Conceiving In The Virus Age

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by doursay, Apr 15, 2020.

1. doursay

doursay Member

Am I the only one who thinks it might be a bad idea to conceive right now? There are so many unknowns concerning COVID 19, I dont think I would chance it if I were a woman.

What do you think?

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

This question was asked in one tv news program. The program host said that it is better to avoid pregnancy for now because of the risk of being contaminated. But the doctor who was interviewed said that as long as the parents are healthy, maybe to mean they are free of the virus, then there is no problem. But my take is in going for the so called pre-natal checkup. They need to go to the hospital or clinic which may expose them to the risk.

3. Jason

Jason Member

It sure is a very sensitive time for getting a baby. Considering the handling capacity of maternity facilities and the complication of travelling for routine clinical check ups. But am afraid, am seeing an increase In this lockdown period.

4. tyche

tyche Active Member

I think it would be a bad idea to conceive in this day and age of Covid-19 threat. The couples should make sure that when they have sex, it will not bear fruit.

5. Jason

Jason Member

:) The way you put it makes it sound funny. But it is hard to "make sure it doesn't bear fruits". We all ignore/hate contraceptives!

6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

Even getting a bit sick that needs to consult a doctor is already scary much more when you are going to the hospital or clinic for the pre-natal checkup, there is the risk of exposure to the potential presence of virus. Right now any public place is suspect of the corona virus that we cannot trust any person that we do not know very well.

7. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

That's exactly what I'm saying. I think it depends on the country you're in, I'm from the Philippines and we've got a pregnant family member. Our city has the most number of covid infected persons and were on a citywide lockdown since most of the hospitals have covid patients there's no safe way to visit a doctor. Being pregnant in this time is really not a good choice.

8. Jason

Jason Member

Quite unfortunate for you guys. For sure I read abou the situation there. Seems things are very complicated for you guys. How about having a health care giver in the various communities. Atleast a health unit not far from someone's home or village? Because either way, the women need routine clinical visits.

Kakashi2020 likes this.
  9. Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020 Member

I appreciate your concern Jason and that should really be the case but the problem is our health workers are spread to thin. Most health workers are either in the hospitals caring for covid patients and there are confirmed reports that thousands of health workers, like doctors, nurses, nursing aides and hospital staff have been diagnosed to be infected with the covid virus also. Hospitals here in the Philippines are jam packed and are not taking in any more patients.

10. Jason

Jason Member

This means that things are just moving from Bad to worse. Many countries are not sure of what to do. It is like every country is doing a trial and error method. Since it's a Novel virus, nobody has the right or required approach.

11. doursay

doursay Member

I am pretty much on that train of though as well. In a densely populated city like Manilla, Tokyo or New York City I would think twice. But in a small town in a rural area where outsiders typically don't go, im not seeing a problem.

Each person has to make their own choice here. The health and welfare of the unborn child obviously comes first, but the woman knows just how healthy she is and how susceptable she is to the virus.

12. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

Naturally it's better to be conscious about it and prepared than to be sorry later.

Well, if it has already taken place and the mother has conceived, I think it's more likely to be worried about if the father and mother are healthy.

In fact, there are news that some mothers have already given birth to a healthy baby.

13. Hova

Hova Active Member

There are those who got pregnant way before Covid-19 became a big deal. Those in this category have no choice but to go ahead with their pregnancy. But I wouldn't recommend trying to get pregnant amidst the pandemic. It seems kind of risky, imo.