is a girl scout knows what she's going to bring always when they're away from home with her baby.

4. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

I agree with you since wet wipes contain alcohol and even some chemical preservatives. The baby's skin is very sensitive and the alcohol and preservatives may irritate and cause a great deal of discomfort to the baby and even might cause infections. So it is best to use only mild soap and warm water.

5. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

I think most mothers use it as an emergency measure specially if the baby needs attention in the night. They will surely be cleaned later with soap and water.

nangk08 likes this.
  6. nangk08

nangk08 Active Member

True...at least up until now only soap and water was used and I personally used wet wipes only when we are outside, either travelling or some place else other than home. Even at night, I used to get up and use soap and water. But nowadays I see young mothers not bothering much with wet wipes of soft cotton nappies but use only readymade stuff for everything.

7. Alexandoy

For us, soap and water is still the best because using any other means like alcohol or lotion will only irritate the skin of the baby. The only problem with soap and water is if you are not at home and there is no wash room nearby so you have to satisfy yourself in using the wet tissue temporarily until you find a washroom with soap and water.

8. Hova

Hova Active Member

I don't know that much about wet wipes, but I know they are more expensive compared to traditional soap with water. I believe the best solution is a simple soap, preferably one made from shea butter. I promise you won't have any regrets.

9. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

The life of young mothers is different from those of good old mothers There were no wet wipes then. They always got up at ghastly hours and changed the baby's nappies. Much water has flown under the bridge since then. Sad but true.

nangk08 likes this.
  10. Hova

Hova Active Member

if you have the money to spend on hand sanitizer, then go for it. But if you are a hand-to-mouth person, then soap and water is the best option.

11. Emma kwamboka

Emma kwamboka Member

I normally use wet wipes especially when we travel and there is no water available to use to wash the baby. I like the water process though. It is soft on the skin and does not irritate since I use a soap that has no chemicals. It's not nice the way people dispose of them and the pampers. We should learn a way to decompose them safely so that they don't harm us or the environment.

12. Jason

Jason Member

Interesting. I hadn't thought about it in that manner. But coming to think of it, the wet disinfectant on the wipes may surely react with the skin or cause irritation in some way. I totally agree with the line of thought that discourages excessive use of the wipes.

13. mildredtabitha

mildredtabitha Member

I think wet wipes are just ok it doesn't actually mean the baby is not going to be clean with soap and water.I mean you can always keep washing the baby every time the poo .you can wash you baby in the morning and in the evening before they go to bed and use wet wipes during the day.

Alexandoy likes this.
  14. Hova

Hova Active Member

I have to agree that wet wipes are really convenient, because they are small and you can take them with you anywhere.

15. Jason

Jason Member

Sure well said. It just needs personal moderation of the number of times on uses the wipes or soap and water. Coz excessive use of both is uncomfortable to yourself or the baby.

16. Alexandoy

The wet tissue is for convenience when you are not at home. But I still believe that soap and water is the best for cleansing the baby after doing a mess, you know that. If you do not agree then maybe you can try using wet tissue on yourself when you go to the toilet so you will know if it is just okay.

nangk08 likes this.
  17. Hova

Hova Active Member

There has been something bothering me since we started talking about wipes. What kind of liquid do they use to make them stay wet for that long?

18. Emma kwamboka

Emma kwamboka Member

I love how the US laws that require manufactures to state the ingredients used in manufacturing of the baby wipes though most of the ingredients remain undisclosed. I have never seen any discomfort or irritant on my daughter with whom I have used to wipe severally. Babies are fragile little creatures and as much as we cannot see the changes with our own eyes, these chemicals get absorbed into their bloodstreams making them vulnerable then we think. We need to be extra cautious when purchasing the products for toddlers.

I thin they are mad of polyester but some companies use cotton. I would advice on the cotton based one. Sounds like it has less side effects. These ingredients should be disclosed on labels for anyone purchasing them to know what they are getting themselves into. Some of these side effects are so severe. Apart from rushes the baby may swell and form blisters. I normally love the wipes fragrance free. The scented one does contain some form of perfume that may harm the child. All the best in purchasing the wet wipes!.

19. Hova

Hova Active Member

As a parent you ought to be careful not to buy something that may cause damage in the long run. So research is very important.