Do people try to guess if your baby is a boy or girl?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by thisnthat, Dec 6, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

When I was pregnant with each of my kids, people always tried to guess if I was having a boy or a girl. Some of them even insisted they knew "for sure," by the way I carried. Well, the ones who claimed I was having a boy were all wrong. I had four girls, ha ha.

Do/did people do this to you? If it happened in the past, did anyone guess correctly?

2. Miches

Miches Active Member

That happened to me, too. They say that I'll be having a boy since there were black patches on my neck and chest, that I don't look as good (or I'm at my ugliest self), and that my tummy is shaped in a certain way. Well, they were right! I did have a boy which is what I really wanted because there were three girls in my family and only one boy. I don't believe in that stuff but I don't want to offend the oldies so I just allowed them to say whatever they want.

thisnthat likes this.
  3. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

When my aunt was pregnant, people were trying to guess all the time as well. Many told her that it was most likely a girl because she had a girl first then a boy. People assumed that was the pattern so they kept telling her that it will be a girl. Nine months later, a girl was definitely born and everyone bragged about how they were correct. Sometimes it's annoying because she didn't care about which gender it was. She only cared about its health.

thisnthat likes this.
  4. Binu

Binu Member

I am four months pregnant and people are already making guess about the gender of my baby. Interestingly, when I share my dream some people try to interpret my dream as sign of baby boy. Once I dreamed about hitting a girl (a girl I have never seen), and my husband interpreted that I am carrying a baby (because I was hitting a girl in my dream).

5. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

This is quite common anywhere in the world. Naturally people are curious and use age tested approaches to guess.

It should be taken in good spirit as it is fun to know what and how people try and guess.

6. kamai

kamai Active Member

Most definately everyone tried to guess my babies gender and most were correct. Most of them said it was going to be a girl and they beat me since I thought she was going to be a boy for some reason. It's not that I really wanted a boy but that was the feeling I got. I would have been so happy either way as long as my baby was healthy, and sure enough she is.

thisnthat likes this.
  7. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

I remember that most of my wife's friends are trying to guess on what sex should my wife to give birth. They know how to determine it by the size of the stomach, by the shape of the hips, by the likes and dislikes, and everything. Some of them had made it but the rest, I think, are just doing that for the sake of fun or to make my wife glad, happy and excited.

8. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I've always heard that you're "ugly" if you're having a girl, because you're giving them all your beauty. All these ideas for determining the sex are fun and interesting to me. There are so many different ways that people use.

Congratulations! I hope you and your baby will be healthy and happy. :)

Oh, for sure. It's all in good fun. I don't think many of the approaches really work, but it's always fun to guess.

9. TheApprentice

TheApprentice New Member

Oh yes - people did this to me ALL THE TIME.

And of course yes I even had people telling me FOR SURE that they knew what I was having.

Hocus pocus.

10. firstcry

firstcry Active Member

Yeah, there use to be a lot of guess work around pregnancy time. In our country prenatal sex discernment is a criminal offense and I think there is no need for that too. Nowadays world is moving towards gender equality and both male and female children have equal opportunities in the world.

But it is interesting to note that people say if the lady is really suffering from pregnancy related issues it is more likely to be a male child. Male child is said to be more active than female child in the womb. Another one is if the belly is in exact round shape there is high chance of a female child.

11. Mika

Mika Active Member

Guessing sex of coming child is a common practice in my country especially when the pregnant woman meets another woman. The other woman will give her a glance and will say something like an expert determining the sex of unborn baby like an ultrasound machine giving every possible detail of her assumption. However, there is no fixed symptoms on a woman's body that would determine the sex of an unborn.

12. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

People often say that they can guess whether the baby in the womb is a boy or a girl depending on the mother's behavior while pregnant, including her facial features. Some say that when a mother looks somewhat masculine in her facial features, then most likely the baby is a boy. However, when the pregnant mom is blooming and looking prettier, then it must be a girl. I don't know if it's true or if they have any basis about that but I somehow find it interesting :)

firstcry likes this.
  13. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

My wife is pregnant. We could have asked the gender of the baby when my wife was going through Ultra Sonogram, however, we decided to keep it mystery until the baby takes birth. However, our friends and families are already curious to know whether the baby is boy or a girl. They try to guess the gender by observing my wife and interpreting her dreams.

14. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

When I was pregnant my family had me sit in a chair and did the needle and thread test on me. If it swung back and forth it was a boy, and if it swung in a circular motion it was supposed to be a girl.:)

Well needless to say their test was true. The needle and thread swung back and forth which meant I was having a boy. Low and behold my handsome baby boy was born several months later 7lbs. & 13ozs. :) My family and I still do this test today if anyone conceives in our family..;)

15. tony

tony Active Member

Well people may try to guess out of curiosity. I wonder to what extent such guesses could come true. Are there distinctive features to watch out for in a pregnancy to know whether it's a boy or a girl. If there are features or manifestations to note in guessing the sex of a baby I personally would be interested to know.

16. faith

faith Member

In my personal experience with having both, people have tried to do this and they always will. They say it's just human nature. People are very, very curious beings....

17. Mika

Mika Active Member

As matter of fact a simple ultrasound 8 weeks after conception gives you a perfect idea but as it is banned in my country people willing to know about gender of their baby go for this test on false grounds. Although the rules are strict but they manage to know it. I would prefer that parents should not insist to determine on sex test unless it is necessary. However in some countries there is regular ultrasound test which lets parents and doctors know the exact condition of babies and doctors tell parents about sex of the baby in the first test itself..

18. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

People certainly did this to me and my wife, and I think even though looking back my wife insists that she loved being pregnant, one of the things she hated was the amount of attention she got from other people, and in particular people trying to guess the sex of the baby. Even after we DID find out what we was having people still tried to insist that we was wrong and that they knew best. We said we had been told it was a boy, and there was always one who said "well I wouldn't be too sure". We just turned and said well we can be because we've seen the scans and been told for definite that we're having a boy!