Do you make your own baby food?

Discussion in 'Babies' started by biege, Nov 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. biege

biege New Member

I remembered years back that I puree fruits for my siblings when they were still babies instead of buying the expensive Gerber purees. I find it easy to do, you can even make one even without a blender or a pureeing machine. What I like to do most would be the banana, apple puree combination. So, do you also do this?

to7update likes this.
  2. remnant

remnant Member

Actually, most mother's make their own baby food. This enables them to introduce them to other foods better during the process of weaning as well as vary the kid's nutrient uptake with the added benefit of saving on costs. One food that doesn't escape the radar of most mothers is Cerellac which majority of us were fed on during our infancy.

Nocturnal Writer likes this.
  3. kamai

kamai Active Member

I did make my own baby food it is not only cheaper but healthier for babies, natural is always the best way to go. All I did was smash vegetables or fruit in a fine consistancy. My daughter loved her first smashed potato and banana, her reaction was so cute.

4. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

Yes I agree with @remnant. I've known a lot of moms who make their own baby food. Not only you will save a lot but it is healthier and recommended since you will be feeding your baby real fruit and veggies instead of buying them ready made puree in a jar in which you don't know all the ingredient that was mixed in there. And since it's for our babies, we have to make sure that everything that we give them are safe and healthy.

5. kokimboka

kokimboka New Member

I prefer making food for my babies.It is healthier and cheaper.At least you are sure the food you are making for the baby,doesn't have any chemicals in it like preservatives. When my baby was 6 months old I used to cook separate food for him, But he totally refused to eat it and would grab my food and eat it. So I decided,since he din't want his mashy food, he was going to eat what the rest of the family was having.

6. tony

tony Active Member

I was at the market with a friend whose wife gave birth newly, he wanted to buy some corn home for his wife to ferment make 'corn pap' from it for food for their baby. I was surprised at first and asked why are you not buying already fermented corn pap. He just told me already prepared food could be adulterated and that if you prepare your baby food yourself you will be very sure of the ingredients your child is consuming.

7. TheKnight

TheKnight Active Member

All that was fed to my parent's baby and the babies I've taken care of was pure fruit and soft vegetables. They simply used a spoon to scrape a banana, apple, pear or any type of fruit that can be scraped out. For foods such as corn, all they did was mash it with a spoon so that it would become soft.

I've learned that Gerber has a lot of sugar too. Homemade is better.

8. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

When my daughter was born, I was not a hands-on father because I was scared to handle a fragile baby. But when she was nearing 1 year old, that's when I started watching her closely. I remember the usual food given to her was boiled potato that is dissolved in beef broth. Every week, my wife would cook boiled beef for our food and the broth (we call it beef soup) would serve as the base for the potato. And sometimes it is sweet potato. Old folks said that it is the best food substitute for mother's milk. I also remember buying papaya and very ripe banana that my wife would crush to feed our baby. She would always say that it is better than Gerber (no offense meant).

9. moondebi

moondebi Member

Yes, starting from making the fine dust of a variety of food grains to fruit juice... I prepared everything at home. During my first born though I used to buy outside staples due to lack of experience and promotional gimmick.
    At home when we prepare a baby food, we take care of both health and hygiene. These could be missing in packaged food. Moreover, home made foods are more pocket friendly which makes it a better choice as well.

10. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

The best and tasty baby food are prepared at home. The ready made stuff aren't always too tasty.

Not only it is cost effective, hygienic and preservative free but it is also easy for training the child to regular food. It also gives an opportunity for variations.

Things like cerelac are still okay to buy but other things are best prepared at home.

11. biege

biege New Member

Do you guys find it fun to make the baby food your own? For me it is because you're learning something not being taught by your teachers in school and you are enjoying sharing this activity and your recipes to other parent as well. :D

12. janemarie

janemarie Member

It is much better to make your own baby food. For starters, I think that breast milk is best for a newborn. Then liquidised fresh food is the best way to go forward. I was always afraid that bought baby food would contain chemicals or additives, or extra sugar that I wouldn't want to feed my babies. It doesn't take long to prepare fresh food at home and is much more healthy.

