Choosing Baby Names

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by thisnthat, Apr 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Do (or did) you make long lists of baby names to choose from? Do you write the name you like best over and over? I remember with my first baby, writing the name I liked, adding different middle names, and then finally the last name. I'd write it to see how it looked, say it over and over to see how it sounded.

Naming baby can be a lot of fun, especially if you find sites or baby name books that give the definitions of names too.

Did you choose based on definitions or other meanings, or did you just like the way the name sounded?

2. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

I haven't done this yet myself so I'm very interested in hearing other people's responses. I think we had a similar thread going before and I found it very interesting to hear how different cultures choose names differently.

I do have names in my head I like and could see myself using but when the time comes I'll really have to give it a bit more thought!

3. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

Yes, I agree that naming baby is an interesting and meaningful process. My husband and I just came up with some names we like, it can be the meaning of the character, but the sound of it is important too. We are Chinese, so the last name follows the dad's, and there are another two characters in our first name. For my eldest son, we confirmed with the second character first, as we like the meaning and also how it is written, and pronounced as well. Then almost before my son was born, we picked another character, and that's his name. As for my youngest son, we use the same "first character" as the brother, hence we only chose the last character. Many Chinese use the same "first character" in their first name for the kids.

For my daughter, both my husband and I suddenly thought of the Buddhist Masters, and decided to use one of their names. :)

thisnthat likes this.
  4. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I am always curious too, @James McAllister. It was different for me with each child, but I'm always interested in learning how other people go about it. Some like popular names. Some like names that really stand out. Some like to honor a relative. Others may just like the sound of the name, or use the same first initial for each child or something. My mother and all of her sisters have the same initials for their first and middle names, which are also the same as their father's initials. I've seen other families do similar as well.

@kaka135 Thanks for sharing. It sounds like an interesting process. It also sounds like the names have meaning. I think that's nice.

5. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Giving baby name is the most excited on the part of the parents. I remember when I was courting a high schoolmate. I was dreaming that someday if we would become a couple or married I kept on targeting names from the list of names on the end of the movie show for they're unique.

But it wasn't realized. When we actually got married and she bore our 6 children, we named them based on the combination of our first letter of our first name.

6. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

This kind of difficulty I never had because I always said that when I had a son, my wife would choose the name and if it was a daughter I would choose the name. Well, I'm the father of a girl and I easily chose her name, "Nicole" (because I'm Nicole Kidman's fan :)).

My wife didn't make any kind of objection, but if it was for her the name of our daughter would be "Rae" (Nicole is so much better :cool:).

7. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

A good consultation within the husband and the wife would do good. Since both of them had enjoyed and participated in making the baby, therefore, it would be justified for a baby to have his name collaborated with his parents.

On the other hand, I have contributed a name for my granddaughter. When she was born at the birthing clinic here in our place, I visited her and I learned from her parents that she had already a name, Sophie Ashley. Sophie is given by her mother. Ashley is contributed by her father whom it is his favorite star name. And I added Lory in remembrance of our late mother, Lorenza. Then the child gets her complete name as Sophie Ashley Lory.

Shine_Spirit likes this.
  8. tony

tony Active Member

When choosing a baby name, the circumstances of things at the period of birth may be looked at. As a Christian in addition to giving my baby native names I like to also go to the Bible and look for a great name which I believe will befitting to the child. I believe names should be chosen prayerfully for children, it is thought names do have a way of impacting on people's lives.

thisnthat likes this.
  9. tyche

tyche Active Member

I don't have kids yet, but I think my parents never really had to decide hard in choosing our names, because they seem to just decide on 2 choices then picking the better sounding one in their opinion. I don't like my name at all, since it sounds a bit old school, if you know what I mean.

10. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Did other family members also try to weigh in when you were choosing a name for your baby? My in laws had names all picked out. I told my husband that since I was having the baby, I would be naming the baby. I let him weigh in, of course. I did not choose the name that the others insisted on. I did compromise, allowing the first name they wanted go as the middle name, but I chose the first name. That was my 3rd child. They were less insistent the next time.

11. Miches

Miches Active Member

When I was still a teenager, I wanted to name my child after a popular politician in my country who has a Spanish sounding double name. I can feel the name rolling in my tongue. When I got pregnant, however, I became a fan of an American athlete and I've decided to take his full name as my child's first name. When I gave birth, I realized that there were three other babies in the hospital who were named after the same athlete. I had no in-laws (deceased) and my mother was already dead by the time I gave birth so there were no outside influences when it came to naming my son. His father did not want to have a junior so his name has to be 'unique'.

12. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

Yes, a similar thread here had interesting responses.

One of the a good way is to ask for suggestions from others too. You may be suprised to find that people may come up with names that you may fall in love with the way they sound and mean.

To me, meaning and the siund of the name is as important as the length of the name. I like short and unique names.