Breastfeeding and Babies Biting of Nipples

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Heatman, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

Breastfeeding is core of parenting act, as it's from the infant stage that parents starts taking care of their children by making sure that they are well. At this stage, these kids only depends solely on breast milk and it's paramount that they get well fed.

Now, it's very obvious that there are some stubborn infant babies if I'm allowed to put it that way. In some cases, at the process of feeding through breast milk some tend to have the habit of always biting the nipples from which they are fed. Some mothers find this very annoying and almost spank the child a little in order to show and teach them it's a wrong thing to do. Some when spanked small tend to cry but there are ones who doesn't feel like crying.

As a parent, how do you feel when breastfeeding your child and suddenly got bitten on the nipples? Do you spank the child to deter him or her from doing such again?

2. tyche

tyche Active Member

I never had a kid, but I think that it is but right that the child should be made aware that biting the nipples of their mother can be hurtful, so a little spank would do them good and will put them in their place.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Biting the nipple is one natural habit of a baby as it grows especially if the baby is not an infant anymore, he tends to be playful with the nipple. Even those bottle-fed babies do that because I remember my daughter who was bottle-fed. She had destroyed so many nipples by biting and it's all about boredom. Maybe that's the way the baby relieves the boredom he feels. With the mother's nipple, I understand that it is painful but never spank the baby. You can teach the baby not to bite by scolding but not by hitting.

4. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix Member

Babies are very alert,more alert than we care to notice.Have you noticed that babies start to bite mother's nipple right when their first four teeth grow?It is like they get curious what these new contraptions in their mouth are for.They exercise their teeth by playing with the nipple unaware that the mother experiences pain.By the time the child starts doing this,it should probably dawn on the mother that the baby is old enough to get weaned.The weaning process is approached differently by different mothers and that is what results to spanking as you have said.However,I do not believe spanking is the way to go.

When I was young my mother took an entirely different approach when weaning us.She applied a little pepper on her nipples and when we were hungry and wanted her milk we would feel the sting of the pepper and move away.That is how we were introduced to powdered milk and we grew up just fine.I think this method is better because the child will make the decision to stop breast feeding by himself/herself, of course with a little help from the clever mother.