13. majid

majid New Member

My son likes milk so much. He used to sleep quickly after milk feeding. Still, every night he drinks milk. In general, I think it is OK but I do not know whether it is because of milk or responding to his addaptation. I could not find a scientifc paper confiming this. I asked my friends and they did not report the same experience. However It can be an individual experience.

14. firstcry

firstcry Active Member

I think nowadays almost all baby foods are available ready made. But I am quite skeptical about their quality and we never know what they put into them to enhance taste. To make a particular brand popular they may add taste enhancers too.

We never buy any baby foods from market. We prepare them at home like powdered banana, ragi or other whole grains. There is no need of an outside food if you can make it at home and it is the healthiest way. Homemade food is always nutritious and out of danger especially for kids.

15. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

When I will have my baby, my mother will make him/her baby food. It is a tradition in the family that that baby food is always prepared by mothers. When my sister delivered, my mother prepared baby food for her daughter's child and when my wife will deliver baby, mother will prepare baby food for her son's child.

16. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Active Member

This is correct and I was one of those who could bear witness that mothers are very resourceful to provide the foods essentially needed by their babies. My wife is very resource on this one. Our children had grown up by the homemade baby food prepared by my wife.

17. to7update

to7update Active Member

Great thread @biege! :) I actually recall the first soup I've ever made to my older kid. We were totally inexperienced so we were unaware of the quantities we should put in. So we ended up putting way to much onion and carrot so lol, the kid spit it all out. As soon as we tasted the soup we realized why... :D

18. Binu

Binu Member

Time and again we hear a lot of controversies about baby food products. Sometimes we even hear that a certain baby food contain cancer causing substances. In the light of these controversies, we should not risk the health of our child. For at least three months, a baby should be fed mother's milk only. If the nursing mother breasts are dry, she should eat food that produces more milk. After three months, you should prepare your own baby food.

19. to7update

to7update Active Member

That is a fact @Binu, but at the same time we know there are reliable brands and we can trust on those. I do think that home-made food cannot be compared with anything we buy, so nothing like cooking for our baby, in that way we know exactly what we are feeding him or her.

20. tony

tony Active Member

You are correct I can remembe I have seen at least in the news cases of baby food products that turned out harmful to the children's health. This is more reason why self made food for the baby should be preferred. No unnecessary additives.

21. to7update

to7update Active Member

That is something common to all the food industry. They try to maximize their profits at the expenses of the quality of the food they produce. That is why the regulators play such an important role. I'd go further, government should have stricter laws in what concerns food production.

22. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

Aside from it being fun, it is way healthier than feeding commercialized baby food. In my point of view, doing so would at least give you assurance on what food your baby is taking. Baby food that are found in stores obviously have chemicals in them which I think isn't safe for babies.

23. FirstSpringFlower

FirstSpringFlower New Member

I really enjoy making food for my baby on my own. Peel and pit as needed, then puree in a blender, grinder or food mill, add some liquid to get the desired consistency and so on and so forth... I like cooking in general, so baby food is not an exception. Moreover, there are so many devices that can help you with cooking. Even a simple rotary cheese grater (like in this list: https://www.justinscafe.com/best-rotary-cheese-grater/) can make your life easier.

24. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

When my youngest sister was a baby, I remember my mother mashing the potato with the broth of the beef. That is one baby food that she said is nutritious and better than Gerber. Another is the mixing of fresh fruit, particularly banana, in the oat meal. Commercial baby food is expensive and ordinary families have to make their own baby food.

25. tyche

tyche Active Member

No, I haven't done that yet, but it's a good alternative to Gerber. You could save money just by doing that and it seems to be more healthy too.

26. Jason

Jason Member

Good idea. I have been buying off the shelf all the time. And with this lockdown, things are becoming expensive. Maybe I should borrow this ideas. I will try it out this coming week.

27. Hova

Hova Member

I think I will recommend this recipe to my sister. She is always looking to switch her baby's diet. The potatoes and beef broth sounds very nutritious.

Jason likes this.