Can too much sweets cause diabetes?

Discussion in 'Kids' started by Alexandoy, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

This is one topic discussed in one health forum that I attended years ago. The resource speaker is a pediatrician who said that giving the children too much sweets can lead to diabetes. When I asked the physician in the family, he said that diabetes is more of genetic which means no matter how you eat you cannot have it if it is not in your bloodline. So which is which?

2. Hova

Hova Member

Is too much candy a recipe for Diabetes? Now, isn't that a million dollar question. Personally, I don't think overindulging in candy can directly lead to diabetes. The family doctor is partially right about this. Nonetheless, too much sugar will definitely lead to rapid weight gain, and we all know that is a recipe for diabetes!

3. tyche

tyche Active Member

I read that too much sugar can cause diabetes because it can lead to weight gain which can cause it. So it's best to avoid eating too much sugar in the first place.

4. Hova

Hova Member

The secret is, moderation. Make sure you have exact appointed times where your kids will get treats. I know as parents, having some yummy goodies around the house helps in rewarding good deeds.

Begin this practice when they are still young and that way you get to instill discipline and also keep your kids healthy. I believe diabetes can be avoided as long as parents adhere to the set of rules they have put in place when it comes to sugary goodies.

5. Jason

Jason Member

Yes and No.
    Yes because if your sugar levels are problematic, the additional sugar from sweets can cause worsening of the situation.

No, because your body may actually do with some extra energy. Thus the sugar will quickly be broken down and you will be just fine.