Expensive / Fancy clothing.

Discussion in 'Babies' started by Shine_Spirit, May 16, 2017.

1. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Member

Millions of parents around the world love (and find it really necessary) to dress their children in the most expensive and fancy clothes of the moment. They like their children to follow a fashion trend that they at least don't even understand the reason for using them.

What do you think about that?

Well, every family chooses how they're going to dress their children... But I particularly find it a great waste of money. I can't see any reason to spend so much money on children's clothing.

LaCupcak3 likes this.
  2. Mika

Mika Active Member

I think it's personal choice and the capacity of parents besides how they like to spend their money. I think most parents wish to spend money for shopping on their children in various ways and clothes certainly comes under that particular category where they can show off their money power. As far I am concerned I spend moderately and keeping in my mind that children go too fast and they cannot use those costly clothes after they out grow them.

3. Taliska

Taliska Active Member

With just how quickly they grow and how fast they can get dirty, I don't see any point is dressing the children up for day to day play and jobs. They can do that once they are older and take care of their clothes. I certainly use a lot of hand-me-downs for playtime and outdoors just to save money. I might buy more expensive clothes for special events like family parties, but if I let him wear them every day there'd be grass stains all over them!

4. workingbuck

workingbuck Active Member

I think it really depends if the parents can afford to buy their children expensive clothes. When I was a kid, one of my aunts who doesn't have children back then took care of shopping clothes for us. We always had expensive clothes back then but when I was around 7, I asked if they could just pick my own clothes. I didn't know a lot about money back then but I do know if the price is greater than the other. I picked my own clothes and didn't want to buy stuff that is too expensive. I remember asking them if I would buy food, what food can I buy instead of buying this shirt? I might do the same thing to my kids in the future, just so I can teach them about money as early as possible.

5. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Active Member

I believe that it's up to the parents on how would they like to spend on their children's clothing. As for me, if ever I would buy fancy clothes for my babies, I'll make sure that it won't be too costly. I do shop clothes but not too often, and when I do, I look for a classy but inexpensive one. I think you can be fancy without spending too much. Parents can buy great clothes for their children without throwing away a huge amount.

Sheenan and Elsa like this.
  6. moondebi

moondebi Member

Too many expensive clothes is indeed an indulging habit. It my spoil a child in the long run. Anyway, affluent parents could buy fancy dresses as wastage of money is not a concern for them. But, side by side, they should keep a track that their children are not getting overtly pampered.

However, if the financially sound people do not buy expensive clothes then how the businesses will survive? Money will remain accumulated to a certain section.

Sheenan likes this.
  7. kamai

kamai Active Member

I am a huge money saver so I usually shop for discountrd clothing for my daughter and they are both cute and comfortable. I feel like it's up to every parent and if they have the money and want to spend it like that then so be it it is better than them spending it on partying and such. I wouldn't personally spend it if it's not necessary but to each their own.

Sheenan likes this.
  8. tony

tony Active Member

I am not seeing it as a waste if I buy expensive clothes for my children especially if I have the money. Agreed that the children are still growing and in a short time will outgrow the clothes but know that if the clothes are of good quality they can still serve others or the younger ones to come. On the other hand if the resources are limited it's okay to get less expensive clothes for the kids in the meantime.

9. James McAllister

James McAllister Kinacle Employee Staff Member

Well, I'll admit my view is a little bit biased because we sell more expensive, higher-end clothing than most of our competitors.

First and foremost you need to look at the true costs of the clothing by asking yourself some questions.

1. Are you factoring in the costs of clothing ripping, tearing, or falling apart that's so common with cheaper brands? If the clothing is useless in a month and you have to buy significantly more garments over the time period that size is meant for, it could end up being more expensive.
    2. Will you be having more children? If replacing cheap clothing isn't a money saver in itself, this definitely will be. A good quality piece of clothing can be passed down to 2, 3, or even more children.
    3. What's comfort worth to you?
    There's a lot of factors that go into play. Everything from overall price as just mentioned to little things like the snaps of bodysuits opening easily (forcing you to constantly have to resnap them) and a plethora of other things.

We don't have the cheapest prices but we do have the best value, and in my eyes that's far more important.

10. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Active Member

I always go for comfort and convenience when it comes to clothing. For babies, it is always the cotton material for their regular wear. But for occasions, I agree with fancy clothes just to jive with the atmosphere of the event. It is corny if there is a grand celebration and your baby wears the same ordinary clothes that the baby wears every day. With the cost of the clothes, I don't really care as long as the parents would be happy and can afford the price then go ahead.

Elsa likes this.
  11. Mika

Mika Active Member

@James McAllister I think most of us have no problem with price for higher-end clothing but what I feel is that some brands try to cash-out their brand by over charging for the material and workmanship competitively at much higher rate what others are offering at lower price. Maybe they have reasons to do that like higher expenses, publicity and advertisement etc but why should consumer take the burden for a business's advantage. I have personally known two similar products being sold at different prizes with no proper reasoning other than more expenses by one brand.

12. Elsa

Elsa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

I agree with you @Alexandoy regarding going for comfortable clothes, and to go for fancy ones if the occasion requires it. Parents only want the best for their kids so if they can afford it, why not.

For casual/everyday wear, I think it's okay to buy wisely because eventually they will outgrow it. As @Mika and @Taliska said, children grow fast and would outgrow their clothes quickly.

When they have reached the peak of their growth, then we can buy them fancier or more expensive clothes that they can use for a longer period. The same goes for shoes.

13. Kat

Kat New Member

Well, if they can afford it and that's how they want to do it, then I guess it's fine. I wouldn't spend in that though, babies grow so fast. For me, the best is to have a few basic pieces for the baby. After that, they'll just keep growing, so I don't see the point in spending great amounts on it. Besides, kids love to play and they can be a bit messy. For something special, sure I would pick something nicer. But if it's for every day then I'd go for something nice and comfortable.

Elsa likes this.
  14. iamawriter

iamawriter Active Member

Fancy and comfort can both go hand in hand. These days with just one or two kids it is th e aspiration of every parent to give the best to their children and dressing up is part of it. If parents are poor and spend money on clothes but not feed their children that would be bad.

Elsa likes this.
  15. harijobs

harijobs Member

Well, it differs from person to person and it is a personal choice. But my personal opinion would be to spend an optimal amount in kids clothing. I would buy them comfortable cost and optimal cost because they would not be knowing about the fashion trend. I think it is wise to buy them expensive clothes when they grow up as they will know about the trends available. :)

Elsa likes this.
  16. Elsa

So right, @iamawriter. Parents should know their priorities when it comes to their kids. For those who have a lot to spend, why not. But for those who do not have the luxury, they should prioritize food, healthcare and education.

17. Elsa

Correct @harijobs. Babies/Kids do not care how expensive their clothes are because they are too young to understand these things. As long as they are comfortable, they're fine with it. It's mostly for the parents' satisfaction to buy expensive clothing for their kids. But if you do have the means, you can buy fancy ones but make sure they're of really good, durable quality.

harijobs likes this.
  18. tyche

tyche Active Member

Well everyone has a choice on how they want to spend their money, so we really have no say on how parents want to dress their children. If they can afford to be extravagant, so be it. My parents were simple people and they dressed us in simple clothes, although our shoes were mostly branded.

19. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

This really does not make any sense when the kids seem to grow out of their clothes about every month, so this one escapes me, but I would not be surprised to see some people out there going the extra mile, and spending the extra money.

20. littlewitch66

littlewitch66 Active Member

By coincidence I was watching a tv programme on this yesterday. I think it was called Baby Bling. It was about mothers who were obsessed with dressing their kids in the latest fashions and jewellery. Some of them even went without essentials to be able to afford the expensive clothes and one woman had two of each outfit in case they went out and the child got one dirty! Too weird.

I felt sorry for some of the children as they were not allowed to play and get dirty like other kids in case they spoiled their clothes. I wonder how it will affect them in later life.

21. Risa

Risa Starlight Baby Employee Staff Member

For me, I'll go for the price that matches the quality and the looks of the clothing. I also have a lot of hand-me-downs like @Taliska and I find them very useful for my kids for their everyday wear.

However as a mom, I also would like to show off my kids to everyone, like in special occasions, family gathering, or simply when malling or going out to the park. I want them to look presentable and comfortable at the same time. I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks more for a higher end clothing if it could really match my standards regarding comfort and style.

22. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuha Member

I actually second you on that one, for a couple of reasons. First of all I don't think that kids appreciate it at all. They will still go ahead and spill everything from coloured liquids such as tea and food on the clothing. This, over time, leaves unwashable stains that renders the cloth somehow, less useful.

Another thing, I just do know what genetic mechanism children have these days, but they are growing at a neck-breaking speed. This means that within a short period of time, they will outgrow the clothes, now not leaving the clothes less useful, but completely useless. Last but not not least, fashion nowadays, just like technology, is changing rapidly. So basically I do not think there is any particular way one can keep up with it.

Therefore, parents should buy clothes necessary to keep the baby warm and covered. However I do not think that maybe one or two expensive clothes would do much harm.

23. Holmes22

Holmes22 Active Member

Oh no, the mere existence of a show called Baby Bling makes me want to just give up. I know that the majority of average people scoff at these shows too, but even knowing some out there subscribe to it is unnerving to me.

24. Rock1987

Rock1987 New Member

I look for good but not expensive clothes. I take into consideration the comfort of the baby. Cheap clothes can also provide comfort to the baby. Buying branded and expensive clothes for the baby seems irrelevant to me. I look for cute looking clothes that are least expensive

25. tallulah

tallulah Active Member

This has been argued back and forth. But I don't think it can change much about how parents spend on their kids especially new babies. A parent will spend as much as they can if they can afford to, if they think it will help the child. I do agree with some of the sentiment expressed here. Kids don't really need expensive fancy clothes especially at the age that they grow, roll and romp on the floor. Also if they are always at home and don't attend go to a day care center, they don't need a lot of expensive clothes. But again, its a parents choice.

26. LaCupcak3

LaCupcak3 New Member

@Shine_Spirit I totally agree with you there. I think a lot of parents probably do this to celebrate and express their excitement through the kids (maybe). Kids grow so fast and they new clothes becomes old clothes really quick. It is certainly a waste of money, and kids are kids, there's dirt, food stains, paint, markers and everything. The "new clothes" go through a washing machine numerous times in the same month, and sometimes needs extra special cleaning. A lot of parents that are materialistic and want their kids to be, "model-status", kids with "too much swag", and dressed to "impress" because they are influenced to think that they have to compete with other parents. It even get as deep as, to them if you buy your kid the latest "threads" ALL THE TIME it shows that you are "officially" a "good parent", or that you love them more than the next one that doesn't; not even having anything to do with bonding with the kids. Hate this, but some parents do think they can buy their children's love and happiness through these "top-of-the-line" clothes or other merchandise which is sad, and sometimes belittle their own friends or families. Not all of them are like that, but its just sad that there are some that exists. Although sometimes it's nice to have something "brand-spanking-new" every once in awhile, but the kids can get the same look or better, shopping in the bargain section.

27. Kammy

Kammy New Member

\Clothing for children now a days has many forms, sizes and styles.There is a wide array of clothing to choose from. \It doesn't really matter if the clothing is expensive or not as long as its quality is good and the baby or toddler is comfortable with it

28. BelindaMT

BelindaMT New Member

I agree with you that buying expensive clothes for children is a waste of money because they grow so fast. I usually spend it on toys instead. It makes them happy and that was priceless. Children cannot appreciate expensive clothes but they really appreciate toys whether it is cheap or not.I only buy expensive clothes for my children in special occasion only like their birthday and school Christmas Party.

29. Miches

Miches Active Member

I've always opted to buy comfortable clothes when my son was a baby and they're not necessarily fancy ones. Comfortable clothes are usually simple but high quality clothes that can withstand the wear and tear of repeated wearing and washing for months. I don't mind paying more for quality when it comes to clothes as it will also mean that the baby will be comfortable and less likely to be cranky. As for fancy clothes, there are occasions when babies can use them and I can't blame the parents for wanting their babies to be on their best attire on important occasions.

30. Elsa

That is so sad to hear. What kind of parents do not allow their kids to play? These days, experts are advising parents to lessen screen time (from mobiles, computers and TVs) because it impairs a child's development. Experts say the lack of actual playtime "affects emotional development, leading to the rise of anxiety, depression, and problems of attention and self control."

nangk08 and littlewitch66 like this.