Drinking and Smoking While Pregnant

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Jason76, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76 Active Member

Note, this title sounds a bit darkly comical, but really the question I'm asking is, "How many mothers are doing this mildly or seriously and what is the effect on the newborns?". Note, where I live, I'm quite sure a lot of women are smoking while pregnant - at the least - and of course, this would wreck havoc on the future of the children, causing more learning disabilities and cost by the state.

Oh, by the way, how many dads are creating 2nd hand smoke around the moms? That could be just as bad.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Active Member

:(With a lot of pregnancies unplanned these days, I'm sure women are smoking and drinking not even knowing there is a baby in their womb yet. I read an article before, that stated, most women early on have had questions about smoking and drinking during early pregnancy due to the fact they were doing this and not knowing they were pregnant, and wanted to know if it was okay.

Well it stated if it were before 15 weeks the baby would be unharmed. After that the mother needs to kick the habit or the baby could have premature birth weight, brain damage, SIDS, respiratory diseases, and the mother could even have a miscarriage. As soon as a women finds out she's pregnant these habits should stop. Whatever she is ingesting it's going straight down to that little baby. Secondhand smoke is just as bad for the baby, dads or guests should smoke outside.:)

3. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

@AngelaMc hit the mark. Many women don't realize they are pregnant immediately and thus may continue bad habits. Once they find out they are expecting, obviously it's best to quit such things as well as any drugs including OTC and look into potentially needed changes for prescription medications.

Many things go straight to the baby, so it's essential that moms to be take care. Even some foods can be unhealthy for growing babies, so a proper and nutritious diet is also important. Sugar and salt can be almost as damaging as some drugs when indulged in to extremes.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    harijobs and AngelaMc like this.
  4. luri

luri Member

Men and women should never smoke, and it the woman has smoking and drinking habit she should strictly prohibit smoking and drinking during nine months. Even after the delivery of the baby, the nursing mother should not smoke or drink. What ever the mother eats and drinks, it goes into the body of the baby through milk, therefore, nursing mother should be very careful about what they eat and drink.

Elsa, thisnthat and AngelaMc like this.
  5. Decentlady

Decentlady Active Member

The problem with smoking during pregnancy or otherwise is that the complications are a matter of a chance and therefore most smokers think that if Mrs. A had a healthy baby despite heavy smoking during pregnancy why should I quit?

Smoking and alcohol are both toxins for the fetus. The resultant complications are not worth risking the pregnancy in my opinion. If you know you can't stop smoking or drinking during pregnancy it is better not to conceive.

Having a child is a priviledge but having a healthy child is self efforts. Think before harming another soul.

Elsa and AngelaMc like this.
  6. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I see your point, @Decentlady, but in my best guess, more babies are unplanned than planned. It's just my opinion of course, since I didn't look up any statistics. I wasn't planned, and I know a lot of others who were not nor were their children. A lot of babies are happy surprises, so it's kind of hard to just say "better not to conceive." In a perfect world sure, but this one isn't. Some people even get pregnant while using birth control.

I think what matters most is what one does once they find out they are pregnant.

7. Zero

Zero Member

Fortunately in this day and age, technology and science have evolved in a significant matter which made it possible to determine which habits or acts can effect babies. As for smoking and drinking there is no reason for anyone not to know there are serious effects on the baby.

Elsa and thisnthat like this.
  8. tony

tony Active Member

In all ramifications I strongly think smoking is doing a lot of harm to developing fetus and even to the pregnant mother. The child on the short and long run in life may suffer from serious health problems which can better be described by the medical practitioners. For the well being of the innocent child pregnant mothers should be compelled to take a break from smoking during the pregnancy periods my view.

9. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Well-Known Member

In the olden days, I saw a cousin who is pregnant and is smoking. I did not say a word because she is older than me and I would seem to be presumptuous or disrespectful. But I already have an idea that smoking is not good for the baby. I used to smoke and I was a smoker at the time but I don't condone such acts that would affect the health of other people. Fortunately the baby was born with no defects.

10. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

You're so right, @Zero. I'm sure most people know smoking and drinking have ill effects. As @thisnthat said, what a woman does after she finds out she's pregnant is important. If a woman loves her child, she would do everything to keep him/her safe from harm. Unfortunately, some just don't care and their babies eventually suffer.

11. harijobs

harijobs Member

Like @AngelaMc said many women continues this habit not being aware of the fact that they are pregnant and once they come to know that they are pregnant it is better to stop smoking and drinking atleaset for a while. Recently I studied in a article which stated that women who have the habit of smoking and drinking passes on this habit to her child and chances are this becoming a addiction to that child when they grow up. I was shocked reading that. So, it is better to stop this habit for a while and family members should also be supportive and if anybody else has this habit, they can have that when they are not around the pregnant women.

12. janemarie

janemarie Member

Smoking while pregnant can make the baby small. Even if you are trying to get pregnant, smoking can make the eggs small so you have a small baby. In some cases, the baby can die before it has gone full term as drinking alcohol can kill unborn babies. It's best not to drink or smoke if you are trying for a baby. Once you are pregnant it's best not to drink at all.

13. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

Smoking and drinking before you get pregnant and not knowing that you are pregnant can be acceptable, in most cases. But when you already know that you're carrying another life inside you and you still continue with your bad habits, I think that's a different story. I really hate those people that doesn't care about their babies and the life their carrying inside them. I sometimes wonder why some people that does not deserve to be a parent becomes one while other people who deserves to have babies struggles to conceive :(

Elsa likes this.
  14. tyche

tyche Active Member

Well if the mom-to-be is unwittingly doing it and she is unaware that she is already pregnant then that is still acceptable. But once she does it intentionally, then you know it's either she wants to kill the baby indirectly or she simply doesn't care whether her smoking harms her kid or not and she still gives in to her nicotine cravings.

15. Mika

Mika Active Member

Actually not many women drink or smoke in my home country so I am not much concerned about this particular problem but it's a common habit in western countries where women are used to smoking and drinking. I see it everyday that almost equal number of women smoke or drink as their male counterparts. However the another side of the story is that I have never seen a pregnant woman doing that. Maybe they take special care to not to smoke or drink during pregnancy time.

16. Kat

Kat New Member

Smoking and drinking are not good habits for anyone. However, it is even more dangerous for pregnant women. I agree with what's been said. As soon as the mom find out she's expecting, these bad habits should stop. The same should go for the father, smoking around a pregnant woman is just as bad. It's the best thing to do for the baby.

17. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

If you know that you are pregnant yet you still smoke then you have a big problem. I had a friend in high school who had a sister who was pregnant. She and her husband already know they were having a baby but still they didn't quit smoking, not to mention they were both on crystal meth. Luckily the baby boy was born without any health issues.

18. janemarie

janemarie Member

Babies can be lucky and smoking does not affect them at birth. I think more should be done though to encourage mothers not to smoke when they are pregnant. The doctors at least should inform them of the dangers and it could be followed up at the clinic. It wouldn't hurt the nurse to ask each time, are you smoking? Then tell them that they should give up for the sake of the baby. If more mothers are told, more will stop.

19. amitkokiladitya

amitkokiladitya Active Member

I don't believe that smoking and drinking do any good to human body. They are just unhealthy habits which people adopt for unjustified fun. The harmful effects of both are lethal for the human body and the risk increases manifolds on foetal life. Parents must act wisely because their negligence and casualty can make them pay a heavy price in the future. No one has the right to play with the life of the unborn.

20. Elsa

I feel you, @Jasmin Cottontail. Why indeed? Add to this the fact about parents who maltreat/abuse their kids. They don't deserve any kids at all.

Jasmin Cottontail likes this.
  21. Bani

Bani New Member

It's so unfortunate that nowadays people tend to give in to peer pressure while not taking into consideration that their health may be at risk. Drinking and smoking while pregnant exposes the baby to so much harm as his or her body can't process for instance alcohol the way an adult can. So please, to avoid premature birth or giving birth to a child with deformities quit smoking and drinking alcohol while pregnant.

22. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

True. I know it's not right but I sometimes wonder and question why these kind of people were blessed with kids wherein they aren't deserving to have one? While there are tons of couple who are willing to do everything just to have kids, and are deserving but they struggle to have one. A bit unfair huh? :(

23. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

It is great that we have come this far and realized the dangers associated, but it is still strange to see it, and yes it does happen. I am pretty sure my mother smoked when she had me, but these days I doubt it would have even crossed her mind.

24. kaka135

kaka135 Active Member

I personally think a pregnant lady shouldn't smoke and drink alcohol though it's personal preference, it can be badly harmful to the baby. I also try to avoid the place whenever anyone is smoking, as second hand smoke is as bad or can be worse too. It's really sad to see some people do not really take good care of the baby in the womb, as still continue to do things that can harm the baby.

25. kamai

kamai Active Member

I have seen this all around and it saddens and makes me mad when parents are still doing it even though they know about the risks. I have had some people tell me that a baby will come out sick whether or not one takes care of themselves or not and it's all about what their destinies are, this really makes me mad to think of how selfish the parents are and make up such a stupid excuse. One must always take care of themselves and their babies especially when pregnant with them.

Elsa likes this.
  26. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

Smoking and drinking must not be practiced during pregnancy and even post partum, eapecially if you are breastfeeding a baby.
    Apart from high nicotine content, a stick of cigarette contains a lot of chemicals that is sure to harm the development of your child.
    Alcohol on the other hand is a very strong depressant, and will cause severe damages to the nervous system of the developing fetus.
    Hence, as soon as we found out we're pregnant, we should stop these practices in the benefit of our unborn child.
    Fathers must also increase their awareness about 2nd hand smoke. It's best to quit, or if not, designate an area outdoors where you can smoke away from the baby and your wife so as to decrease the potential hazard.

27. Elsa

Yes, @Jasmin Cottontail. I think it's unfair, too, and one can't help but ask why.

28. Elsa

Smoking and drinking when one is pregnant is not cool at all. I feel sorry for the kids of these irresponsible women. It's so sad and makes me angry.

29. Elsa

You're right @kamai, 'selfish' would be the right description for women who smoke and drink when pregnant. I don't think they actually comprehend the responsibilities and meaning of motherhood or parenthood. When one is a responsible and loving parent, he/she actually becomes 'selfless'.

30. Heatman

Heatman Active Member

In my opinion, whether it's done mildly or in excessive manner, none is good for the unborn child. These kids never forced any parents to get pregnant with them, so why subjecting them to any form of harm either with smoking or alcohol intake?

Pregnancy is a very delicate situation and so is the fetus inside, anything could go wrong with it if not careful. Smokes and alcohol are harmful to even the person consuming them, you can imagine what it would be doing to the fetus inside the pregnant women. Parents should be careful with what they do, eat and participate in while pregnant if they value the lives of their unborn child.